• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white Gull who can ID this bird? (1 Viewer)

Hello
the pic was taken a few days ago at the german baltic-sea coast.
The bird seems to be a little smaller then a black-headed Gull.
Thanks

Attachments

• moewe.jpeg
    moewe.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 251
weissnix said:
Hello
the pic was taken a few days ago at the german baltic-sea coast.
The bird seems to be a little smaller then a black-headed Gull.
Thanks

It looks like a leucistic Black-headed Gull. As it's colour-ringed then, assuming it was obviously leucistic as a nestling, someone will actually know where the bird was born. I'm not sure where BHG are being colour-ringed though.

martin

Agree with Martin that it is a Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus but I suspect that it might be an escaped collection bird judging by the type of coloured rings.

Steve

Steve Lister said:
Agree with Martin that it is a Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus but I suspect that it might be an escaped collection bird judging by the type of coloured rings.

Steve

Yes, the absence of a metal ring is strange. I wonder if it might actually be a leucistic Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) rather than a Black-headed.

Stuart

StuartReeves said:
Yes, the absence of a metal ring is strange. I wonder if it might actually be a leucistic Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) rather than a Black-headed.
Stuart
The absence of a metal ring shows, for me, that the gull wasn´t banded by scientific ringers. So far as I know they put allways a metal ring of the research - center on one leg and aditionaly color - rings. Also the color rings on this gull are made in a stile which use poultry-breeders and not bird ringers.
On other pictures in the web from this bird you can recognise a dark patch above the left eye what, in my eyes, shows that the gull wear in normal colored plumage a hood.

The Silver Gull have a different bill shape and a prominent gonys what I can´t find on this bird. Also I don´t think that
somebody in europe keep gulls from australia and new zealand ;)

Conclusion: Leucistic Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus)

Stonechat1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back