• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

I am hoping that It will pay a visit to Bawburgh at some point over the winter.

Something that may be of interest to Norwich birders, is the news I have received from three separate sources, regarding Bittern wintering at Bawburgh pits. The first was from a very reliable source, but I had put it down to a one off record. But, since then I have been informed of sightings from at least three separate winters and a possibly second bird.

Are there any reliable wintering sites for Bittern in the 'Greater Norwich' area?

Regards, Kieran

I think Bawburgh is probably the best bet, being permit-only it doesn't get disturbed as much as other sites. I remember Ilya found a Bittern there in 2009, but I vaguely remember hearing about one since. There have been sightings at Whitlingham for the past three years (I saw one in 2011), but I think they are just passing through, it's too disturbed for one to over-winter. There was also one that Jo (kittykat23uk) found and got some great photos of at Hellesdon Meadows in 2010: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2010071&highlight=bittern#post2010071

Twiglet Zone!

OK, bit strange.

David and James have just informed me that Bittern was on the pager today for Bawburgh (Colney). I had no idea when I posted the above comments about wintering birds at the site, which is a little bit odd. Good news for Bawburgh.

I really would recommend local birders to invest in a permit, the site has a lot to offer all year round.

Regards, Kieran

I think Bawburgh is probably the best bet, being permit-only it doesn't get disturbed as much as other sites. I remember Ilya found a Bittern there in 2009, but I vaguely remember hearing about one since. There have been sightings at Whitlingham for the past three years (I saw one in 2011), but I think they are just passing through, it's too disturbed for one to over-winter. There was also one that Jo (kittykat23uk) found and got some great photos of at Hellesdon Meadows in 2010: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2010071&highlight=bittern#post2010071

Thanks, James, superbly helpful, as usual. :t:

Kieran

Those Bittern photos are quite literally immense! What a fantastic find.

The Marlingford American Wigeon

Just to put the record straight. I have been performing WeBS counts at Marlingford Mere (south of Marlingford Hall) and Algarsthorpe Flood (the grazing marshes to the east of the private track to Algarsthorpe Farm) for the last 6 years. I first found the American Wigeon at Marlingford Mere on 28th January 2011. The Mere is a private site and I am fortunate that the landowner has given me open access to the Mere and indeed the whole of his estate. However, in view of "previous problems" with birders, he requested that I did not tell anyone about the bird, which placed me in a difficult position since many local birders are friends. Fortunately, the bird has wandered up and down the valley for three consecutive winters. It is often on Algarsthorpe Flood but can be quite elusive there, and, as noted parking is difficult. Last winter, when birders were looking for the American Wigeon and the Great White Egret, the landowner complained to me that birders' cars "frequently" blocked the entrance track to Algarsthorpe Farm. I enjoy working my local patch as well as seeing other people's county rarities; I have no desire to suppress my own findings but have to respect the request of the landowner. If I lose his good will, I may lose my local patch and the BTO will lose two WeBS sites.

Last edited:
No 'deal' here, Nick. That is the correct track. The bird was located from the road, by the entrance to the track, just to the east of the farm. I saw it on Wednesday to the west, between the farm and Marlingford village when it was on the river bank and then flew back towards the farm, pitching down out of view south of the river (reported with no reference to the track). The 'Private' sign has no relevance to the sightings, as these were made from the road.

Thanks David. My phraseology was triggered by the message that appeared on (at least) one of the bird news services: "drake again by River Yare between Bawburgh and Marlingford with Wigeon but mobile; viewable from farm track". Like you, I only viewed from the road (and was the only person looking on Tuesday morning - I parked safely in a gateway on the opposite side of the road that was already blocked with what looked like a load of fly-tipped rubbish). However the statement in the message suggested that (at least some) people were viewing from the track itself.

Last winter, when birders were looking for the American Wigeon and the Great White Egret, the landowner complained to me that birders' cars "frequently" blocked the entrance track to Algarsthorpe Farm. I enjoy working my local patch as well as seeing other people's county rarities; I have no desire to suppress my own findings but have to respect the request of the landowner. If I lose his good will, I may lose my local patch and the BTO will lose two WeBS sites.

Thanks Peter, and I'm right with you! I have informed the bird news service in question that the farm track is private – as most people reading this thread are already aware – and that parking is very limited, and asked them to make sure that any future messages reflect these points.

Last edited:
BirdGuides have edited their messages about the American Wigeon; it now clearly says that the track is private and no longer intimates that the bird can be viewed from there. Hopefully the other news services will follow suit, if/when the bird is next reported. If anyone is reporting it, it will be worth explicitly stating that the farm track is private and there is very limited parking nearby.

Titchwell December 14th

Today’s highlights

Waxwing – 5 briefly on the access road @ 09:40, 1 west @ 10:30
Hen harrier – male hunting over saltmarsh this morning
Jack snipe – 1 on Patsy’s reedbed but elusive
Bewick’s swan – adult on fresh marsh this morning
Yellow legged gull – adult on fresh marsh

Paul

BirdGuides have edited their messages about the American Wigeon; it now clearly says that the track is private and no longer intimates that the bird can be viewed from there. Hopefully the other news services will follow suit, if/when the bird is next reported. If anyone is reporting it, it will be worth explicitly stating that the farm track is private and there is very limited parking nearby.

Agreed RBA had always (?) said the entrance to the track, hopefully common sense (!) will prevail and Peter's patch *thanks for your input) will be protected!

Thorpe Marshes in Norwich

There was a Slavonian Grebe on Thorpe Broad this morning (still there when i left half an hour ago)

Lots of Tufted Duck on the Broad as well. I wonder if there has been disturbance at Whitlingham. If I get time later I might go back with a telescope to scan the flocks in case the Ring Necked Duck hasn't been seen at Whitlingham.

Also of note a male Bullfinch, 1 Redpoll, 6 Teal,1 Lapwing, 1 Kestrel and a dead Muntjac Deer by the Bungalow Lane railway line.

Cheers

Steve

Titchwell December 14th

Today’s highlights

Waxwing – 19 west @ 09:45, 1 west @ 12:00
Red kite – 1 hunting over Thornham Point this morning
Peregrine – 1 at Thornham Point
Hen harrier – ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Long tailed duck – 4 offshore
Slav grebe – 1 offshore
Bittern – 2 over reedbed
Spotted redshank – 2 on Volunteer Marsh
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed
Teal – drake showing white horizontal and vertical stripes on fresh marsh this afternoon
Buzzard sp – 1 hunting over saltmarsh this afternoon showed some features consistent with rough legged but the views were not good enough to ID for definite.

Paul

Following a Saxy conversation with Noel, I stopped east of Walsey Hills NOA, where the zebra crossing lookalike below was hoovering up unfortunate (presumably) invertebrates at a great rate of knots. (Other waders are available.)

A desperate foray into Wells Woods turned up what looks like a Mealy and 5 Lesser Redpolls. They were mainly silent and feeding constantly, until a Barn Owl made them vanish.

Attachments

• 134pse.jpg
    134pse.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 345pse.jpg
    345pse.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 185pse.jpg
    185pse.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 120
Winterton

Wandered across the dunes today and was obviously half asleep when a short eared owl fly northwards. Then when I got to the beach in the very far distance a goosander flew south. Wasn't feeling very lucky when out of the blue (the sea was grey) a red throated diver popped up.

Attachments

• Goosander.jpg
    Goosander.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 167
  • RedThroated Diver .jpg
    RedThroated Diver .jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 150
  • ShortEared Owl.jpg
    ShortEared Owl.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 160
Ignorance is bliss?

As usual a probably simple answer to my ID query. Seen today at Whitlingham, from the barn patio. I've shown the goose with one or two of the group of greylags it was with for size comparision - I'm guessing a greylag cross. Pink-footed but wrong breast colour(?). Seems to be a confused mixture - or is this common in goose crosses? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bird03762_20121215_small.jpg
    Bird03762_20121215_small.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Bird03766_20121215_small.jpg
    Bird03766_20121215_small.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 146
As usual a probably simple answer to my ID query. Seen today at Whitlingham, from the barn patio. I've shown the goose with one or two of the group of greylags it was with for size comparision - I'm guessing a greylag cross. Pink-footed but wrong breast colour(?). Seems to be a confused mixture - or is this common in goose crosses? Thanks in advance.

Not a simple answer to this one!

This hybrid has been around for a few years now and its identity certainly isn't obvious. I'm open to more insight if anyone has it but currently my favoured ID is Ross's Goose x Lesser White-fronted Goose. Some more photos and commentary on my website if you're interested.

Ring-necked Duck meets Common Scoter

How often does a Ring-necked Duck meet a Common Scoter? They did at Whitlingham Country Park P 13/11/2012.

Attachments

• 049 Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) Whitlingham Country Park Norfolk UK GB December 2012 web.jpg
    049 Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) Whitlingham Country Park Norfolk UK GB December 2012 web.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back