Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 161 votes, 4.81 average.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 08:08   #13476
Chris-Leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawts View Post
Today I was able to get some stonking shots of Stock Dove feeding on the ground a few feet away.

As seen on Birdguides.

I've now started to dream about redpolls
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 08:40   #13477
James Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Now that I would really like to see.
Best I've had at Roundhay over the years is 2 pair on Waterloo Lake and a pair on Upper Lake about 5 years ago.
...and 13000 coot? Apparently this was probably very conservative

Some Snaps and Some Flickrsnaps
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 09:33   #13478
schiffornis
AWBirder

Really nice Nuthatch photo Clare!

My days birding didn't quite go to plan though after my windscreen got smashed on the A15! What a waste of a great day!!

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsbyClareScott View Post
Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)
Thailand Birding Trip Report
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 09:36   #13479
Hotspur
James Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiffornis View Post

My days birding didn't quite go to plan though after my windscreen got smashed on the A15! What a waste of a great day!!

Andy
Looks like you had the same plans as me...

If its any consolation - the buzzard didnt show that well (distant, silhouetted by the sun).
Last Yorks: Masked Shrike (304)
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 11:27   #13480
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Looks like you had the same plans as me...

If its any consolation - the buzzard didnt show that well (distant, silhouetted by the sun).
Thanks James, I think I did!
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:44   #13481
loiner

[quote=Lawts;2055623]I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

I've been up a couple of times lately and walked the lake near The Mansion.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

I've usually found the 'Gorge' and the area between the large lower (Waterloo) Lake and the golf couse the best, probably because they're the quietest.
Someone did hang feeders and spread seed on the walls of the Castle ruin at the north end of the Waterloo Lake, which attracted tits (including a Marsh Tit for several winters), nuthatch, finches, but this seems to have stopped. The ducks and geese are fed on both lakes, which attracts a few sparrows, corvids, etc. as well.
The small (upper) lake usually has a pair of Little Grebes in summer whilst the Waterloo Lake has up to five pairs of Great Crested Grebe in the area that the boats can't access.
The large lake seems to attract more fly-over waders and a wider variety of wildfowl.
The churchyard near the car park in the old open-air swimming pool site (just below the dam on the large lake) is also worth visiting (Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and large Brambling flocks in years gone by).
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 19:13   #13482
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Had a trip down to Swillington Ings late this afternoon, managed to be looking at the gulls when the bittern flew so missed it completely, just my luck. There were plenty of gulls coming in but sadly I couldn't find a white wing among them.
There were 19 curlew on stint island just before I left and a very vocal pair of oystercatchers were nice birds to find tazzing around Astley Lake.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 19:35   #13483
Martin Standley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyzen View Post
Great images Martin!

Which camera did you use ?

Dave.
Thanks for the compliment Dave.
I've recently got some new gear so the point about digiscoping on my website is slightly misleading.
The images of the slavonian grebe were taken with a nikon D300 and 500mm lens.
Martin

http://eastyorkshirewildlife.blogspot.com/
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 20:39   #13484
BeadsbyClareScott

Quote:

Andy

Cheers Andy. Hope you got your car sorted.

=)
http://www.photographybyclarescott.co.uk
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:08   #13485
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Cheers Andy. Hope you got your car sorted.

=)
Thanks Clare - got it sorted!

Had a good day today! I got more looks at the Rough-legged Buzzard today so it was all good in the end!
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:20   #13486
BeadsbyClareScott

Excellent! Did it come any closer to the layby? I`m told he flies over to the Island sometimes...
http://www.photographybyclarescott.co.uk
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:24   #13487
schiffornis
AWBirder

Had an hour at South Ferriby today, really good views of the Rough-leg. North Duffield Carrs for the last hour of light had 116 Whooper Swan which is my highest personal count so far. Shovelers also up on my last visit. More details and counts on my blog.

Cheers, Andy
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:28   #13488
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Excellent! Did it come any closer to the layby? I`m told he flies over to the Island sometimes...
Yeah was closer than my last visit at least, near the edge of the fenced area. Marsh Harriers (x3 min) were also showing well too. It was good views until the sun came out, then it was backlit etc so wasn't great then.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:39   #13489
DOC REED

Tykes!

Just in case anyone is interested........tykes forum day meet this sunday. Check yorkshire thread for info...hope I haven't just volunteered as secretary....but would be happy to be so!!!

Paul

ps all welcome!!Latest is a day at coast...with a look for raptors..not kestrels,not sprawks!!

pps no one now has an excuse ' they didn't know!!'

Last edited by DOC REED : Wednesday 9th February 2011 at 21:48.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:43   #13490
zing

Quote:
Had an hour at South Ferriby today, really good views of the Rough-leg. North Duffield Carrs for the last hour of light had 116 Whooper Swan which is my highest personal count so far. Shovelers also up on my last visit. More details and counts on my blog.

Cheers, Andy
love the stuff on the blog Andy keep it up, were the cormorants still showing on the far posts i was down there yesterday morning until a fox turned up at about 10am and scared most of the birds away.

also went to Allerthorpe today lots of finches,coal tits etc and several tree creepers.

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a5a.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	307678  Click image for larger version

Name:	Allerthorpe.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	307680  

Last edited by zing : Wednesday 9th February 2011 at 21:59. Reason: info
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:57   #13491
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
love the stuff on the blog Andy keep it up, were the cormorants still showing on the far posts i was down there yesterday morning until a fox turned up at about 10am and scared most of the birds away.

also went to Allerthorpe today lots of finches,coal tits etc and several tree creepers.

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Thanks Zing glad you like the blog - It's great over at North Duffield, may see you over there!!! I didn't see a single Cormorant down there today, I guess they'd gone up to Wheldrake by the time I got there.

Was there any redpoll over there today? Might try and take a look at the weekend

Cheers, Andy
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:02   #13492
zing

Quote:
Thanks Zing glad you like the blog - It's great over at North Duffield, may see you over there!!! I didn't see a single Cormorant down there today, I guess they'd gone up to Wheldrake by the time I got there.

Was there any redpoll over there today? Might try and take a look at the weekend

Cheers, Andy
did not see any but things are starting to hot up as you might expect at this time of year,it was very noticable that the North duff area was very light on birds during the windy spell got any theories?
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:08   #13493
DOC REED

Sale of forrestry commission woodlands

Not sure who first announced this..but I jumped on the waggon.The bill was narrowly defeated apparently..meaning the government now have go ahead to sell off thousands hectares forrestry woodland..watch out wykeham etc etc. My local MP has replied, god bless him.He does seem quite animated for a politician...there is a meeting in York, sat 12th feb at 15 Priory St, at the Priory st centre,YO1 6ET. This has resulted from the 'save our forrests campaign'.
The meeting starts at 11 am.
Hugh Bayley the mp has given this contact details for those interested in attending, but I suggest anyone who can or wishes to attend should!!

The email is that of his parliamentary assistant: martin.leay@parliament.uk

They are going to sell it off.....rights of way??Wildlife??Nightjars??Goshawks???

Long time since i was politically motivated....this has woken me up though!!

My political persuasion doesn't matter......nor should anyones re this matter....say no more!!

Paul

Last edited by DOC REED : Wednesday 9th February 2011 at 23:24.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:09   #13494
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
did not see any but things are starting to hot up as you might expect at this time of year,it was very noticable that the North duff area was very light on birds during the windy spell got any theories?
I guess they were in amongst the vegetation or up against the banks sheltering. I guess with the higher water levels they may be more 'spread out' also.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:26   #13495
zing

Top Hill Low

Going to try (if weathers owt like) Top Hill Low tomorrow apparently Glaucous,Goldeneye, little egret, lesser black backed, smew,woodcock and brambling have all been regulars this week anybody got any info on it?
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:32   #13496
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Going to try (if weathers owt like) Top Hill Low tomorrow apparently Glaucous,Goldeneye, little egret, lesser black backed, smew,woodcock and brambling have all been regulars this week anybody got any info on it?
Check out http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/ it has contact number. Give Rich a call to see whats about - thats probably best to see whats going on on a particular day

Woodcock and Brambling will be from the visitors centre. The gulls will be around D res at the roost if it they are about. Goldeneye may be on either res. The smew may be on the O or D res but may also be at Watton Pits, probably best for little egret there (or on one of the wader scrapes down that way.)
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:35   #13497
zing

Quote:
Check out http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/ it has contact number. Give Rich a call to see whats about - thats probably best to see whats going on on a particular day

Woodcock and Brambling will be from the visitors centre. The gulls will be around D res at the roost if it they are about. Goldeneye may be on either res. The smew may be on the O or D res but may also be at Watton Pits, probably best for little egret there (or on one of the wader scrapes down that way.)
Spot on Andy, many thanks for the info, appreciate the help, will give it a go tomorrow.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:45   #13498
Lawts
Supa Silly Un

Quote:
Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)
Love the Nuthatch Clare - finally some sun!
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:46   #13499
Lawts
Supa Silly Un

[quote=loiner;2056106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawts View Post
I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

I've been up a couple of times lately and walked the lake near The Mansion.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

I've usually found the 'Gorge' and the area between the large lower (Waterloo) Lake and the golf couse the best, probably because they're the quietest.
Someone did hang feeders and spread seed on the walls of the Castle ruin at the north end of the Waterloo Lake, which attracted tits (including a Marsh Tit for several winters), nuthatch, finches, but this seems to have stopped. The ducks and geese are fed on both lakes, which attracts a few sparrows, corvids, etc. as well.
The small (upper) lake usually has a pair of Little Grebes in summer whilst the Waterloo Lake has up to five pairs of Great Crested Grebe in the area that the boats can't access.
The large lake seems to attract more fly-over waders and a wider variety of wildfowl.
The churchyard near the car park in the old open-air swimming pool site (just below the dam on the large lake) is also worth visiting (Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and large Brambling flocks in years gone by).
Thanks all for the info. Looking forward to photographing some displaying GCG's in the next couple of months.
Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 23:23   #13500
DOC REED

Where are they?

Quote:
I guess they were in amongst the vegetation or up against the banks sheltering. I guess with the higher water levels they may be more 'spread out' also.
Can't give personal obs re N.Duff....but..Holy island couple of weeks ago, where normally have seen birds in harbour and landward side.....nil doing. Big westerly was blowing though...and on N sea side small beach with waders +++,kestrel and female Hen Harrier!

Suppose the birds aren't stupid...been here longer than us!!
Local patch work tells me the same...one day nothing, next,,,plenty!!
They just get down out of weather..I think!!!
Paul
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: