Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 12:39   #1
Aschlaman@comca

Where to go to see Waxwings in US

Every time I see a picture of a Waxwing I stand in aww. Yet I have never seen one in person. Can anyone in the US. tell me where I might go to catch a glimpse?

Art Schlaman
Downers Grove, Illinois USA
Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 13:12   #2
scary-canary
Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, sometimes it's just Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschlaman@comca
Every time I see a picture of a Waxwing I stand in aww. Yet I have never seen one in person. Can anyone in the US. tell me where I might go to catch a glimpse?

Art Schlaman
I've seen cedar waxwings on several holidays to the USA. At High island Texas, Cape May, etc, so try a coastal migration hotspot in April/May.
Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 15:33   #3
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I found Cedar Waxwings to be (very) common birds in the northern US (MN, ND, SD, OH). I'd think in Illinois, it wouldn't be much different: summer is the best time. Learn their high, piercing call and you'll find them!
They are common on the Fermilab Grounds in Western Chicago, which should be quite close to you:
http://www.fnal.gov/ecology/wildlife...r_Waxwing.html
Bohemian Waxwing (which I find much prettier) is a whole other story...
Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 17:13   #4
dendroica_john

I would suggest looking for likely habitat or generally good migration spots. The birds are quite common, and are often found in large flocks.

According to CLO's All About Birds, Cedar Waxwings:

Quote:
* Breeds in open woodland, old fields with shrubs and small trees, riparian areas, farms, and suburban gardens.
* Winters in areas with fruit-bearing trees and shrubs, especially open woodlands, parks, gardens, and forest edges.
They like eating fruit, especially in winter, so keep an eye out for them in fruit-heavy areas.
Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 19:19   #5
Jaeger01

Quote:

Art Schlaman
Art, you're in the perfect area right now to see them over the next couple of months, take it you're capable of getting out (if handicapped, drop me a personal, we'll work something out). They're pretty common in a lot of places around Dupage county.

Jaeger in Hoffman Estates, IL (USA)
Old Monday 3rd April 2006, 22:37   #6
lvn600

we've got em pretty good in ct. but they aren't as predictable as some of the other birds. I do see them a lot near cedars as their name would indicate.I know of one spot near some powerlines where I see them frequently. The sound they make is kind of quiet and usually when you find one there will be a good number of them. They aren't that shy either.
They will coninue their fixation of eating berries as you stand close by watching.

Last edited by lvn600 : Tuesday 4th April 2006 at 11:08.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th April 2006, 04:32   #7
Lou G

Quote:

Art Schlaman
Had a colony of them back in early March here in south Jersey for a couple days up in my bradford pear tree out back just roosting as a group of ten. Zoomed in on them with my binos and they were beautiful birds ,very peaceful
and not at all intimidated. Did see them again a couple weeks ago but have'nt seen them since.

Lou G
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: