Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 21st October 2005, 20:04   #1
buckskin hawk
Oklahoma Birder

Oxley Nature Center & Tulsa--We are Back!

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we broke record heat with temperatures above 90 each day. Thursday afternoon a cold from came through and MY WORD everythings is excited including me!

At Oxley Nature Center on a short walk of about 1.5 hours, I found

Red Shouldered Hawks-2 on the golf course and 2 at the nature center.
Red Tailed Hawks 4 being chased by a crow on the golf course.
Mallards 10
Several unidentified ducks that were smaller than a mallard and had a white band like a teal. They were too far away. Oh for a scope!
Canadian Geese -lots on the golf course
Crows and assortment of blackbirds - They are beginning to develop large flocks with starlings, cowbirds, common grackles, great tailed grackles and red winged blackbirds.
White Throated Sparrows - They were very busy and all over. None singing but making that SSSSTS call note.
Carolina Chickadees - numerous and fun to watch
Great Blue Heron - several scattered all over the golf course and at the nature center- They were moving about quite a bit.
Great White Egret- They should leave very soon. I was surprised to see any but I found about 4.
Kildeer- They were in the mudflats along with several unidentified peeps which also should be gone by now.
Group of wrens about a dozen- I saw them but they wouldn't let me get a good look. An experienced birder said they were Carolina, marsh and Sedge. (A sedge wren would have been a lifer for me but I just couldn't get any of them to hold still long enough to see any markings.)
Northern Flicker 1- On top of a dead tree sitting next to a Robin
Robins- lots It must have been a good year.
Belted Kingfisher 1- This was a new find at Oxley for me.
Downy Woodpecker 6- I stopped counting but they were numerous.
Yellow Rumped Warblers lots During the fall this one is our most abundant and although I have been searching I apparently have missed the Orage crowned warblers, Nashville warblers, Yellow warblers and others. The yellow-rumped are the most numerous and last to migrate through my county.

Earlier this week we had still had the flycatchers but I didn't see any at Oxley. They should be flying south. I think things this year are a little slow. The White Throated Sparrows are the first of the sparrows to return for the winter so maybe this is the beginning.

Still no ducks to speak of. I am lacking several ducks on my list and will have to wait another week or two most likely. This evening, I'll try walking my pecan grove and of course, I will have to work my horses out at the barn. The horses are "excited" about the cool weather too. It's bucking season!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: