Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 20th June 2006, 05:18   #1
peter mathios

A Bit of a Risk??

This painting is of a pair of Sandhill Cranes is almost finished and I was wondering if anybody would care to offer a critique. This is a bit of a risk on a public forum but could also be educational. I should preface by saying that the image looks a bit dark on my computer moniter but may look different on yours... Also, I may not have uploaded the image correctly. We'll see.

Peter Mathos
www.mathiosstudios.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandhill Cranes2.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	49508  
Old Tuesday 20th June 2006, 06:30   #2
nightheron28
Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinate !!

Cool! I like the Cranes offset like they are. I wish the image size was larger so I could see more detail. I use a low resolution to 1024x768. But I understand there are limitations to file size on this forum, but maybe link to photobucket or something. This could just be the image size so Im not sure and this is a bit picky, but on the back cranes leggs it seem as if the one that is farthest from the viewer is actually crossing the front legg, is this intended? It looks a bit awkward. Seems that leg should be behind the front leg. Of course I am but a student myself, so my critique is not much.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by nightheron28 : Tuesday 20th June 2006 at 21:23.
Old Tuesday 20th June 2006, 15:02   #3
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I like the composition and the feel of movement on this one. One thing to consider before signing it is to make sure the bird in the background looks like it is further away than the front one, this is something you do very well in your other pics but here it looks like they are at the same distance. Of course, this may be an illusion created by looking at the pic on the internet.
Old Wednesday 21st June 2006, 04:02   #4
peter mathios

Both good points! I need to work on both. Thank you. I will post a new pic when I am finished.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: