Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.45 average.
Old Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 22:20   #13701
schiffornis
AWBirder

The Arctic Redpoll was reported from Allerthorpe Common again today - it came onto Birdguides late this evening, does anyone know anything about this sighting?

Cheers, Andy

Thailand Trip Report
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 08:19   #13702
DOC REED

Ian Andrews posted on York site yesterday.He is a ringer.I asked if any photos and the answer is no.I am not doubting his observation....but I personally would love to see some photos.!!So initial sighting was single observer.
Not sure if record being put forward to county.I don't know who has reported it today.
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 16:59   #13703
vwxyzen
swillybirder

Slavonian Grebe at Swillington Ings

Pic of today's Slavonian Grebe just to the left of the causeway taken this afternoon.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slav.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	310061  
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 18:01   #13704
Syrphus

Hi

Arctic Redpoll at Allerthorpe

I have only just joined this forum, but I reported this bird. It was there again today, from 9am until midday. It is in a flock of 100 or so Redpolls, the vast majority of which are flammea. On the ground, with pale flammea, there is no comparison...it is a very white bird. Two days ago, when I watched it at close range, it showed no streaks on undertail coverts and the rump is pure white and extensive up the back onto the mantle. The whole ground colour is very white indeed.

There are several birds within this flock which you could consider for some time on the basis of their white rumps, but this bird is obvious! It is instructive just to see the vast variation within the Redpolls of this flock...some appear very large indeed. Unfortunately, they did not reach my nets, today...I would be interested to get an idea of the relative size and colour of birds within the flock.

The flock seems to appear at the south side of this tiny reserve and then works its way to the top left corner, before fading away into the forest to the west. I saw no sign over lunch today, and gave it up for the afternoon.

Ian

Last edited by Syrphus : Thursday 24th February 2011 at 18:03.
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 18:16   #13705
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrphus View Post
Hi

I have only just joined this forum, but I reported this bird. It was there again today, from 9am until midday. It is in a flock of 100 or so Redpolls, the vast majority of which are flammea. On the ground, with pale flammea, there is no comparison...it is a very white bird. Two days ago, when I watched it at close range, it showed no streaks on undertail coverts and the rump is pure white and extensive up the back onto the mantle. The whole ground colour is very white indeed.

There are several birds within this flock which you could consider for some time on the basis of their white rumps, but this bird is obvious! It is instructive just to see the vast variation within the Redpolls of this flock...some appear very large indeed. Unfortunately, they did not reach my nets, today...I would be interested to get an idea of the relative size and colour of birds within the flock.

The flock seems to appear at the south side of this tiny reserve and then works its way to the top left corner, before fading away into the forest to the west. I saw no sign over lunch today, and gave it up for the afternoon.

Ian
Thanks for the info Ian, and welcome to the best bit on bird forum! I'm going to head across tomorrow to take a look.

Cheers, Andy
Thailand Trip Report
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 18:26   #13706
Chris-Leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyzen View Post
Pic of today's Slavonian Grebe just to the left of the causeway taken this afternoon.

Dave
Nice one Dave, hope it stays but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 19:13   #13707
DOC REED

Quote:
Hi

Ian
Yes thanks Ian

I can't get there till saturday..desperate to see it.....to compare to redhouse polls been watching all winter.

Paul
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 19:21   #13708
DOC REED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyzen View Post

Dave
Nice shot Dave, well done!!!
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 19:25   #13709
naturenorth

Drake Smew on far side of Flasks Lake at Nosterfield Quarry this afternoon as per Grahame Bentley from Richmond and Hambleton RSPB local group.
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 21:47   #13710
zing

Sun at last

started out at Thixendale superb display by 6 buzzards all interacting with each other plenty of hare's and partridge. then onto top hill low when light was good birds went AWOL when light was poor birds seemed to return.GSW showed well,plenty of brambling at the visitor centre, smew and goldeneye on the D pool plus dabchicks x 2 and 6-10 gadwall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gw2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	310100  Click image for larger version

Name:	gsw1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	310101  
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 23:08   #13711
Dicky Ticker
Birds, burgers and buffoonery!

Quote:
Hi

Ian
Hi Ian,

Met you there today with my daughter, never saw the Coue's. Gutted I missed it by an hour or so, shouldn't have filled my belly at Langlands first! Thanks for showing us the Adders by the way, was a cracking day all the same!

Hope to get back there early next week as too much on over next 3 days

Richard
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 07:11   #13712
Q@Spurn

Morning all. Can anybody offer a location for Allerthorpe Common? I presume it's in Allerthorpe?! Cheers
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 07:23   #13713
Syrphus

North up the A1079 past Pocklington and turn off left down Sutton Lane (for Sutton-upon Derwent) opposite Hewson and Robinson garage. Carry on until first turning on left for Thornton. Take that and carry on down to main, signed, FC car park on right. Enter forest across the road from there and walk straight on, on path beside field, until you reach the fenced off reserve. Grid ref: SE761475

Ian

In other words...No, it's not in Allerthorpe!!

Last edited by Syrphus : Friday 25th February 2011 at 07:26.
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 07:27   #13714
BirdFlower
Always more to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q@Spurn View Post
Morning all. Can anybody offer a location for Allerthorpe Common? I presume it's in Allerthorpe?! Cheers
No, it's not in Allerthorpe!

Allerthorpe Common Grid reference SE 753 473 Post code YO42 4
Take the A1079 from Market Weighton towards York. DO NOT follow the signs to Allerthorpe. Carry on past the Barmby Moor turn off and turn left at the Esso garage (care may have changed hands) following the sign to Sutton-on-Derwent & Thornton. Carry straight on and take the left turn signed to Thornton. After about Ĺ a mile turn right into a car park. (You can also park on your left just before the left hand turn to Thornton - from there YWT reserve is a short walk).
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 07:56   #13715
Q@Spurn

thanks for above. Glad I asked! Cheers
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 16:06   #13716
Mike Richardson
Formerly known as Skink1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Hi Ian,

Thanks for showing us the Adders by the way, was a cracking day all the same!

Richard
Just out of interest how many Adders did you see? Numbers seem to have dropped quite alot in the reserve over the last couple of years.

Thanks

www.wildlifewanderer.co.uk - Travel exploits of a reptile obsessed, mammal mad, birder
BF Supporter 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 16:46   #13717
Syrphus

Viperae

Quote:
Originally Posted by skink1978 View Post
Just out of interest how many Adders did you see? Numbers seem to have dropped quite alot in the reserve over the last couple of years.

Thanks

In my experience, numbers have not dropped. However, with the increased clearings created over the last few years, the animals have spread out more. Yesterday, I counted 8, in one small area near the YWT reserve. There are areas with more than that, though, and last March/April I was regularly finding 20+, as I wandered around in search of early season hoverflies. If you know where to look, there are certainly large numbers to be seen.

There were quite a few Lizards around, yesterday, as well.

Ian
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 17:25   #13718
DOC REED

Any news on the arctic redpoll at allerthorpe today?? My first chance to get there tomorrow.
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 20:40   #13719
Mike Richardson
Formerly known as Skink1978

Quote:
In my experience, numbers have not dropped. However, with the increased clearings created over the last few years, the animals have spread out more. Yesterday, I counted 8, in one small area near the YWT reserve. There are areas with more than that, though, and last March/April I was regularly finding 20+, as I wandered around in search of early season hoverflies. If you know where to look, there are certainly large numbers to be seen.

Ian
That's good news.

I have seen Adders in other parts of the forest (including several basking on the main paths) but the actual reserve is where I have always actively searched for them.

In recent years Iíve noticed an increase in other snake watchers (at least at weekends) while at the same time, Adder numbers have appeared to decline.

Itís good to know Allerthorpe still has good numbers elsewhere in the forest.

www.wildlifewanderer.co.uk - Travel exploits of a reptile obsessed, mammal mad, birder
BF Supporter 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 20:45   #13720
Syrphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC REED View Post
Any news on the arctic redpoll at allerthorpe today?? My first chance to get there tomorrow.
Didn't get down there today. Probably have a look in the morning, so might see you there?

Pegasos equino capite volucres et grypas aurita aduncitate rostri fabulosos reor
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 21:11   #13721
DOC REED

Quote:
Didn't get down there today. Probably have a look in the morning, so might see you there?
Hi Ian

Local knowledge would be great...would be lovely to meet,,,not sure if you have followed 'my quest' for a local Arctic, check out 'yorkshire redpoll' forum!!

Desperate to see genuine article...yes, could have gone to Durham etc, but not my scene really, into local birding mostly.
Hoping to get down tomorrow am...hope u r there, need to talk to you about ringing..firstly re redhouse redpolls, secondly am interested in learning myself, need advice.

If we don't cross paths could I PM u re latter??

Paul
Old Friday 25th February 2011, 22:23   #13722
Dicky Ticker
Birds, burgers and buffoonery!

Quote:

Ian
Had several Adders plus 1 Lizard along bank of same ditch..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7663addersmall.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	310236  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7773addersmall.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	310237  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7691lizardsmall.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	310238  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7703lizardsmall.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	310239  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7787addersmall.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	310240  

Old Saturday 26th February 2011, 10:32   #13723
Syrphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC REED View Post
Hi Ian

Local knowledge would be great...would be lovely to meet,,,not sure if you have followed 'my quest' for a local Arctic, check out 'yorkshire redpoll' forum!!

Paul
No sign of any redpolls today before 11 am, when I had to leave.

Sorry I didn't bump into you, Paul

By all means PM.

Ian

Pegasos equino capite volucres et grypas aurita aduncitate rostri fabulosos reor
Old Saturday 26th February 2011, 11:25   #13724
Jono L

Yesterday (Friday) a third of the flock (not containing the Arctic) were feeding on the ground, possibly on heather seeds in the southwest corner of the YWT reserve. There were some very pale Mealies among them. It took us 2 hours to find them!
Cheers
Jono
Old Saturday 26th February 2011, 13:49   #13725
pete seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturenorth View Post
Just found out this morning when doing a trudge round Staveley YWT in the mud and rain that Nosterfield NR had a Shore Lark by the main lake last weekend.

Highlight at Staveley today was Pintail on West Lagoon.
Shore Lark reported again on reserve today with Water Pipit and drake Smew at nearby quarry as per RBA.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: