• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Werribee Treatment Plant list (1 Viewer)

MikeMules

Werribee T.P. is the sewerage farm for the Greater Melbourne area. It hosts up to 200 000 waders annually. I've just started visiting it (3 times to date), and to keep my list for it in order, I'll post it here, and add to it as I see more. The list is as follows (in approximate taxonomic order, and following Christidis & Boles for names.

Hoary-headed Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Black Swan
Cape Barren Goose
Pacific Black Duck
Mallard*
Australian Shelduck
Australasian Shoveller
Chestnut Teal
Grey Teal
Pink-eared Duck
Hardhead
Blue-billed Duck
Musk Duck
Freckled Duck
Pelican
Little Pied Cormorant
Pied Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Darter
White-faced Heron
Straw-necked Ibis
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Royal Spoonbill
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Black-shouldered Kite
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Whistling Kite
Swamp Harrier
Black Kite
Brown Goshawk
Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Eurasian Coot
Purple Swamphen
Dusky Moorhen
Common Greenshank
Marsh Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper
Black-tailed Godwit
Pectoral Sandpiper
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Red-necked Stint
Curlew Sandpiper
Pied Oystercatcher
Black-winged Stilt
Banded Stilt
Red-necked Avocet
Masked Lapwing
Red-capped Dotterel
Double-banded Plover
Silver Gull
Pacific Gull
Whiskered Tern
White-winged Black Tern
Crested Tern
Spotted Turtledove*
Feral Pigeon*
Crested Pigeon
Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo
Superb Fairy-wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Striated Fieldwren
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
White-plumed Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
White-fronted Chat
Willie Wagtail
Grey Fantail
Magpie Lark
Dusky Woodswallow
Magpie
Welcome Swallow
Fairy Martin
Tree Martin
Little Raven
Skylark*
Singing Bushlark
Australasian (Richard's) Pipit
Golden-headed Cisticola
Clamorous Reed-Warbler
Little Grassbird
House Sparrow*
Goldfinch*
Greenfinch*
Silvereye
Common Starling*
Common Myna*

* denotes introduced species

91 spp. (to date)

Good list idea Mike.

Aren't treatment plants dreamy!

One of my favorites is in Las Vegas, Nevada. It's called the Henderson Water Treatment Facility. To the birds it is an oasis of water in the desert. Every bird with half a brain shows up. You can just stand there and tick them off.

dennis

Very impressive. I have heard more than once that water treatment plants are a great place to observe a great many diffterent birds. My problem here is that the water treatment plants are all under tight security right now.
A fellow audubon member has invited me to a seagul count at the local dump and I think I will have to take him up on it. Never went birding in a dump before.

Some fine birds there Mike, I'll look for a similar place if I go to Brisbane again next year as half-planned.

One of my favourite haunts in suburban Iceland is the sewage pipe in Hafnarfjördur, just south of Reykjavik. There are usually large groups of ducks and gulls in winter, including a regular drake American Wigeon and other things like Green-winged Teal and Kumlien's Gull turn up, along with the masses of Wigeon, Teal, Iceland Gull and Glaucous Gull.

I think we could form a club, Sewage Birders or something!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back