Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.77 average.
Old Saturday 11th February 2012, 22:08   #17251
schiffornis
AWBirder

Had another good local walk this afternoon, highlights were 3 Short-eared Owl and a Kingfisher - pic/details here
Thailand Birding Trip Report
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 10:20   #17252
ERH

Blackcap in the snow

Amazing birds in the garden during the cold spell. Herring, Black Headed, and even 2 LBB gulls flying over local gardens looking hungry obviously wanting to land. A heron drifted around at roof level several times. Long tailed tits joined the usual suspects on the feeders and mistle thrush has been around for days. But today a male blackcap has been flitting around - a strange sight in the snow. Got some poor pictures - will post the best. Has anyone else had winter blackcap in Yorkshire?
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 11:00   #17253
BirdFlower
Always more to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
But today a male blackcap has been flitting around - a strange sight in the snow. Got some poor pictures - will post the best. Has anyone else had winter blackcap in Yorkshire?
One reported from a Cottingham garden last week. If you are in the Hull Valley, worth letting the website know. They love cheese, suet blocks & taking potato from an old jacket potato
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 11:03   #17254
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I've had wintering blackcap in the past but not for a few years. Always found them quite happy with wireworms.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 15:05   #17255
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Had a walk around part of Eccup Reservoir this morning, the first time in absolutely ages.
I was very happy to see that the old high wire mesh fencing had been replaced by a low level barbed wire fence. You can now scan the res without suddenly loosing a bird behind a fencepost.
There wasn't a huge amount of species about but wigeon and greylag geese numbers were easily up to a couple of hundred. The wigeon were down the western end of the reservoir but the geese were in the fields to the west of Goodricke Lane. Tried my damnedest to turn one of the greylags into a bean goose but sadly they wouldn't play ball.
Had singleton goldeneye and goosander, along with a handful of teal, mallard and tufted duck. Passerines were very few, mainly blue and great tits in the scrub.
A red kite being mobbed by crows was a nice way to end the walk, the bird was little more than 30 foot up so the bins weren't needed for good views.
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 15:07   #17256
knocker7800

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC REED View Post
Generally quiet but 2 barn owls yesterday.Flock of c. 60 siskin/redpoll but elusive.Highlight yesterday was the mammals!!
Fantastic pictures Paul as always, suffering from man flu at moment so only doing armchair birding but still picking up all five common thrushes flitting about the gardens down my street.

2011 List (205)
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 19:27   #17257
joespy

Had fantastic views of a flock of Fieldfares on the way home yesterday from Filey. They were flying and swooping like starlings do.... there must have been over 1000. Never seen anything like that before with these birds, I've seen lesser flocks 2/300 but how they swirled around high up, I had to stop the car (on the busy A166 ) and take it in.
Joe
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 19:50   #17258
ERH

Blackap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdFlower View Post
One reported from a Cottingham garden last week. If you are in the Hull Valley, worth letting the website know. They love cheese, suet blocks & taking potato from an old jacket potato
We are about 6 miles south of Selby so not in Hull valley but thanks for the suggestion. The bird returned several times during the day but showed no interest in the food on offer. He did a lot of preening and rooting around in a dwarf willow which the blue tits and wren also frequent. I assume this is a bird driven out of central Europe by the severe weather so there may be more around. I attached a couple of shots - taken at distance through the window so not great but ok.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080 9257 Blackcap.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	369212  Click image for larger version

Name:	080 9259 Blackcap.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	369213  
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 20:07   #17259
ERH

Larus laughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiffornis View Post
Still loads of Thrushes in the garden today.

On a seperate note check out the budget gull masterclasses coming to a seafront near you soon...
Anyone who has not checked out this gull masterclass link - it's a hoot - have a look.
Brid is my gull hunting ground but I do not get there often enough in winter. If it helps with the masterclass I did a survey on food preference of harbour gulls. Of the argenteus I interviewed, 37.5% preferred haddock in batter, 43% were codheads but disgruntled at the lack of supply, a small group of gourmet gulls would only eat fish from Audrey's, 7.89% were happy to fly a bit further to nick fish from Busy Bees, but a rough looking lot from the south pier would eat anything that had ever been alive.
This brute below was last seen eating a tourist's spam fritter. I don't like the way he was looking at me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2635 Herring Gull adult winter 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	369216  
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 20:38   #17260
loiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Had a walk around part of Eccup Reservoir this morning, the first time in absolutely ages.
I was very happy to see that the old high wire mesh fencing had been replaced by a low level barbed wire fence. You can now scan the res without suddenly loosing a bird behind a fencepost.
There wasn't a huge amount of species about but wigeon and greylag geese numbers were easily up to a couple of hundred. The wigeon were down the western end of the reservoir but the geese were in the fields to the west of Goodricke Lane. Tried my damnedest to turn one of the greylags into a bean goose but sadly they wouldn't play ball.
Had singleton goldeneye and goosander, along with a handful of teal, mallard and tufted duck. Passerines were very few, mainly blue and great tits in the scrub.
A red kite being mobbed by crows was a nice way to end the walk, the bird was little more than 30 foot up so the bins weren't needed for good views.
I did the WeBS count at dusk, over 500 Wigeon and 300 Teal but only 21 Goosander - Eccup used to hold over 100 in the winter roost. About 20000 gulls in the roost, I was a bit late so didn't pick out the Mediterranean.
There were at least three White-fronted Geese (and a Bar-headed Goose) with Greylags in the field by Goodrick Lodge.
This morning at Harewood there were over 1000 Canada Geese and at least 58 Barnacles (plus three Egyptian Geese) and again no storks.
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 21:48   #17261
schiffornis
AWBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Anyone who has not checked out this gull masterclass link - it's a hoot - have a look.
Brid is my gull hunting ground but I do not get there often enough in winter. If it helps with the masterclass I did a survey on food preference of harbour gulls. Of the argenteus I interviewed, 37.5% preferred haddock in batter, 43% were codheads but disgruntled at the lack of supply, a small group of gourmet gulls would only eat fish from Audrey's, 7.89% were happy to fly a bit further to nick fish from Busy Bees, but a rough looking lot from the south pier would eat anything that had ever been alive.
This brute below was last seen eating a tourist's spam fritter. I don't like the way he was looking at me.
Thanks Eric!!!

I think a few bags of 'fish-n-chips' will aid hugely in the success of this bargin gull masterclass! (Places still available!)

Andy
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 21:51   #17262
schiffornis
AWBirder

Great walk round Potteric this morning, found an Iceland Gull and really nice views of a foraging Kingfisher. Pics/details here.

Cheers, Andy
Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 07:01   #17263
Trystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trystan View Post
Lovely mixed flock of finches outside work this morning. 5 Greenfinch, 2 Goldfinch, 2 Siskin and around 20 Redpoll.

I don't have bins with me but will bring them tomorrow as a couple of the redpolls looked quite pale!
These went AWOL for a while but were back yesterday, only lessers though, couldn't make a mealy of them!
Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 11:13   #17264
schiffornis
AWBirder

Had a great showing by three Barn Owls the last two mornings by my village, great stuff. Male Goosander flew over York City centre yesterday am - about my 3rd sighting this winter. More here.
Old Wednesday 15th February 2012, 15:57   #17265
arthur heaton

Nice little garden first today-Reed Bunting.
Old Wednesday 15th February 2012, 16:33   #17266
Richard G

Plenty of Teal on Fewston this afternoon, along with a male Goldeneye which looked to be close to the path running along the edge of the resevoir. Only trouble was I was on the opposite bank with my camera!!

A slowly improving UK Life List - Last Lifers - Twite (193)
Old Wednesday 15th February 2012, 18:43   #17267
northernloon
swimming in a virtual sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur heaton View Post
Nice little garden first today-Reed Bunting.
Good 'un Arthur. Reminded me of my only 'garden' records of two on the roof of outhouse in my Liverpool home. Made a nice change from spuggies and pigeons
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 14:51   #17268
Richard G

Planning a run out to Nosterfield tomorrow afternoon, as I've heard quite a bit about it but never been. Just wondering if it was worth a look & if there's anything decent about on the reserve?

Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 16:30   #17269
andy hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Planning a run out to Nosterfield tomorrow afternoon, as I've heard quite a bit about it but never been. Just wondering if it was worth a look & if there's anything decent about on the reserve?
Common Crane's still there
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 17:10   #17270
zing

A mixed and frustrating day.

Started out at North Cave very little about Teal,Redshank.Shelduck, Gulls etc
moved on to Top Hill, No show kingfisher but good barn owl display weaving in and out of the pine trees. Plenty of long tailed tits,great tits chaffinch etc.Goldfinch spotted by fellow birder ( i missed it!!!) birds on the pools on the wrong side as usual. Got a tip off of Drake smew and goosander on Welton waters distant views of both but could not get close due to the area now completely fenced off (Angling club) only things i could get close to attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gsw1a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	369748  Click image for larger version

Name:	yh1a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	369749  
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 17:15   #17271
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy hood View Post
Common Crane's still there
Sounds good - would be my first lifer of the year (if I get my car back from Kwik Fit before lunchtime though )

Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 17:27   #17272
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Richard - the Crane is usually at the lake by the quarry car park not at the nature reserve car park.
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 17:38   #17273
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Richard - the Crane is usually at the lake by the quarry car park not at the nature reserve car park.
Cheers Keith.

Is that the Tarmac Visitor Centre car park? How far is that from the actual reserve?

Richard

Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 18:54   #17274
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

The Google map I've created HERE shows the nature reserve car park, the Tarmac car park and the viewing screen, no car park but there's a couple places close by where you can park up.
The crane has been frequenting Lingham Water, there's a footpath from the Tarmac car park you can follow to view view Flask Lake and the other areas of water on thew quarry site.
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 21:10   #17275
schiffornis
AWBirder

A few birds at Bubwith Bridge this afternoon: Little Grebe on the river, plenty of waterfowl on the floods and a flock of 150+ Pink-footed Goose flying through. Full details/usual rubbish photos etc here!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: