• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jankowski's Bunting (1 Viewer)

Hi,

learned the other day that Jankowski's Bunting is apparently in free fall to extinction at the moment...it is getting extremely scarce now.

planning a trip to Mancuhria (next May) to see it. Also possible are 6 species of
crane including Red-crowned.

Does anyone know anything about the situation? It's the first i've heard...

Tim

Seems that changing land use is doing for more than Sociable Plover in the east. I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise to us - intensifying agriculture knackered the diversity of the UK's countryside (cf Cirl and Corn Bunting, Wryneck, Red-backed Shrike, Stone Curlew... the familiar litany), and as other regions ratchet up their economies, there will be losses and range contractions along similar lines but, sadly, on a bigger scale.

Go see 'em while they're still there! ;)

Recent trip report:

http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=722

ce

Last edited:
Hi Jon

we are thinking of going with Jesper too, (like Alan Brown) after our Tibet trip with him. He's a great bloke and knows the birds as well as anyone....

if anyone wants any info on the trip or is interested in coming along please PM me...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back