Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 15th August 2005, 01:18   #1
VAboy

New to the board and----help with binoculars!

Hi all.

I'm new to the board and new to birding (I love viewing all wildlife).

Here is my problem, I had the Swarovski EL 8.5x42---which I was just forced to sell. Now I am in the market for a cheaper binocular. I live out in the boonies so I can't go to the nearest optics dealer and do a comparison.
I have done my research and have narrowed the list down to these----by the way, they have to be waterproof and fogproof.

Bausch & Lomb 8x42 Elite model #620842 $550 and supposed to be new in the box.

Leica 8x32 BA---used and I have heard Leica's service isn't as good on second hand bino's.

Nikon 8x42 Venturer LX---refurbs for $650

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP---new with warranty (My wife owned the DCF WP model once and it was very good for the money)

I really need to stay under $700 if possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I hated to see the EL's go, but I had to. They were superb.
Old Monday 15th August 2005, 01:26   #2
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Hello VAboy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Not having tried all of the above bins I can't be of much help to you but we have about a gazillion threads on all of these I believe so if you have a bit of time you might want to hit some of our earlier threads. Good luck with your purchase.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 15th August 2005, 04:41   #3
elkcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAboy
Hi all.

Here is my problem, I had the Swarovski EL 8.5x42---which I was just forced to sell. Now I am in the market for a cheaper binocular. I live out in the boonies so I can't go to the nearest optics dealer and do a comparison.
I have done my research and have narrowed the list down to these----by the way, they have to be waterproof and fogproof.

Leica 8x32 BA---used and I have heard Leica's service isn't as good on second hand bino's.

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP---new with warranty (My wife owned the DCF WP model once and it was very good for the money)

I really need to stay under $700 if possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard!

In my opinion the Nikon 8x42 Venturer or B&L Elite (if it's the waterproof model) are outstanding. In fact, after a while you might forget the loss of your 8.5x42s. Although my preferences run towards Swaro SLCs, I'd put either one of these in the same category.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.
Elkcub
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 15th August 2005, 04:46   #4
denco@comcast.n

Check out the Cornell Study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAboy
Hi all.

Here's the link to the recent Cornell Study which tested alot of binoculars some of which you are considering. In my opinion the results are pretty meaningful. Here's the link:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publica...Age_Binos.html

Dennis
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: