• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Theer is no conection between the money rased at the Holkham car parks and the NNR. The car park money goes to Holkham estate , the NNR is funded by Natural England.

Ive been told that the man that collects the car park money is soon being made redundant as they are installing ticket machines in Lady Anne's Drive this will also include the other side of the road (free at the moment), not to sure if this will also include the free car park by the gates to Holkham Hall.

There is a rumour that the Holkham Estate are looking into erecting barriers next year on both Lady Ann's Drive and the roadway up to Holkham Park/village carpark and we will have to pay from dawn to dusk!

Sue

There is a rumour that the Holkham Estate are looking into erecting barriers next year on both Lady Ann's Drive and the roadway up to Holkham Park/village carpark and we will have to pay from dawn to dusk!

Sue
I absolutely refuse to pay a penny, so will have to walk from Barn's Drift in future then!

Nothing in life seems to be free nowadays!:-C

Yearlisting? Oh yeah, forgot about that, such a long time since any birds turned up. Firmly stuck on 270 and likely to remain there to the end of the year at this rate.

Sue

That should ensure that both Holkham Park and Holkham Pines are fairly empty then!

I don't pay any more, I tend to park on the road opposite Lady Anne's Drive, and walk down. Usually just pop in for 2-3 hours and begrudge paying that much for such a short
time. You can bird as you walk down- geese either side, tit flocks in the trees, no problem.
Cheers,
Jim.

Gone too are the days when you could park in Lady Anne's Drive at Holkham for nothing if you timed it right, or so it seems. I arrived early the other day and thought I'd beaten the man at the gate but as I was getting out of the car he pulled up beside me to extract my £3.50

I was there three weeks ago and drove down Lady Anne's Drive at 7am in the dark. I parked up and was watching a barn owl on a post nearby when another vehicle came down a few minutes later. I was surprised to have 'car-parkie' tapping on my window to extract £3.50 from me :eek!: Rather spoilt the moment. He didn't have much of a sense of humour either!

I've never begrudged paying that much for what is one of the best locations in the country, but if I was more of a regular I wouldnt be too impressed. BTW I also parked at Wells a couple of times and didnt pay, it doesnt seem to be monitored too often. Dont take my word for it though ;)

Titchwell RSPB

On the way along the main bank had a lovely stonechat which spent most of its time balancing on the reeds. Also several linnets and meadow pipits on the new embankement. Tons of golden plover and usual waders. 12.50pm on the sea: 3 Red Breasted Mergansers, 15 Golden Eye, 1 Red Throated Diver, 6 Great Crested Grebes, 1 Slavonian Grebe (at last!). Somone I noted in the sightings book in visitor centre had seen a black throated diver in the morning, but I couldn't see one anywhere for my county list! Then flew back to King's Lynn as had to get back for work.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I was there three weeks ago and drove down Lady Anne's Drive at 7am in the dark. I parked up and was watching a barn owl on a post nearby when another vehicle came down a few minutes later. I was surprised to have 'car-parkie' tapping on my window to extract £3.50 from me :eek!: Rather spoilt the moment. He didn't have much of a sense of humour either!..............

HOW ANNOYING!!!! If he had done that to me, I would have stubbonly stayed in the car and not wound the window down - he obviously is starting earlier to catch the early morning birders and then moving back to the hut to then catch everyone else!:C

I don't pay any more, I tend to park on the road opposite Lady Anne's Drive, and walk down. Usually just pop in for 2-3 hours and begrudge paying that much for such a short
time. You can bird as you walk down- geese either side, tit flocks in the trees, no problem.
Cheers,
Jim.

That's the whole point Jim. I have heard that you won't be allowed to park up this road either without paying! Barn's drift will be busy!

Sue

Had the biggest flock of Twite that I have seen for many years yesterday at Lynn Point. At least 50 birds settled on the mud/rough grass at the side of the riverbank. It reminded me of days that I used to see them regularly at Sutton Bridge (Lincs) just up the coast many years ago in winter months on the riverbank. When Paul and I were at Lynn Point yesterday the river Great Ouse was also at its lowest level I have ever seen it, exposing the mud to the delight of many waders and geese (Brents)

lose the wheels then!

[QUOTE - every post for the last two pages!]

just a reminder of the virtues of walking, bussing it, (Chopper stops right in front of Lady Annes), cycling and even running - to park at some birding hotspots you'll need a Barclaycard, but for every other mode of transport its virtually free,

incidentally James McCallum has got an art exhibition at Holkham at the minute for his new book Wild Skeins and Winter Skies, his stuff is just getting better.

Titchwell November 16th

Today's highlights

Brambling - 1 on feeders
Avocet - 1 on fresh marsh
Merlin - 1 hunting on beach
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore

Snettisham

Pink footed goose - 15,630 left the roost at dawn this morning
Snow goose - adult left roost with pink footed geese this morning
Whooper swan - 7 (2 juvs) south over reserve this morning

Paul

[QUOTE - every post for the last two pages!]

just a reminder of the virtues of walking, bussing it, (Chopper stops right in front of Lady Annes), cycling and even running - to park at some birding hotspots you'll need a Barclaycard, but for every other mode of transport its virtually free,

incidentally James McCallum has got an art exhibition at Holkham at the minute for his new book Wild Skeins and Winter Skies, his stuff is just getting better.

At your age Josh I certainly did cycle/walk a lot more. However some of us are now old and wrinkly and I for one would certainly be 'out of puff' if I cycled from Roydon to Holkham and back. You are lucky to be on the coasthopper bus route but some of us are miles away from it! However I still walk from home to my local patch on days when I have only a few hours to spare. We all admired Chris Mills who did a cycling yearlist a couple of years ago and got a good total but I don't think he will be rushing too quickly to repeat it!

Sue

At your age Josh I certainly did cycle/walk a lot more. However some of us are now old and wrinkly and I for one would certainly be 'out of puff' if I cycled from Roydon to Holkham and back. You are lucky to be on the coasthopper bus route but some of us are miles away from it! However I still walk from home to my local patch on days when I have only a few hours to spare. We all admired Chris Mills who did a cycling yearlist a couple of years ago and got a good total but I don't think he will be rushing too quickly to repeat it!

Sue

I know, I know, it was all a bit tongue in cheek, but its easy to forgot about the wonders of the Coasthopper, when i was in Norwich i always found it more of an adventure and easier to do the train / bus combo than blag a lift and now it sounds like its going to be cheaper too.

anyway you're not that old and wrinkly ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back