Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2005, 18:11   #1
strongbow

sparrow with white feathers??

hi im pretty new to bird watching/feeding but not to bad at identifing birds or so i thought i have a bird at my table that is the size of a sparrow but with green finch markings but coloured snow white (male greenfinch) anybody shed any light on this please looked in all my books no matches found
Old Tuesday 8th November 2005, 21:53   #2
Squirrel

Hi Strongbow. Do you mean the bird is predominantly snow white all over? Could you be a little more specific about the markings? Don't suppose you have a photo...?

Also, just a suggestion, but it might be useful to ask this question in the bird ID section/forum - people are very helpful with IDs there and you might get more response. Just a thought!
Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 07:21   #3
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Probably a leucistic ("partial albino" in common parlance, though leucism isn't really the same as albinism) common bird, I'd have thought - there's a few leucistic blackbirds and crows in the gallery, but the same condition can occur in any bird.

Photo would be good though...

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk
BF Supporter 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 07:34   #4
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Partial albinism is fairly common in sparrows, locally we have them ranging from ones with a single white feather to ones that are mainly white. Attched is a photo of amale house sparrow with white tail feathers, one of the local females has as much white in eth wing as a snow bunting (but alas no photos of her yet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housesparrow041105a.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	33751  
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 12:02   #5
Nick-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbow
hi im pretty new to bird watching/feeding but not to bad at identifing birds or so i thought i have a bird at my table that is the size of a sparrow but with green finch markings but coloured snow white (male greenfinch) anybody shed any light on this please looked in all my books no matches found
Hi

Whereabouts in "sunny" Hereford are you? Don't want to miss a mega on my doorstep ! Could pop round and have a look if you like?

Nick
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: