Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 19th September 2005, 00:13   #1
Goatnose
Inspired by IBW

Whooping Cranes Arkansas

Saw my first Whooping Crane today. Three mature mixed in with Great Egrets(or Common Egrets) in a fresh cut rice field. Location was off Hwy 165 east of Humnoke, Ar and just east of the area know as Two Bayou.Importance is that if you are in this area in search of the Ivory Billed then Humnoke is about 30 minutes south west of the Ivory Billed sighting area, important if you wish to log them to your list. Saw two bunches of Blue Winged Teal also today, makes me want to believe that the fall migration is under way. Happy birding!
Old Monday 19th September 2005, 00:18   #2
birdpotter

Cool, I didn't realize Whooping Cranes traveled through Arkansas. I thought their migration took them a little further west than that.

Best
Elizabeth
BF Supporter 2005
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 19th September 2005, 00:22   #3
samuel walker
It's OK to be a little blue........

congrats on a nice tick goat.You have all the best ones there including the Ivorybilled.Have a terrific Fall migration.
Sam
1969-1972
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 03:59   #4
Goatnose
Inspired by IBW

Receive a questionaire document from Arkansas Audubon today concerning this sighting. I intend to reply however I am in question myself because if these birds were not Whooping Cranes then what were they? They flew as Whoopers(back riding higher over head or legs) and were big enough to be Whoopers and ruling out Snow Goose or White Pelican is a no brainer. However the black demonstrated on their primaries did extend to their secondaries. Pictures and descriptions of Whoopers, that I have been able to find, do not show the secondaries as black. The secondaries were black. The crown was visibly a striking color. Any ideas that would assist me with a response to this questionaire? Please advise.
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 09:29   #5
Dimitris
Birdwatcher in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnose
Receive a questionaire document from Arkansas Audubon today concerning this sighting. I intend to reply however I am in question myself because if these birds were not Whooping Cranes then what were they? They flew as Whoopers(back riding higher over head or legs) and were big enough to be Whoopers and ruling out Snow Goose or White Pelican is a no brainer. However the black demonstrated on their primaries did extend to their secondaries. Pictures and descriptions of Whoopers, that I have been able to find, do not show the secondaries as black. The secondaries were black. The crown was visibly a striking color. Any ideas that would assist me with a response to this questionaire? Please advise.

Just reply saying exactly what you saw

Cheers,

Dimitris.

P.S. If you are 100% that you saw white Cranes.Then there's nothing else they could possibly be but Whoopers.
Old Tuesday 4th October 2005, 03:31   #6
Goatnose
Inspired by IBW

O.K. I must apolozise to the forum. I reported Whooping Cranes in Arkansas. After further study and a letter from the Arkansas Audobon society I must retract my report. Arkansas Audobon informed me that Whooping Cranes have not been seen in Arkansas since 1914. Well, this drove me to research the archives and after that research the behavior and markings of the birds I observed point toward Wood Ibis. Wood Ibis is a bird now that I will never forget. In reference "In Search Of The Ivory Billed" Jerome A. Jackson as he quotes J. Dennis "No one wants to experience the kind of inquisition that awaits anyone who does not have incontrovertible proof of a sighting".
On the other hand in quote of Dr. Jackson (same reference page 245}"To be sure, most reports are in error".
The inquisition I am experiencing now is real, the amature that I am is acceptable to me, the prognosis that this inquisition will happen to me again is favorable. I will put my boots back on this weekend and search again and I will most likly report sightings that are not "incontrovertible" in the (hopefully distant)future and I hope you will forgive me again, I am but an amature bird watcher that enjoys this nitch maybe too much.
Old Tuesday 4th October 2005, 03:51   #7
Dave B Smith

Goatnose,
Don't worry, we've all missed some ID's. At least you got good enough details to properly ID it once you were questioned. "Wood Ibis" is now "Wood Stork" to prevent any confusion to readers. Keep watching and keep reporting.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: