Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 13:20   #1
Ben Nevis

Talking Birdies on the Golf Course

I live near a Links Golf Course which is for the most part,surrounded by the North Sea.Today while out for a walk,I had an Albino Oyster Catcher and a Short eared Owl.I also remember years ago,seeing two Capercaillies in the rough,next to the woods at Grantown on Spey Golf Course.Obviously Golf Courses are havens for birds,has anyone had a similar experience on a Golf Course ?
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 13:25   #2
Craftycarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis
I live near a Links Golf Course which is for the most part,surrounded by the North Sea.Today while out for a walk,I had an Albino Oyster Catcher and a Short eared Owl.I also remember years ago,seeing two Capercaillies in the rough,next to the woods at Grantown on Spey Golf Course.Obviously Golf Courses are havens for birds,has anyone had a similar experience on a Golf Course ?
I have seen a Caper on the Comrie ( Perthshire) golf course, it used to chase the golf balls.
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 16:19   #3
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis
I guess you were down at Girdle Ness today. I think Grantown Golf Course was supposed to be a reliable site for Capers years ago - don't know if that's still the case. I've also seen Richard's Pipit, Red-backed Shrike and various raptors and migrants on St Andrews Golf Course.

Listening to Birds
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 16:45   #4
Ben Nevis

Thumbs up Birdies on the Golf Course

Correct Andrew.I have also seen Foxes and Roe Deer on the course as well.Other birds of note on the course have been Hoopoe,Red backed Shrike and Barred Warbler.The woods (Anagach) in Grantown still hold "Capers" but in very small numbers compared to when I seen them in the 1970s.No surprise that a Fifer knows his golf courses..!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: