Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 7th December 2005, 04:22   #1
mehdhalaouate
Registered User
 
mehdhalaouate's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden/Indonesia
Posts: 1,189
This one is from Sumba

Hi ,
Any suggestions?
Not the best of pics I'm afraid but I hope with the discutions we'll end up somewhere.

Regards,
Mehd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	35483  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	35484  
mehdhalaouate is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th December 2005, 07:58   #2
lou salomon
the birdonist
 
lou salomon's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 13,950
hi mehd,
can't help you with your 1st bird, but i think the wader is a sanderling.
__________________
lou
lou salomon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th December 2005, 09:13   #3
cuckooroller
Registered User
 
cuckooroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Amelia, Italy
Posts: 4,915
Mehd,
Tough angle on the first one, gut reaction is a Phyllosc. Will try and tease it out later with more time. The second, and as much as I stink generally on waders does look a Sanderling.
__________________
________________
Steve Pryor
Oriental Bird Club
Neotropical Bird Club
cuckooroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th December 2005, 14:01   #4
cuckooroller
Registered User
 
cuckooroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Amelia, Italy
Posts: 4,915
Here goes: I have three candidates; borealis may winter there; coronatus may winter there; and trivirgatus trivirgatus shoud be resident. I will eliminate trivirgatus for the following reasons, of just about all Phylloscopus species trivirgatus has the smallest spiky-like short little bill of the genus - this one has too much bill. Moreover, I just can't see the amount of black on the head that I should see. The differentiation of the other two is more difficult. First, the photo itself has a flash-point right on the lower belly. This seems to wash-out any color existing near the vent, and throws the upper belly and breast colors into shadow. Another problem is that there is a twig intervening in the view of the caudad extent of the supercilium. The supercilium itself would appear to have a yellowish tinge, and not whitish or buff. I think I can possibly make out that there should be some yellow at the vent in spite of the flash point. Therefore, my guess is that this may be Phylloscopus coronatus.
__________________
________________
Steve Pryor
Oriental Bird Club
Neotropical Bird Club
cuckooroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 15:59   #5
cuckooroller
Registered User
 
cuckooroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Amelia, Italy
Posts: 4,915
Just to bump it up for other opinions.
__________________
________________
Steve Pryor
Oriental Bird Club
Neotropical Bird Club
cuckooroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 16:12   #6
Edward woodwood
Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,309
can sort of see the case for Mountain Leaf Steve but i'm going for Arctic due to legs and whiteness below, supercilium, and bill with paler lowqer mandible

can't help thinking MLW must show more yello even in heavy flash?
Edward woodwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 16:21   #7
Rob Hutchinson
Soft Lad
 
Rob Hutchinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooroller
Here goes: I have three candidates; borealis may winter there; coronatus may winter there; and trivirgatus trivirgatus shoud be resident. I will eliminate trivirgatus for the following reasons, of just about all Phylloscopus species trivirgatus has the smallest spiky-like short little bill of the genus - this one has too much bill. Moreover, I just can't see the amount of black on the head that I should see. The differentiation of the other two is more difficult. First, the photo itself has a flash-point right on the lower belly. This seems to wash-out any color existing near the vent, and throws the upper belly and breast colors into shadow. Another problem is that there is a twig intervening in the view of the caudad extent of the supercilium. The supercilium itself would appear to have a yellowish tinge, and not whitish or buff. I think I can possibly make out that there should be some yellow at the vent in spite of the flash point. Therefore, my guess is that this may be Phylloscopus coronatus.
Steve,

I would agree with your evaluation that it is either borealis or coronatus, difficult to evaluate the colour of the undertail coverts accurately thanks to the flash but there does appear to be a hint of yellow. The supercilium does seem to have a yellow tinge so coronatus would be my favourite.

Rob
Rob Hutchinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 16:24   #8
Rob Hutchinson
Soft Lad
 
Rob Hutchinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
can sort of see the case for Mountain Leaf Steve but i'm going for Arctic due to legs and whiteness below, supercilium, and bill with paler lowqer mandible

can't help thinking MLW must show more yello even in heavy flash?
I think Mountain Leaf Warbler is restricted to Lombok within Wallacea?
Rob Hutchinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 16:42   #9
Edward woodwood
Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hutchinson
I think Mountain Leaf Warbler is restricted to Lombok within Wallacea?
how do you remember that Rob?... impressive..

was sitting in the dark nursing a hangover but checked in Wallacea and yer right... also on Sumbawa too...

can't see much of that yellow but i'll defer to you two on this one

tim
Edward woodwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 16:58   #10
Rob Hutchinson
Soft Lad
 
Rob Hutchinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
how do you remember that Rob?... impressive..

was sitting in the dark nursing a hangover but checked in Wallacea and yer right... also on Sumbawa too...

can't see much of that yellow but i'll defer to you two on this one

tim
Couldn't honestly say that the hint of yellow on the undertail isn't an effect of the flash but the super does seem to have a yellow tinge, difficult to call from this shot...

Good luck with that hangover....
Rob Hutchinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2005, 17:14   #11
cuckooroller
Registered User
 
cuckooroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Amelia, Italy
Posts: 4,915
Rob, Tim,
You may be right on the ranging (or not in this case, of trivirgatus). I need better books for range extensions. I have it as far east in the Sundas as Sumbawa (pretty close to Sumba), and also in nw Borneo. I sometimes extrapolate ranges from my sources as they do not list every little island and here I probably figured that if it could get from the Sundas to nw Borneo, then it could probably also get to Sumba from Sumbawa. Probably wrong.
__________________
________________
Steve Pryor
Oriental Bird Club
Neotropical Bird Club
cuckooroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bird from Sumba island mehdhalaouate Bird Identification Q&A 7 Wednesday 7th December 2005 03:56
Indonesian IBAs lack protection Birdforum Conservation 0 Thursday 18th September 2003 16:03

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.16975307 seconds with 23 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:45.