Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 30th May 2006, 15:01   #1
peter hill

goyt valley nr buxton

went for a long walk up this valley on sunday and monday saw 47 different birds very enjoyable and quite away from the car parkssome of the birds seen were misle thrush song thrush kingfisher g s woodpecker greywagtail siskin redstart meadow pipet kestral jay raven treecreeper willow warbler sand piper nuthatch wood warbler pied fly catcher stone chat bull finch dipper go out and explore your local patch most rewarding to see these birds on a walk not having to drive miles out of the frount door and away you go
Old Tuesday 30th May 2006, 18:33   #2
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter hill
went for a long walk up this valley on sunday and monday saw 47 different birds very enjoyable and quite away from the car parkssome of the birds seen were misle thrush song thrush kingfisher g s woodpecker greywagtail siskin redstart meadow pipet kestral jay raven treecreeper willow warbler sand piper nuthatch wood warbler pied fly catcher stone chat bull finch dipper go out and explore your local patch most rewarding to see these birds on a walk not having to drive miles out of the frount door and away you go
How lucky you are to live so close to this lovely place. But did you not see any raptors? I would expect sparrowhawk, kestrel, buzzard, hobby and, maybe, goshawk. Also there are ring ousels there.
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 12:48   #3
peter hill

i saw one or two kestrals no other raptors as for the ringed ozel not sure if there are any in the area a couple of possible sightings on sunday by somone else but just a fleeting glimse not definate
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 14:45   #4
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
i saw one or two kestrals no other raptors as for the ringed ozel not sure if there are any in the area a couple of possible sightings on sunday by somone else but just a fleeting glimse not definate
Ring Ouzels breed in the Goyt Valley. I have seen them there but do not know the exact location.

Above the plantations and woodlands, often soaring high up, you stand a chance of sparrowhawk, buzzard, peregrine, hobby and goshawk, even the odd hen harrier.
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 15:55   #5
peter hill

checked out the river valley to just short of the cat and fiddle pub also berry clough then down wild stone moor no sign for me i think they are there somewere but do not give themselves up easyly thanks for the replys not to sure about the hobbys although it is a big area one or two birds could be hard to find
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 15:57   #6
peter hill

ps just been out this afernoon and seen a sparrow hark in the valley
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 16:10   #7
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
ps just been out this afernoon and seen a sparrow hark in the valley
It's a matter of sitting and looking into the wild blue yonder to capture views of the raptors - sometimes for a good long time (but worth it in the end).

Hopefully someone else will post where to spot the ring ousels!
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 16:16   #8
Edward woodwood

used to see them very close to car park - just down the track. there's an old tree on the left side...

otherwise try Derbyshire Bridge - always there
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 16:41   #9
Rob Smallwood

Still there Tim - or you could try nearby Dane Bower Quarry - the area is already disturbed by walkers so a couple of birders added to the list won't make any difference.
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 16:42   #10
Rob Smallwood

Still there Tim - or you could try nearby Dane Bower Quarry - the area is already disturbed by walkers so a couple of birders added to the list won't make any difference.
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 11:01   #11
DJW
Turdus Philomelos

This site sound like it would be worth a visit, possibly this weekend if the weather holds.

What are the chances of seeing Pied Flycatcher, Red Grouse and Dipper in the vicinity?

Regards

Dave
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 11:52   #12
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW
This site sound like it would be worth a visit, possibly this weekend if the weather holds.

What are the chances of seeing Pied Flycatcher, Red Grouse and Dipper in the vicinity?

Regards

Dave
All three very good indeed,you will not find many Throstle fans though.(boing boing boing)

POP
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 16:00   #13
DJW
Turdus Philomelos

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP
(boing boing boing)

POP
I have been a West Brom supporter for many many many years and I still don't know the origin of that phrase!!

Regards

Dave
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 19:47   #14
peter hill

dippers in valley on the river park up at the laybywith the stone in it on the whaley bridge to buxton rd 3/4 of a mile out side whaley walk down to river follow river upsteam from the bridge there has been 3 dippers showing there this week pied flycatcher try farther upstream about a mile you come to another bridge cross the bridge and walk to your right 3 to 400 yards lookouttowards the river also ma chance of wood warbler as for the red grouse you need to go higher up the valley up to erwood res the moors above there lok on multi map hope this helps it looks been nice this weekend
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 19:52   #15
Sedgley
Bedlington Terrier

You don't want any sandwell town fans in your area, they will lower the property values overnight.

Boing boing next season when Wolves get 6 points.
Old Friday 2nd June 2006, 22:05   #16
DJW
Turdus Philomelos

Wink

Thanks for the Bird Info and small round objects to the anti West Brom contingent on this thread!!

Dave

Last edited by DJW : Friday 2nd June 2006 at 22:10.
Old Tuesday 6th June 2006, 12:55   #17
peter hill

thanks rob walked to dane b h on sat saw one ringed uzel and a wheatear also saw a short eared owl on burbage edge between buxton and derbyshire bridge also most of the birds previously mentioned top day
Old Friday 9th June 2006, 21:19   #18
Richard Norris

Exclamation

I love walking in the valley, usually along the riverside walk below Errwood Reservoir and around the Hall, and around Berry Clough. Haven't seen (or heard) any Wood Warblers this year - are they around? If not, is there anywhere else in the area that is good for them.

Also I used to get breeding Whinchat along Berry Clough - does anybody know if they still breed in the area?

Cheers,

Richard
Old Sunday 11th June 2006, 20:04   #19
peter hill

two places i have seen wood warblers over the last fortnight are 1 above erwood below the road were the steam crosses it about 3 to 400yrds above were the res ends 2 park wood in the valley below fernilee res walk down about a mile till you come to a bridge cross it then walk to your right listen out in the woods to your left last heard on the path about 100yrds into the climb
Old Monday 12th June 2006, 09:26   #20
Richard Norris

Smile

Thanks, Peter. Funnily enough i heard and saw Wood Warbler on Saturday at the first place you mention - in the woodland between the riverside walk footpath and the road to Derbyshire bridge. Just a little bit of clambering up the stream bed did it - got fabulous views of one singing its heart out. Also had great views of Tree Pipits (one feeding on the road about ten yards away from me) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker nest with a very vocal chick occsionally popping its head out.

Still no sign of any Whinchats though!

Richard
Old Monday 12th June 2006, 09:44   #21
cheshirebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Norris
Thanks, Peter. Funnily enough i heard and saw Wood Warbler on Saturday at the first place you mention - in the woodland between the riverside walk footpath and the road to Derbyshire bridge. Just a little bit of clambering up the stream bed did it - got fabulous views of one singing its heart out. Also had great views of Tree Pipits (one feeding on the road about ten yards away from me) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker nest with a very vocal chick occsionally popping its head out.

Still no sign of any Whinchats though!

Richard
Mate of mine had whinchat ( and stonechat ,of course ) in Berry Clough last week - going to have another go myself , possibly today.
Didn't know ring ouzels were still around Derbyshire Bridge - haven't seen them there for 1 or 2 years now?
Old Monday 12th June 2006, 11:59   #22
peter hill

did not see the ringed ouzel at derbyshire bridge it was at dane boller hollow quarrycaught a bus to buxton and walked over burbage edge then to dane then back by derbyshire bridge and the resses and valley also their was a drake mandrin and a pintail in the pravilion gardens in the river
Old Monday 12th June 2006, 12:47   #23
cheshirebirder

Nipped up there this morning and finally found a whinchat ! It was singing away but quite hard to see. Drive just past Berry Clough and park in one of the next places on the right . The bird was on the opposite hillside ( across the stream ) in newly growing bracken - about level with the road.
Old Wednesday 14th June 2006, 13:02   #24
peter hill

saw 2 buzzards up there yesterday my first there this year
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: