• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bitten by the foreign birding bug: Mallorca, April 06 (1 Viewer)

dbradnum

All,

I'll post my trip report in bite-size chunks, followed by a species-by-species list.

If anyone wants more details (I've intentionally left out site directions to stop this turning into War and Peace), please drop me a PM - happy to help.

Hope you enjoy reading this half as much as Suzanne and I enjoyed the holiday!

Cheers

Last edited:
Background & Logistics

Despite having travelled quite widely in the UK, this was my first birding trip abroad. It proved to be very productive, resulting in 19 species new to me, and a total of 116 species seen. The weather was extremely good for the time of year, with a great deal of unbroken sunshine – most days saw temperatures well up into the mid twenties. However, perhaps these clear conditions were responsible for the relatively low numbers of grounded common migrants (for instance, Redstarts and Willow Warblers)? Throughout the trip, we used Graham Hearl’s excellent guide to birding on Mallorca, which is still very accurate on the whole and comes recommended.

Suzanne (my girlfriend) and I flew with bmiBaby from Birmingham to Palma, costing £125 return per person. We hired an EasyCar for £148 for the entire trip including unlimited mileage. Driving on Mallorca was invariably straightforward (though perhaps not for the faint-hearted in the mountains!) with excellent road surfaces and little traffic.

We rented a small apartment (bargain priced at £250 overall) on the edge of Puerto Pollensa, which proved an excellent base – the town is ideally located for most birding destinations, and has a wide range of restaurants and shops, plus a new supermarket.

Saturday 1st April

After our departure was delayed by about 90 minutes, we finally arrived in Palma at 2250 local time, and collected a hire car without any problem. Despite getting a bit confused (some might say lost…) around an area of roadworks, we found the apartment just after 0100 to hear two Scops Owls calling – one in the town somewhere, and another over towards the Bocquer valley. We heard these on most evenings, from about 2115 onwards. The only concern at this stage was the complete lack of running cold water in the apartment… but getting some sleep was higher priority than sorting this out!

Sunday 2nd April

Woke up to find a beautiful sunny day and a stunning view over the Tramuntana mountains to the northwest. Still no cold water, and no sign of a stopcock anywhere… but it was time to go and explore in town. Straight out of the door, we immediately saw an iberiae Yellow Wagtail on the rough ground opposite – very smart. A couple of Yellow-legged Gulls were loafing in the bay by the Pine Walk, and the edges of Postage Stamp Wood held singing Serin, Greenfinch and Goldfinch. A Redstart was flicking about by the new main road through to Formentor.

After a quick phone call to the apartment’s owner, and opening the bizarrely located stopcock (in the bathroom ceiling!), we headed out again, initially to stock up on food, and then to the Llenaire area, south of Puerto Pollensa. We parked along the road by the Torrente Saint Jordi, and were immediately greeted by Sardinian and Fan-tailed Warblers, another iberiae wagtail and a Woodchat Shrike. At the time, I’d completely forgotten that the latter was likely to be the distinct Balearic subspecies, so didn’t pay much attention to the relevant details… good job it wasn’t the last one we saw! A Hoopoe called persistently to the south, while another one flew across the Torrent before disappearing into tall vegetation. We also saw a Hummingbird Hawkmoth here.

A very short drive took us back out to the coast, to the mouth of the Torrent S’Albufereta. Both Little-ringed and Kentish Plovers were vocal and showing well here, as we started the walk out to the mound overlooking S’Albufereta. A couple of Swallowtail butterflies were unexpected, but 2 distant Audouin’s Gulls on the main lake were perhaps more predictable, shimmering in the heat haze. Before we reached the limestone pavement area, a Hoopoe called from the roof of a small building, and gave excellent views flopping away across the fields.

We spent quite a while watching the world go by from the viewpoint, checking through numerous waterbirds. Looking back south west over the marsh, several Cattle and Little Egrets were joined by a single Great White Egret stalking about. Black-winged Stilts were very much in evidence, flying about calling in pairs, and a Corn Bunting was singing almost non-stop.

After dinner, a short evening walk to the base of the Bocquer valley didn’t offer much apart from great views, but a rather late Robin was the only one of the trip, feeding on the track.

Attachments

• alcudia bay & puerto pollensa.jpg
    alcudia bay & puerto pollensa.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 257
  • iberian wag.jpg
    iberian wag.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 282
  • torrent de s'albufereta.jpg
    torrent de s'albufereta.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Monday 3rd April

The first full day of birding kicked off with a walk through the Bocquer valley, where a Blue Rock Thrush was singing on the crags just beyond the “impressive pair of rocks” mentioned in Hearl’s book. Unfortunately, the view was directly into the sun, so we actually saw little more than a silhouette of a very long-billed thrush!

From about 1030 onwards, it was clear that some raptor passage was occurring, with birds rising from the south west and soaring along the ridge north of the valley. This was a real eye-opener – you never knew what the next bird of prey to appear on the skyline would be… After a couple of hours, we’d had excellent views of an Osprey, at least 3 Booted Eagles (probably local resident birds), a stack of 7 Buzzards and, best of all, a Black Kite. Most of these were harassed at some point or another by the local Kestrels, which never seemed to get any peace!

After lunch and a bit of touristy shopping, we drove up the road towards Formentor. First stop was the Mirador d’Albercutx, which was rather heavily populated with people enjoying the view along the mountainous peninsula. We were hoping for Crag Martin here – no luck with these, but several showy Sardinian Warblers rattled out calls. Taking the road opposite the viewpoint proved to be an good decision, since the views from the Atalaya at the top were stunning, over the Formentor peninsula to the north and back over Alcudia Bay to the south-east, and down the Tramuntana mountain range to the south-west.

Having descended again, we continued to the end of the road at the Cap Formentor lighthouse – parking here mid afternoon was a complete nightmare, definitely best visited early or late in the day to avoid swarms of people. As we enjoyed a leisurely icecream, a fishing boat came round the headland close inshore followed by about 40 shearwaters – most were Cory’s (a lifer), with a few Balearics mixed in. This was by far the closest view we got of these species, a real bonus.

After finally extricating our vehicle from the carpark unscathed, we headed back via Cases Velles, an area of fig fields by the road. Although it was clear that the site had enormous potential for passerine migrants, it is impossible to leave the road and explore. Consequently, we didn’t see much bar some flyover Crossbills, and left rather disappointed. However, things soon improved when we stopped at the Mirador again – a Crag Martin was swooping about under the path to the viewpoint, giving grandstand views, white tail panels and all!

Tuesday 4th April

While Suzanne caught up on some sleep, I had an early morning at S’Albufereta, adding a few more to the trip list. Highlights here were two Purple Gallinules, a singing Quail and rather distant Garganey.

After yesterday’s successful visit , we decided to go up to the Bocquer yet again. Once again the valley provided superb birding, initially with flyover Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, another 7+ Buzzards and two Peregrines. After being told about Marmora’s Warbler (or Balearic, if you like) showing at the far end of the valley, we wandered down, hearing a Stone Curlew en route. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, the wind was quite strong – not exactly ideal for picking up elusive warblers in dense vegetation!

Ambling back early afternoon produced one of the highlights of the holiday – one of the island’s few Egyptian Vultures drifting directly overhead, and then being mobbed by a pale phase Booted Eagle. What a bird!

After a brief siesta back in the apartment, we decided it was time to pay a visit to the highly-rated S’Albufera reserve, south-east of Alcudia. It’s no longer possible to drive down to the visitor centre, but the walk in alongside the main canal is no hardship – Cattle and Little Egrets are constantly flying over, commuting in and out of the large colony by the road, and acrobatic leaping fish provide entertainment!

Up by the visitor centre, another Great White Egret showed very well, and an Osprey hunted in the distance to the south. A Purple Gallinule appeared briefly amongst the juncus before vanishing completely – amazing, for such a large brightly coloured bird! We opted for a short walk to the CIM hide and nearby viewing mound, giving ourselves plenty of time to take the birdlife to a background of frogs and crickets. A couple of Wood Sandpipers showed very close, as did several flava race wagtails. Garganey were relatively common, with at least six giving their comb-scraping call from in front of the hide. The walk back to the car produced one more unexpected bird in the shape of a Squacco Heron, flying over the marsh – before the trip, I wasn’t sure whether these would be back on the island so early in the season. This took the trip list up to 78.

Attachments

• formentor.jpg
    formentor.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 236
  • south from cap formentor.jpg
    south from cap formentor.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 192
  • wood sand.jpg
    wood sand.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 238
  • end of the bocquer valley.jpg
    end of the bocquer valley.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 248
  • gw egret.jpg
    gw egret.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Wednesday 5th April

Another glorious day looked promising for large birds of prey, so where better to go than Cuber Reservoir? The drive there took a while, gingerly weaving around numerous cyclists, but provided fantastic views of the Tramuntana. Once we’d parked up, a quick scan over Puig Major (highest point on the island) immediately produced a Black Vulture, right on cue. I watched this enormous bird for several minutes, as it effortlessly soared about over the defence installation on the summit.

We enjoyed a lazy wander around the reservoir (which held little more than a large gathering of Yellow-legged Gulls), past the dam to the valley at the far end. Thinking that the habitat here was different to everything we’d looked at on previous days, we decided to lengthen the walk by going up the valley a bit. The decision soon paid off while we were having some lunch, as a singing Subalpine Warbler appeared in the scrubby bushes (another lifer). A Nightingale was also singing here. Further up the valley, I was convinced that I could hear a Cirl Bunting’s rather nondescript call… but after 20 minutes searching, the best I could do was a brief flight view of a probable.

Walking back along the other side of the reservoir, we stopped to look for a Blue Rock Thrush singing high above us. After a lot of scanning, we eventually found a female collecting nest material, but never did see the male! Further on, I stopped to look for a calling Blue Tit, of all things, since we hadn’t seen one thus far. Looking up at the ridge, all thoughts of parus calls went straight out of the window as three vast silhouettes broke the skyline – more Black Vultures, and excellent views this time.

Returning to the car, I spent a few minutes getting frustratingly brief views of a pipit on the shoreline… I still suspect it was a Tawny, but never got a conclusive look at it, and never did see one during the trip. We had a brief and unsuccessful look for Crag Martins at the mouth of the road tunnel by Es Gorg Blau reservoir, before taking the breathtaking twisty road down to Sa Calobra – the novelty of a road turning 270 degrees to pass under itself just had to be seen, and the countless hairpin bends were good value as well!

Thursday 6th April

After the brief visit we’d paid to the reserve on Tuesday, it was definitely time to go back and do justice to S’Albufera – we were both sure there was enough there to see for several days! Osprey was one of the star birds of the day – we saw one catch a large fish near the main entrance track, and later, one sat eating on a post in front of the Es Colombars hide. Unfortunately, the heat haze prohibited good photos (or at least that’s my excuse…)

Once again, just walking down the entrance track offered good birding, with a singing Moustached Warbler showing very well, and three Glossy Ibises circling in front of the CIM hide – another species I’d not expected to encounter. Cetti’s Warblers were absolutely everywhere, generally showing better than the ones I’m used to at home.

The first of the two Bishop hides was a superb spot to spend some time, with Black-winged Stilts nesting barely two feet outside the window, and a wide selection of breeding and passage waders (Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper, Little Stint, Kentish and Little-ringed Plovers, and more). A familiar loud song behind the hide lured me away from these for a moment: Great Reed Warbler, but not showing. Back in the hide, two Audouin’s Gulls had dropped in to rest on the mud.

A Woodchat Shrike was much more obliging near the visitor centre; with a stout bill and no primary patch I could happily clinch this one as badius, the Balearic subspecies. I was pleased to see a Crested (AKA Red-knobbed) Coot on the canal near the tower hide – this one didn’t have a neck-collar, though another remarkably tame individual on the pond near the viewing mound did. I know the population derives from a reintroduction, but are they all countable, collared or not?

A couple of terns flew over us, calling loudly – without a second thought I called them as ‘commic’, and then proceeded to rule out Arctic based on shape and wing pattern. However, after they’d disappeared, I had a moment of doubt… didn’t the book say that Common Tern was a rarity on Mallorca? Convinced that’s what they were, I spoke to one of the wardens in the visitor centre later on – it turns out that a handful of pairs now breed at S’Albufera, and are seen relatively frequently.

The only disappointment of the day came late on, as I was looking through the building numbers of hirundines and swifts from the viewing mound. Several times, I thought I’d probably got a Pallid Swift (which wouldn’t be unusual, but would be a lifer!)… but against the light, at middle distance, I couldn’t convince myself, and the flock eventually wheeled off higher into the distance.

In another bid to find Pallid Swift, we drove round to the deparadora (water treatment works) at the south end of S’Albufera, but saw very little – a couple of Shelduck, some Yellow Wagtails and a Ruff, plus a fly-past pipit that sounded rather like a Water… but didn’t stop for me to take a closer look! A brief stop by the Torrent near Llenaire turned up a smart Common Sandpiper bobbing away – nice end to the day.

Attachments

• bw stilt.jpg
    bw stilt.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 228
  • closeup bw stilt.jpg
    closeup bw stilt.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 204
  • flowers2.jpg
    flowers2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 193
  • cuber.jpg
    cuber.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 196
  • woodchat.jpg
    woodchat.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Friday 7th April

It was my turn to sleep in, while Suzanne wandered into town shopping. When we eventually made a move, it was to the Arta area, in the north-east of the island. First stop was the village of Betlem, near Colonia de Sant Pere, from where we walked north along the coast. The scenery was magnificent again, one rocky crag in particular enhanced by four or five Crag Martins wheeling to and fro above our heads. An Audouin’s Gull sat just offshore, together with several Shag. At the far end of the track, a Booted Eagle soared above us, and we got good views of a Wood Warbler – a surprisingly early individual.

The return walk was accelerated by the build-up of black clouds, and ominous rumbling of distant thunder – after a while, we could see the rain falling over Alcudia Bay, and speeded up ever more! We got back to the car with about five minutes spare before the heavens opened in fine style. I drove a short distance down into Colonia de Sant Pere before deciding that I couldn’t see enough to be safe, and parking on the seafront. The rain turned to hail, which turned to super-hail, as huge volumes of water rushed down through the village into the sea – we’d never seen anything like it. After about 15 minutes, it eventually calmed down again, and (having checked the car for dents!) we drove on to Arta itself. The hail was lying by the road in a white carpet like snow… not quite the image you have of a spring break in the Med!

After a slight detour, we negotiated the extremely narrow streets of Arta, heading up for the Ermita de Betlem situated in the mountains. The weather was still looking ‘interesting’, so we didn’t venture far from the car – fortunately a Thekla Lark was singing directly over the recommended viewpoint at K7.2. (And we got even better views of two perched birds from the car window just round the corner). At the Ermita itself, we went for a short walk that finally produced good close views of Cirl Buntings (at least four), and of the Marsh Frogs that we’d been hearing all week!

Later that evening, as we left a restaurant near the apartment, the Scops Owl was calling very close by. After determining exactly which tree it was in, we popped home to grab binoculars, and went out looking. In the end, it proved completely futile, since wherever the owl went we couldn’t see it at all – I got one appalling flight view as it flicked from out of a tree above our heads, and decided to call it a day rather irritated!

Saturday 8th April

I made another early start, targeting one particular species that had eluded us – Marmora’s Warbler. Wandering up the Bocquer valley, initially I could hear a Nightingale singing below the finca, and then later saw several Cirl Buntings at very close range… but foolishly hadn’t got the camera with me! Once I reached the end of the valley, the weather was still perfect – still, and warming up quickly. I decided to just sit down and listen, assuming that like most other Sylvia warblers, Marmora’s would be fairly vocal. This proved to be spot on, as I quickly located one calling from the top of a bush. Wandering over towards it, it soon became apparent that the original bird was the male of a pair – both were feeding close together, and showed very well with some patience.

After lunch, and a quick tour of the small peninsula north of Alcudia (halted by a military area with no access), we headed back down to S’Albufera, with the intention of staying into the evening. This gave us some of the best birding of the holiday, with numerous highlights. A Night Heron roosting on the far side of the canal started things off, quickly followed by a close but brief view of a Squacco Heron, and two Marbled Ducks from the Bishop hide.

As the afternoon drew into evening, we had our first good view of a Purple Heron, feeding with a Great White Egret and numerous Red-crested Pochards on pools near the visitor centre – far better than the distant flight view that we’d been making do with until then. We walked down the Ses Puntes track, and spent some time on the observation platform midway along. This gave us good views of a Moustached Warbler, a Hoopoe and a couple of Purple Gallinules. Another Purple Heron showed well through a gap in the reeds, this time with a Purple Gallinule – good colour co-ordination! Further down the track, just before the farm, we managed our peak gallinule count of seven, as they emerged onto grassy fields to feed at dusk. A Stone Curlew showed really well here also. Finally, as we returned by the main canal, we discovered the Night Heron roost, and counted 28 birds in the half-light. Superb!

Sunday 9th April

Very much a non-birding day! We explored Pollensa and its weekly market, enjoyed a huge meal at lunchtime at Balaixa restaurant, and eventually found ourselves in Cala St Vicenc for a short walk over the col towards Puerto Pollensa. I saw Booted Eagle and another Woodchat, but little else. In the evening I tried my luck with the Scops Owl in the avenue of pines again… this time I got an appalling view of it perched – a slight improvement, I suppose!

Attachments

• green hairstreak.jpg
    green hairstreak.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 209
  • north of betlem.jpg
    north of betlem.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 176
  • night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 211
  • purple heron.jpg
    purple heron.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 230
  • snipe.jpg
    snipe.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Monday 10th April

Actually set an alarm this morning, so we had time to get down to the south-east corner of the island. The drive to Cap de Ses Selines was uneventful through attractive farmland, and we arrived mid morning to a beautiful turquoise sea, a very showy Audouin’s Gull and numerous handsome Black-eared Wheatears. The coastal garrigue habitat was stunning, full of wildflowers and birds – I could have happily wandered around here all day. Walking along by the sea, a Hobby came in off, and rather bizarrely, a Purple Heron circled overhead – perhaps this was newly arrived from further south as well? Way out to sea, I could pick out a few Cory’s Shearwaters – really glad I saw them close at Formentor, though, since the views here were pretty awful in truth.

A mile or two inland from the point, we saw several larks on the high roadside walls, so I pulled over to investigate. I kept hearing an unfamiliar song amongst all the Corn Buntings, but eventually figured it out and got views of Short-toed Lark – a bird I haven’t seen for a long time. We drove through Colonia de Sant Jordi, and had a look at the salt pans there – a few Audouin’s Gulls loafed about, and the ever-present Black-winged Stilts were noisily flying about.

Quickly moving on, the next stop was the large area of saltpans at Salinas de Llevante – what a fantastic site that turned out to be (though arguably not the most attractive)! It held a considerably wider range of waders than the Albufera, including Grey and Ringed Plover, Avocets, close to 100 Little Stints, Curlew and Redshank. However, the undoubted highlight was a group of ten Greater Flamingos – after initially poor views of just their heads in the distance, they were spooked by a Marsh Harrier, and flew about for a while. Coming back in to land, they provided great comedy value, waving long necks, legs and wings in various apparently random directions, looking completely out of control! Two Whiskered Terns showed rather poorly, the only marsh terns of the trip. It’s a shame that the Salinas are so far from the main birding areas in the north of the island – given more time there, I was sure there was plenty more to see.

Tuesday 11th April

Another rather touristy day, heading out to the east coast to visit the Coves del Drach (show caves with spectacular stalactitite and stalagmite formations… and dreadfully cheesy classical music by boat). After wandering round the nearby aquarium, we drove down to Porto Colom, another site from Graham Hearl’s book, hoping to see Pallid Swifts. Once again, no luck with this species – I guess it’s too early in the season to find them at breeding sites. However, we did see Thekla Lark here near the carpark, and Cory’s and Balearic Shearwaters offshore.

Heading inland on the return, we drove up the tiny lane to the Castel de Santueri, and enjoyed the Crag Martin colony. Suzanne’s sharp eyes quckly picked up an Alpine Swift disappearing into the distance, so we waited for quite a while to try and get better views – eventually I saw at least four, though never particularly close. A Peregrine was also drifting about here.

The next stop, the Ermita de Sant Salvador, was well worth a visit for the stunning 360-degree views – you could see almost the entire island from here. A sobering thought at the time concerned “if you put London and all its suburbs on Mallorca, what would be left untouched?” Answer: not a lot… the island is deceptively small (or perhaps London is mind-bogglingly large?)

On the way home, it seemed a shame to drive past S’Albufera and not call in, so we had a quick wander down to the visitor centre, and were rewarded with at least one Red-rumped Swallow in vast numbers of hirundines. Many were feeding over the Ses Puntes track, and having walked along there, the sight was truly spectacular. The Night Heron counted was stable at 28 alongside the canal on the way back.

Wednesday 12th April

We’d decided that the last day should be devoted to re-visiting our favourite places from the entire trip – the Bocquer valley and S’Albufera were easy choices to make! As it turned out, both were rather quiet, though another birder I spoke two had seen a Spectacled Warbler in the valley earlier on. I couldn’t find anything to take the trip list on beyond 116, but wandering around these two fantastic sites was enjoyable enough without needing anything spectacular.

Attachments

• audouins.jpg
    audouins.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 225
  • bw wheatear.jpg
    bw wheatear.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 246
  • cirl.jpg
    cirl.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 240
  • mass of yellow flowers.jpg
    mass of yellow flowers.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 186
  • pink flower.jpg
    pink flower.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Full species list:

LITTLE GREBE
CORY'S SHEARWATER - c. 20 off Formentor behind fishing boat, also distantly off Porto Colom and Cap de Ses Salines
BALEARIC SHEARWATER - 10 off Formentor behind fishing boat, also distantly off Porto Colom and Cap de Ses Salines
CORMORANT
SHAG
NIGHT HERON - 28 roosting by main canal in Albufera - look down the canal from the first bend in the entrance track
SQUACCO HERON - one at Albufera
CATTLE EGRET
LITTLE EGRET
GREAT WHITE EGRET - two at Albufera, one at Albufereta
GREY HERON
PURPLE HERON
GLOSSY IBIS - three at Albufera until 6/4 at least
GREATER FLAMINGO - ten at Salinas de Llevante on 10/4
SHELDUCK
WIGEON
GADWALL
TEAL
MALLARD
GARGANEY
SHOVELER
MARBLED DUCK - two at Albufera
RED-CRESTED POCHARD - many at Albufera - reintroduction appears to have been very successful!
POCHARD
BLACK KITE - one north east over the Bocquer 3/4
RED KITE - one over the Bocquer 4/4
EGYPTIAN VULTURE - one at far end of Bocquer 4/4
BLACK VULTURE - at least five at Cuber Reservoir - we heard reports of up to 13 together there
MARSH HARRIER - common at Albufera, also presumed migrant over the Bocquer
BUZZARD - groups of seven high over the Bocquer on both 3/4 and 4/4
BOOTED EAGLE - up to three seen at Bocquer, plus good views on the cliffs east of Cala St Vicenc. Also near Betlem and at Cuber
OSPREY - one following north ridge of Bocquer on 3/4. Seen frequently at Albufera
KESTREL
HOBBY - one in-off at Cap de Ses Salines 10/4
PEREGRINE - pair in the Bocquer valley
RED-LEGGED PARTRIDGE- heard in the Bocquer and at far end of Cuber reservoir
QUAIL - heard from Albufereta viewing mound early morning 4/4
WATER RAIL - heard from Albufereta viewing mound early morning 4/4
PURPLE GALLINULE - up to 7 at Albufera, plus at least 2 at Albufereta - seemed to show better in the evening
MOORHEN
COOT
RED-KNOBBED COOT - Albufera
BLACK-WINGED STILT
AVOCET - 20+ at Salinas de Llevante
STONE CURLEW - one seen at Albufera 8/4, also heard at several sites
LITTLE-RINGED PLOVER
RINGED PLOVER - one at Albufera 12/4, and 5 at Salinas de Llevante 10/4
KENTISH PLOVER
GREY PLOVER - at least one at Salinas de Llevante 10/4
LITTLE STINT - close to 100 at Salinas de Llevante, plus a couple at Albufera
DUNLIN - two at Albufera
RUFF - one at Deparadora de S'Illot
SNIPE
CURLEW - one at Salinas de Llevante
SPOTTED REDSHANK
REDSHANK - only seen at Salinas de Llevante
GREENSHANK
GREEN SANDPIPER - up to three at Albufera
WOOD SANDPIPER - ones and twos at Albufera
COMMON SANDPIPER - one in Torrent de Sant Jordi, plus one at Albufera
BLACK-HEADED GULL
AUDOUIN'S GULL - best seen at Cap de Ses Salines, but also at Albufereta, and on beach opposite Albufera entrance track
YELLOW-LEGGED GULL
COMMON TERN - two over Albufera
WHISKERED TERN - two over Salinas de Llevante
ROCK DOVE
WOODPIGEON
COLLARED DOVE
SCOPS OWL - at least two calling from north end of Puerto Pollensa - one on pine walk, one towards Bocquer
SWIFT
ALPINE SWIFT - at least four seen from Castel de Santueri
HOOPOE
SHORT-TOED LARK - seen at Cap de Ses Salines, and in fields adjacent to Salinas de Llevante
THEKLA LARK - seen well from road to Ermita de Betlem, and at Porto Colom
SAND MARTIN
CRAG MARTIN - good views from track north of Betlem, at Castel de Santueri, and at Mirador d'Albercutx
SWALLOW
RED-RUMPED SWALLOW - at least one in huge hirudine flock at Albufera, 11/4
HOUSE MARTIN
MEADOW PIPIT - one at Torrent de Sant Jordi, 2/4
YELLOW WAGTAIL - both flava and iberiae races common
PIED WAGTAIL - alba race
WREN
ROBIN - one at base of Bocquer, 2/4
NIGHTINGALE
REDSTART - only one seen! Edge of Puerto Pollensa 2/4
STONECHAT
WHEATEAR
BLACK-EARED WHEATEAR - only seen at Cap de Ses Salines, with c 10 on the rocky coastline
BLACKBIRD
BLUE ROCK THRUSH - seen in Bocquer valley and at Cuber
CETTI'S WARBLER
FAN-TAILED WARBLER - easily seen from viewing mound at Albufereta and at Deparadora de S'Illot
MOUSTACHED WARBLER - seen well at Albufera
GREAT REED WARBLER - seen and heard at Albufera
MARMORA'S WARBLER - eventually seen well at far end of Bocquer valley, early morning 8/4
SARDINIAN WARBLER
SUBALPINE WARBLER - at least one seen and heard singing in valley running from the far end of Cuber reservoir
BLACKCAP
WOOD WARBLER - one north of Betlem, 7/4
CHIFFCHAFF
WILLOW WARBLER
FIRECREST
BLUE TIT
GREAT TIT
WOODCHAT SHRIKE - several of balearic race badius seen
RAVEN
HOUSE SPARROW
CHAFFINCH
SERIN
GOLDFINCH
GREENFINCH
LINNET
CROSSBILL
CIRL BUNTING
REED BUNTING
CORN BUNTING

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
...where next then?
Wellll.... there's a tough question!

Options in my mind right now are:

• somewhere in eastern Europe (Hungary, Bulgaria or Romania, maybe) - really want to see owls and woodpeckers for some reason!
  • considerably further east in the Med - Lesvos or similar
  • northern Scandinavia (or maybe Iceland)
  • mainland Spain (both central, Monfrague area, and coastal, Donana etc, sound good)
Rather than dive straight into some of the exotic destinations you now favour, Tim, I reckon there's a few more years of exceptionally good value birding and travel to be had in Europe...

... but I'm sure that the Far East, Africa and Central America will all go onto the agenda in time! So, a tricky question for you, Tim (and anyone else who's passing!): if I was looking for a first long-haul birding trip to maximise the "Wow - everything is new!" factor and see a very wide range of species for non-silly money - where should I go?

Last edited:
My choice for Europe would be the Pyrenees in June or the Camargue in May both totally magic. Tim

Enjoyed the report. Always good to broaden the horizons I think.

I see you mention Monfrague. I did tour of Spain in 2005 from Pyrennees to Tarifa, taking in areas such as Extremadura/Coto Donana. Best birding I have ever done and certainly would take some beating in Europe. I found Poland great for Woodpeckers.
I have Finland /Norway on list for the owls. Rather an expensive area to travel in however.
Think there will be many suggestions for long haul birding trips, but for what it's worth I would think about South America. I have not long been back from Guyana but having spoken to guys on the tour I definately get the impression that Manu in Peru has much to offer (birds/mammals). Afraid I have not got so far as checking costings of a trip. But I think I can guarantee now that you have tried it out you will be eager to do some more bird traveling!

Cheers

David

Turkey and Morocco both have a load of exotic birds, are very 'different' to Europe and have amazing scenery, food, etc and the people are very friendly too. They're cheap and you can do em with a hire car easily.

Mid distance, Goa is popular but i'd have to say Thailand or Malaysia. Probably Thailand out of the two. Wonderful national parks, fairly easy to get about. The food as you know is worth going for on its own. The culture is very different, the people are exceptionally friendly, hardly any hassle, and the birds are very exotic; pittas, hornbills, babblers etc. The birding is reasonaby easy and you'd rack up a pretty decent list fairly quickly.

And you could take the other half easily too.

Costa Rica
Belize
Mexico (Yucutan)
are all fairly easy to do and full of 'exotics'

I haven't been to Gambia but it's highly recommended

I'm sure others will have further ideas

Hi David,

Great report and some nice pictures to accompany it - sounds like you had a pretty fantastic time.

If your looking for an trip that's slightly further afield with a whole host of different birds why not the east coast USA? Flights to NY are dirt cheap and 2 of the best east coast migrant hotspots are on your doorstep (Jamaica Bay and Central Park) there is plenty of entertainment aside from the birds and if you hire a car plenty of other spots to explore. If NYC seems expensive, you could look at Cape May, NJ - I stayed in a perfectly nice Motel/B&B down there with the wife on the seafront last year for about $80.00 a night (Forster's Terns, Royal Terns, Brown Pelican and Black Skimmers in their hundreds all visible from the balcony) - I imagine you can do it even cheaper if you do some research.

Luke

dbradnum said:
if I was looking for a first long-haul birding trip to maximise the "Wow - everything is new!" factor and see a very wide range of species for non-silly money - where should I go?

Peru of course! ;)

But maybe I am biased. We do have over 1800 species of birds. But don't think you will see all in one trip. Nevertheless, on a recent trip over 12 days we scored over 500 species.

Nice to see your report on Mallorca. I was guiding there a lot in the 90's. Great place and I love the local food. I too am envious of the Marbled Teal. I wonder if it is a re-introduction program?

Cheers

Gunnar

Birding Peru with Kolibri Expeditions

Gunnar Engblom said:
Peru of course! ;)

But maybe I am biased. We do have over 1800 species of birds. But don't think you will see all in one trip. Nevertheless, on a recent trip over 12 days we scored over 500 species.

Nice to see your report on Mallorca. I was guiding there a lot in the 90's. Great place and I love the local food. I too am envious of the Marbled Teal. I wonder if it is a re-introduction program?

Cheers

Gunnar

Birding Peru with Kolibri Expeditions
No doubt Peru is absolutely fantastic - I would love to go one day (when I've saved up enough!)

As for the Marbled Teal, I don't think they are from reintroduced stock - the new version of Graham Hearl's book lists them as increasingly frequent vagrants, which bred in 1997 at S'Albufera.

Lovely report Dave. Good of you to go to such length. I am going in 4 week sto Mallorca, hope to get Marmora's warbler, tawny pipit, Short Toed lark, and Black Vulture which ALL eluded me on my last Mallorca visit.
Am only spending 3 days birding - Cuber, Salinas Levante, Boquer Valley etc. All can be a bit hit & miss but you have given me some super tips. many thanks

Cheers Dave, a fantastic read. Makes me have some faith that there are actually some birds somewhere in the world after the day I've just had on Pendle Hill.

The Caves of Drach! I went there with my parents in 94 and found it strangely enjoyable in a "I really shouldn't enjoy this, but for some unusual reason I am" kind of way. I went back with Sarah in 98 and it was amazing. Never did make it to the end of the Bocquer Valley, but from your photo I wish I had!

Tom

Last edited:
Dave's trip to Mallorca

Thoroughly enjoyed your account of the trip to Mallorca - when is the book coming out?
dbradnum said:
Monday 10th April

Actually set an alarm this morning, so we had time to get down to the south-east corner of the island. The drive to Cap de Ses Selines was uneventful through attractive farmland, and we arrived mid morning to a beautiful turquoise sea, a very showy Audouin’s Gull and numerous handsome Black-eared Wheatears. The coastal garrigue habitat was stunning, full of wildflowers and birds – I could have happily wandered around here all day. Walking along by the sea, a Hobby came in off, and rather bizarrely, a Purple Heron circled overhead – perhaps this was newly arrived from further south as well? Way out to sea, I could pick out a few Cory’s Shearwaters – really glad I saw them close at Formentor, though, since the views here were pretty awful in truth.

A mile or two inland from the point, we saw several larks on the high roadside walls, so I pulled over to investigate. I kept hearing an unfamiliar song amongst all the Corn Buntings, but eventually figured it out and got views of Short-toed Lark – a bird I haven’t seen for a long time. We drove through Colonia de Sant Jordi, and had a look at the salt pans there – a few Audouin’s Gulls loafed about, and the ever-present Black-winged Stilts were noisily flying about.

Quickly moving on, the next stop was the large area of saltpans at Salinas de Llevante – what a fantastic site that turned out to be (though arguably not the most attractive)! It held a considerably wider range of waders than the Albufera, including Grey and Ringed Plover, Avocets, close to 100 Little Stints, Curlew and Redshank. However, the undoubted highlight was a group of ten Greater Flamingos – after initially poor views of just their heads in the distance, they were spooked by a Marsh Harrier, and flew about for a while. Coming back in to land, they provided great comedy value, waving long necks, legs and wings in various apparently random directions, looking completely out of control! Two Whiskered Terns showed rather poorly, the only marsh terns of the trip. It’s a shame that the Salinas are so far from the main birding areas in the north of the island – given more time there, I was sure there was plenty more to see.

Tuesday 11th April

Another rather touristy day, heading out to the east coast to visit the Coves del Drach (show caves with spectacular stalactitite and stalagmite formations… and dreadfully cheesy classical music by boat). After wandering round the nearby aquarium, we drove down to Porto Colom, another site from Graham Hearl’s book, hoping to see Pallid Swifts. Once again, no luck with this species – I guess it’s too early in the season to find them at breeding sites. However, we did see Thekla Lark here near the carpark, and Cory’s and Balearic Shearwaters offshore.

Heading inland on the return, we drove up the tiny lane to the Castel de Santueri, and enjoyed the Crag Martin colony. Suzanne’s sharp eyes quckly picked up an Alpine Swift disappearing into the distance, so we waited for quite a while to try and get better views – eventually I saw at least four, though never particularly close. A Peregrine was also drifting about here.

The next stop, the Ermita de Sant Salvador, was well worth a visit for the stunning 360-degree views – you could see almost the entire island from here. A sobering thought at the time concerned “if you put London and all its suburbs on Mallorca, what would be left untouched?” Answer: not a lot… the island is deceptively small (or perhaps London is mind-bogglingly large?)

On the way home, it seemed a shame to drive past S’Albufera and not call in, so we had a quick wander down to the visitor centre, and were rewarded with at least one Red-rumped Swallow in vast numbers of hirundines. Many were feeding over the Ses Puntes track, and having walked along there, the sight was truly spectacular. The Night Heron counted was stable at 28 alongside the canal on the way back.

Wednesday 12th April

We’d decided that the last day should be devoted to re-visiting our favourite places from the entire trip – the Bocquer valley and S’Albufera were easy choices to make! As it turned out, both were rather quiet, though another birder I spoke two had seen a Spectacled Warbler in the valley earlier on. I couldn’t find anything to take the trip list on beyond 116, but wandering around these two fantastic sites was enjoyable enough without needing anything spectacular.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back