Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 16:01   #1
Keith Glasgow

Peregrine painting

I've just finished a painting (oil)of a juv. Peregrine tiercel. I'll try to attach the image, tho' I'm not that great with computers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1669 (1).JPG
Views:	452
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	40313  
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 16:07   #2
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

That is a fantastic painting you've done Zek. You know just enough about computers to get the pic on line, but you know an awful lot more about painting.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 16:13   #3
Beverlybaynes
Mod Squad

Wow, zek -- that's lovely!

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
--Langston Hughes

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 16:16   #4
postcardcv
Super Moderator

wow - very impressive

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 16:40   #5
SueO

Really nice, zek.
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 17:25   #6
Keith Glasgow

thanks for your replies - the painting is 20"H x 30"W though the gallery owner has since chopped the picture in half, and framed it. The framed image is now 20"H x 16"W and concentrates on the bird. I'm still not totally sure if he's done the right thing, but it's done now.
I'll have to learn a bit more about computers - the image turned out a little 'grey' and vague for my liking.
Btw, the peregrine is from Northen Ireland (where I live), - it was found last autumn with some shot in its wing, but has since made a remarkable recovery. When I photographed it, it was able to fly well, tho' not strongly.
The background mountains are the '12 Bens' in Connemara, Co Galway, Ireland, tho' lets face it - they could be anywhere!

thanks again,
Keith.
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 17:37   #7
tom24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zek
thanks for your replies - the painting is 20"H x 30"W though the gallery owner has since chopped the picture in half, and framed it. The framed image is now 20"H x 16"W and concentrates on the bird. I'm still not totally sure if he's done the right thing, but it's done now.
I'll have to learn a bit more about computers - the image turned out a little 'grey' and vague for my liking.
Btw, the peregrine is from Northen Ireland (where I live), - it was found last autumn with some shot in its wing, but has since made a remarkable recovery. When I photographed it, it was able to fly well, tho' not strongly.
The background mountains are the '12 Bens' in Connemara, Co Galway, Ireland, tho' lets face it - they could be anywhere!

thanks again,
Keith.
Great painting Keith.I can see where you're coming from re: cropping.
I'd prefer the original wide view encompassing the surrounding habitat,but that's just me.I'm sure there's plenty who'd prefer the crop and will purchase for the bird itself.(Don't mean i prefer the background to the bird..ach you know what i mean).
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 17:40   #8
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Top painting Keith, well impressed.

S. G.
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 18:06   #9
London Birder

equally impressed zek
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 18:20   #10
John N
Super Moderator & Baggeridge Birder

Very impressive. Well done.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st March 2006, 07:33   #11
PaulS

Very nice
Old Wednesday 1st March 2006, 23:34   #12
Ben Nevis

Nice one Zek.
Old Thursday 2nd March 2006, 16:18   #13
Mary

Stunning, Zek. Can we see some more, please?!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:09   #14
Skipton
Trevor Wood

Lovely painting, Zec...... well done.

Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd March 2006, 21:54   #15
Hidde Bruinsma

Great painting, Keith. My compliments.

May I ask you who your influences are. I can see a bit of R. David Digby and Robert Bateman in this work. Well, as it used to be. I'm sure that the chopping-happiness of your gallery owner has given it a very different effect now. Perhaps cutting the cord with him would be a wise choise ?
Old Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:04   #16
dave123

great painting zek. shouldn't have let him crop it
Old Friday 3rd March 2006, 08:53   #17
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zek

thanks again,
Keith.
I would personally throttle any gallery owner that cropped one of my paintings, but only AFTER I had made him pay me the full asking price for the painting and removed any remaining work from the reach of his destructive urges.

Nice work, find a gallery owner that appreciates it.

Woody
Old Friday 3rd March 2006, 14:59   #18
Craig Houghton
Artist, Illustrator, and Beginning Birder

I agree with Woody. Before even reading the post I'd noticed the large dreamy open space and thought, "that's a falcon with lot on his mind." "He's got a job to do, but he'll be up to it, and at it, before the moment has passed." I liked it as-is.

Great painting!

-Craig
Old Friday 3rd March 2006, 17:08   #19
Keith Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidde Bruinsma
Great painting, Keith. My compliments.

May I ask you who your influences are. I can see a bit of R. David Digby and Robert Bateman in this work. Well, as it used to be. I'm sure that the chopping-happiness of your gallery owner has given it a very different effect now. Perhaps cutting the cord with him would be a wise choise ?
I love the raptor paintings of George Edward Lodge (falconer/taxidermist/artist) who lived back in the first half of the 20th Century. He was an English artist and illustrated the 12 volumes of Bannermans 'Birds of the British Isles'.
I'm also fascinated by the artwork of Rien Poortvliet (sp?) a Dutch artist who died a few years ago. I have a book or two of Robert Batemans work, and yes, I think you're right about his influence. Raymond Harris-Ching is another bird artist that has impressed me - I love his work. Possibly the greatest influence has been another bird artist from Northern Ireland called Julian Friers. I used to stand in the same gallery that I mentioned, and wonder at his work - it amazed me! Now my work hangs alongside his, tho' his are still about 5 times the price of mine - I'll be a while at catching up

Sometimes when I'm painting, I get a small niggling notion that something's not quite right - it's only a notion, and I push it to the back of my mind. I try to ignore it, I talk myself round it, I convince myself that the problem doesn't really exist, ........and then my wife walks in and right away points out the very thing that was troubling me! All along I should have listened to my niggling notion. Well it was much the same in the gallery. Painting pictures, framing pictures and selling pictures are all separate disciplines. I paint pictures and I trust my gallery owner to look after the framing and selling. And I'll have to be fair - he's a very successful business man with many years experience in the art world, and up untill now I think he's got it right. When he suggested cutting the painting, I had slight misgivings, but he should know what he's doing, so I let him. Big mistake I suppose! Well ever since, that niggling notion has been troubling me again. And now the Birdforum members have confirmed it - he should have kept it the way it was!!

thanks for your response,
Keith.
Old Monday 6th March 2006, 17:42   #20
cHARm

Hi Keith... live and learn, I guess... NEVER let anyone touch your work without your express permission!! You are the artist and fabulously talented! Your vision for this painting was what should have been framed... Never mind... you can create more and I look forward to seeing them...

Have you visited www.wetcanvas.com? It's an artists' website and there is an oil forum that I'm sure you'd enjoy... Not only can you post your work here on this fantastic site, but you can also get the help/advice/critiques you want/need from other artists!
Old Monday 6th March 2006, 20:08   #21
Marmot

Can I say another Wow.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th April 2006, 19:39   #22
Okwaho
Cherokee Nation

Really cool, except I don't know how I feel about the hills.
Old Monday 17th April 2006, 15:04   #23
Gill Osborne

Asolutely FABULOUS painting Zek!

It looks nice cropped but DOES have that added wildness to it with the mountains left in - ALWAYS listen to those little voices in your head!!! If you are having ANY doubts whatsoever then don't do something...you'll only regret it

Look forward to seeing more of your work!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th April 2006, 16:52   #24
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

fantastic painting,wish i could paint like that....but

you either can or you can't...and i can't

matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: