Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 29th May 2006, 17:44   #1
deborah4

SmartBridge Alerts: MotiveSB.exe???

"SmartBridge Alerts: MotiveSB.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

After 'messing around' on my computor and downloading MS Beta explorer, a friend somehow managed to do something that has resulted in the above box appearing on my desktop everytime I switch on my computor. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it please? (It had some more words relating to 'imagefile W' and 'procedure' etc)
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 17:49   #2
SiG

Late Breaking Notes and Issues in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2:

The following open issues in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 may be addressed in Beta updates and in the final release of Internet Explorer 7. We are mentioning them here because we think they may impact Beta 2 customers. The information applies to all Microsoft platforms, unless the note specifies content unique to Windows Vista or Microsoft XP SP2.

* SmartBridge -- SmartBridge is distributing an old version of PSAPI.DLL. As a result, users may receive the following error message after installation of Internet Explore 7 Beta 2:

SmartBridge Alerts:MotiveSB.exe Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
To work around this error:
1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge (\Program Files\Verizon...\Smart...)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system
The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

(Isn't Google wonderful?)
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 18:01   #3
deborah4

Hi SIG

That's exactly what appears to have happened. Problem is I'm not very computor literate and feel a bit lost with your instructions. How do I find the installation Location? How do I rename the program file (is that what you mean?). Does 'rebooting' system, mean I just turn off computor and restart it? I have Win XP - so is the new file name you suggest, compatible for that?

Sorry but someone's going to have to 'talk me down' lol.
BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 18:32   #4
SiG

Deborah,

Ah, I see. Really, if you can't navigate around your machine you certainly shouldn't be letting anyone install beta software on it - especially not for something as key and flawed as IE (Firefox is a FAR better browser on many levels.)

I don't have this installed on my machine, and I'm having to make some guesses here about the path and the set-up of your machine. In XP - minimise all open windows. Double click the My Computer icon. When the window opens, double click the Local Disk C: icon. When this opens, double click the Program Files icon. When this opens, double click the Verizon icon. When this opens, double click the Smartbridge icon.

When that opens, see if you can see PSAPI.DLL. If not, open whatever folders you have in view, each in turn, by double clicking until you can see PSAPI.DLL.

When you do see PSAPI.DLL click on it once to highlight it, then RIGHT CLICK on it once; a menu will appear. Select Rename. This will allow you the change the name of the .dll file.

When you've done that, close the window down.

Then go to your XP Start button (bottom left of your screen) Click on it, and select Shut Down. When the option appears, select Restart.

Problem solved for now. But you'll have more problems soon if you let people install crap like IE Beta versions on your machine when you are not, as you say, very computer literate.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 19:07   #5
Andrew Rowlands

The latest Alpha version of Firefox should give you far less trouble than a Beta of IE.

Andy.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 19:29   #6
g8ina
He's pining for the Fjords !

Even Firefox 1.5 beta is rock stable, been installed here for ages, no crashes (at all)
BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 29th May 2006, 20:08   #7
deborah4

Uh!!! Is it possible to remove the program and go back to my original IE? The 'friend' said the new one would override the other one!

Back again

Phew! Phoned another friend (more knowledgable than the other one - this is beginning to sound like 'The Weakest Link'! He explained how to use the System Restore so I have now restored my computor back to what it was before the new downloads. It's working fine now.

Thanks SIG for your help ... Big lesson learnt - won't let 'helpful' friends onto my computor again! (Sounds like IE is not popular anyway but I'll think about that when I have a little more experience with computor systems.)

Last edited by deborah4 : Monday 29th May 2006 at 21:07.
BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 5th June 2006, 05:47   #8
alancairns

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8ina
Even Firefox 1.5 beta is rock stable, been installed here for ages, no crashes (at all)
In our medical office we use an electronic medical records system that is web based. To me that should mean that it can be accessed by any browser. But Firefox and Opera (In Win2000 or XP or OSX) can't show the day sheet. Safari (running on OSX) can, but the date is wrong, and when I correct it, it often throws me out, only to log in agian with the same problem.

Clearly the writer of our software has been writing to IE bugs. All my efforts to correct this (I don't believe it would take much) are met with "We only support IE6". Grr.

Alan
Old Thursday 29th June 2006, 21:33   #9
kitty923

Thank you SIG. I have been fighting with this computer for three days and you just fixed my last problem. Have a happy summer and happy bird watching to all.
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 12:58   #10
grumpy_larry
Registered Member

Thumbs up MotiveSb.exe

I know its an old thread but I found it very useful.
I have "Broadband Medic" on my PC and I found the file PSAPI.DLL in that folder and renamed it as suggested by SiG and it has cleared the error message.
Thank you SiG.
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 20:29   #11
Howard_Hopkinso
Malware Removal

Easier still, just uninstall Broadband Medic from add/remove programmes, it`s a pretty useless bit of software anyway.

Regards Howard.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: