• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (23 Viewers)

10 waxwing in Leeds this morning, in trees in Woodhouse Moor whilst walking from Hyde Park Corner across to the university. Also loads of redwings, many subsinging. Nice.

I can't believe that the only morning I didn't walk into work this week, waxwings have turned up on my "walking to work patch" this year. Luckily I have had them as a year tick on that patch. Redwings were on the park earlier in the week.

while I'm posting, we've had an eventful week in the garden. somehow there is something artistic about the second picture!? (taken from the iphone through the scope)

Attachments

• sparrowhawk1.jpg
    sparrowhawk1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 118
  • sparrowhawk6.jpg
    sparrowhawk6.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 120
Fieldfares

Looks as if the fieldfares may be getting ready to leave? I have seen two large flocks in the last couple of days, the first in a field just outside the village and then today just out of county (sorry!) in Wycoller Country Park.

Graeme

I'm sure I saw half dozen waxwings in Pontefract this morning, no bins as I was on the way to work. I'd love to be 100% certain as that would mean that I've seen waxwings every month for the last 5 months

Had 3 Yorkshire peregrines today including 1 over my garden, my 50th garden species in less than 100 days in my new house! Lots of wildfowl and waders at North Duffield Carrs this evening, details on my blog

2 flocks of around 50 Fieldfares along the canal between Durkar and Horbury Bridge yesterday. 1 flock around lock keepers house near Navigation pub, other flock past the "White Stork" nest site heading to the Bingley Arms.

Just had half an hour to spare today so went down to Thorpe Marsh Power Station, as I got out of the car a Peregrine was flying over, I thought not a bad start. I then went down the National Grid lane and five flocks of Waxwing flew into the tall trees alongside the lane, about 100 in total. Then walked further down the lane and checked out the finch flocks. Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Brambling, along with Reed Warbler, Great Tit and Blue Tit. As I walked back to the car a pair of Bully's flew along the hedge. Not a bad half hour at all.
Dave.

Made it over to Wykeham today, my GF came along for a walk which scuppered my early start but not to worry, a distant Goshawk turned up after only a 5 minute wait.

Sat in the forge valley for lunch with good views of nuthatch and marsh tit before heading back to wykeham. Parked in the carpark before the raptor view point and walked the roads round the area with another Goshawk over briefly and finally a flock of 15 crossbill giving excellent views before being spooked by a raleigh bike which probably shouldn't have been there.

Very enjoyable day with 2 new year and UK species!

Good count of 36 (or possibly 37) Goosander at Wheldrake this evening, no sign of any white-wingers. Did manage to get the Grey Plover at Thorganby at last light, detail on my blog...

Just had half an hour to spare today so went down to Thorpe Marsh Power Station, as I got out of the car a Peregrine was flying over, I thought not a bad start. I then went down the National Grid lane and five flocks of Waxwing flew into the tall trees alongside the lane, about 100 in total. Then walked further down the lane and checked out the finch flocks. Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Brambling, along with Reed Warbler, Great Tit and Blue Tit. As I walked back to the car a pair of Bully's flew along the hedge. Not a bad half hour at all.
Dave.
Perhaps a bit early in the year for a Reed Warbler! Reed Bunting?

Had a couple of hours at Redhouse in the sunshine this afternoon with my new lens. Topped the feeders up a bit then managed to disturb a woodcock -I'm not sure who was the most surprised! Heard but didn't see GSW & ?barny. Plenty of chaffinches on the ground. Goldfinches, Siskins & Long Tailed tits around. To finish the afternoon of nicely, a wren.

Attachments

• wren.jpg
    wren.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Siskin4.jpg
    Siskin4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 37
  • chaffinch1.jpg
    chaffinch1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Long tailed tits1.jpg
    Long tailed tits1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 35
Had a couple of hours at Redhouse in the sunshine this afternoon with my new lens. Topped the feeders up a bit then managed to disturb a woodcock -I'm not sure who was the most surprised! Heard but didn't see GSW & ?barny. Plenty of chaffinches on the ground. Goldfinches, Siskins & Long Tailed tits around. To finish the afternoon of nicely, a wren.

Nice one!! For those interested, redpoll flock had just about completely moved to small copse near water station on tuesday. Some fab photo opportunities if u r willing to take time, creep through trees etc.

Coast to Coast Fundrasing Ride Update

Just an update to say thanks to everyone who has sponsored me and report that I'm in Leeds, a little over half way, having raised £385 to date...

Miles total 128
Time total 12:50:41
Average speed 10 mph
Max speed 39 mph
Miles onroad 100
Miles offroad 28
Bike + luggage weight 39kg
Speed limits exceeded 3
Times airborne 1
Punctures 0
Species Recorded 56
Money raised £385

Hoping for a tailwind from here. The northeasterly blowing over the Pennines was a killer. Will reach Bridlington on Tuesday afternoon and then the final short leg to Bempton Cliffs on Wednesday morning.

RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG