Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 9th June 2006, 21:42   #1
sooseee

can you advise me on a DVD please?

I would love to have a DVD which would help me get to know the songs and calls of smaller birds- warblers, finches,buntings etc-and also help with ID.Would be grateful for ideas. thanks.
Sue.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 10th June 2006, 01:22   #2
jon hardacre

hi Sue
two suggestions for you try
dvd rom guide All the Birds of Europe or if you are feeling really flush BWPi Birds of the Western Paleartic interactive both available from BirdGuides Dave Goosneys site. The latter has got masses of very high quality video and song split screens for comparison vg stills facility, a great piece of kit.
Every home should have one!!!!!
Regards Jon
PS WEBSITE is www.birdguides.com
Old Saturday 10th June 2006, 06:29   #3
PaulD
Paul Doherty

Sue

You haven't said whether you want to play this on PC or on a DVD player (or both).

If you only want to play it on a PC then a DVD-ROM such as BWPi is fine, but it won't play on a DVD player. So if you want to play it on a PC and a DVD player you want a DVD-Video and we (Bird Images) produce a range of these - the website is www.birdvideodvd.com.

One of them - British Bird Songs - may well be ideal for your purposes.

If you want an independant summary then BBC Wildlife magazine did a review of CDs and DVDs in the January 2006 issue (we came top!). Back issues can be bought here http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/viewIssue.asp?id=509.

I hope that helps.
Old Saturday 10th June 2006, 09:28   #4
jon hardacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
Sue

You haven't said whether you want to play this on PC or on a DVD player (or both).

If you only want to play it on a PC then a DVD-ROM such as BWPi is fine, but it won't play on a DVD player. So if you want to play it on a PC and a DVD player you want a DVD-Video and we (Bird Images) produce a range of these - the website is www.birdvideodvd.com.

One of them - British Bird Songs - may well be ideal for your purposes.

If you want an independant summary then BBC Wildlife magazine did a review of CDs and DVDs in the January 2006 issue (we came top!). Back issues can be bought here http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/viewIssue.asp?id=509.

I hope that helps.
Hi Sue
Another one of Paul's films is The Warblers of Britain and Europe - but obviously deals with just warblers so it might not cover all the spps you want. However the photography is excellent and detailed commentary from Mr. Oddie - I didn't include this choice in my first reply as I wasn't sure this was available on DVD - but if it is then another great choice to consider. I have used this film many times as a 'revision' aid before going abroad and for the Spring and Autumn migration periods in uk just before the LBJ's arrive
Regards Jon
Old Wednesday 14th June 2006, 21:03   #5
sooseee

thanks paul- intend to treat myself so will be in touch- Sue.
Old Wednesday 14th June 2006, 21:04   #6
sooseee

Thank you Jon- I'm really keen to learn lots about Warblers- song,habits etc and am grateful for your help. Sue.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: