Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 00:10   #1
Birding5000

ID by description

Saw a new LBB today. Didn't have enough time to get the camera ready, so I gotta go by description:

I'm guessing some sort of sparrow. The base color was a very drab brown, almost an olive. Had an orange mohawk i'd say it looked like, with a black stripe on both sides. Almost the color orange/brown you'd see on top of a chipping sparrows head. It went straight back though. And the breast area was pretty heavily streaked with brown.

The bird itself was a little bit bigger than you'd see from a chipping sparrow. And it was on the ground when I spotted it, but unlike a lot of other ground birds, it didn't hop, rather it walked like a pigeon or dove would.

Location was the NE part of the US. If you have even a guess of what this might be I'd be glad to hear it.

***Edit - I think I may have found it doing various random sparrow related searches on Yahoo!. It may have been an ovenbird. Here's a description from the Cornell University All about Birds site:

" * Small songbird.
* Olive brown back.
* White underside with bold, dark streaked spots.
* White eyering.
* Orange crown bordered by black stripes."

If there are any other guesses, I'd still like to hear em, because although it sounds and looks about right, i'm still not 100 percent.

Last edited by Birding5000 : Tuesday 2nd May 2006 at 02:10.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 04:48   #2
Birding5000

Only similar looking bird would be the wood thrush, but it lacks the orange mohawk pattern with the black streaks. And after looking at more pictures, i'm now pretty darn certain it was an ovenbird.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 04:53   #3
jcwings

As I was reading your description I was thinking Ovenbird. They do spend a lot of time on the ground, and are very orangey. Streaks would also fit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: