• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire Birding (1 Viewer)

I saw my first Wheatear of the year today. At Rossall Point in Fleetwood. I reckon summer must be coming. :)

You may be right, Swallow, Sand Martin and a Chiffchaff reported down at Brockholes Wetland this weekend. I've been down twice now and no seen any of the above!

Derek

Sightings from the last few days include: -

Sunday@ Stanley Park Blackpool, 3 x GC Grebes, 2 x GS Woodpeckers, 2 x Treecreepers, 1 x Nuthatch & 1 x Sparrowhawk & plenty of Grey Herons at the heronry.

Tuesday@ Fleetwood Marsh Nature/Dog walking park, 1 x female Stonechat, 4x Skylark, 1 x Little Grebe (no sign of any Wheatears which is what i was hoping for).

I've attached a batch of photos with plenty more to go on my website.

Cheers

Cliff

Attachments

• skylark_230310a.jpg
    skylark_230310a.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 62
  • gcGrebe_210310g.jpg
    gcGrebe_210310g.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 42
  • cormorant_210310f.jpg
    cormorant_210310f.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 54
  • nuthatch_210310b.jpg
    nuthatch_210310b.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 64
  • sparrowhawk_210310a.jpg
    sparrowhawk_210310a.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 76
Going to Moore nature reserve tomorrow and looking for some info about getting there from Warrington central by bike any suggestions? is there access past the Ferry TavernB :) just in case i get lost;)

Frank

1.jpg2.jpg

Had a great days birding around lancashire today. 5 Great Crested Grebes were displaying and bickering at Stanley Park giving spectacular views (suspect cliff will upload some better pics later). A cetti's warbler was at Marton Mere and the Green Wiged Teal was showing well at Marshside. 70 species seen in total. More on blog later.

Saw my first summer migrant last night with a ChiffChaff at the Stags Lodge area of Cuerden Valley Park. It was still there this evening when I went back with the camera but couldn't see it!!

Brockholes for an hour or so this afternoon brought 2 Med Gulls amongst the Balck-headed Gulls. Oystercatcher, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Cormorant, Gadwall, Teal, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Curlew, Goldeneye and a Barnacle that seemed to be quite close to one of the many Canada Geese.

Derek

Hey Jonny, nice Grebe shots there, the first is a really unusual pose & the 2nd really shows the crest off :t:. It was a terrific spectacle watching them all wasn't it.

Sightings from the weekend are

Saturday @ Stanley Park, LOTS of Chiffchaff's, the most I saw at anyone time was 4, but they were in evidence all the way around the park.
1 x GC Woodpecker, 2 x Treecreepers, 1 x Nuthatch, 6 x Great Crested Grebes(& that was on the heronry side of the bridge so there could've been more on the other part of the lake), 1 x Sparrowhawk, 1 x reed Bunting (I'd never previously seen a Reed Bunting at Stanley Park - but there was another one there on Sunday too) & 2 x LTT's.

Sunday @ Stanley Park (just an hours visit this time), 3 x Chiffchaff, 5 x GC Grebe, 1 x Reed Bunting & 2 x LTT's.

I've attached a selection of photos, I'll be adding tons more to my website over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Cliff

Attachments

• chiffchaff_280310a.jpg
    chiffchaff_280310a.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 59
  • sprawk_280310a.jpg
    sprawk_280310a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 81
  • longTailedTit_280310a.jpg
    longTailedTit_280310a.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Wren_280310aa.jpg
    Wren_280310aa.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 44
  • gcGrebes_280310k.jpg
    gcGrebes_280310k.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 52
Hey Jonny, nice Grebe shots there, the first is a really unusual pose & the 2nd really shows the crest off :t:. It was a terrific spectacle watching them all wasn't it.

Sightings from the weekend are

Saturday @ Stanley Park, LOTS of Chiffchaff's, the most I saw at anyone time was 4, but they were in evidence all the way around the park.
1 x GC Woodpecker, 2 x Treecreepers, 1 x Nuthatch, 6 x Great Crested Grebes(& that was on the heronry side of the bridge so there could've been more on the other part of the lake), 1 x Sparrowhawk, 1 x reed Bunting (I'd never previously seen a Reed Bunting at Stanley Park - but there was another one there on Sunday too) & 2 x LTT's.

Sunday @ Stanley Park (just an hours visit this time), 3 x Chiffchaff, 5 x GC Grebe, 1 x Reed Bunting & 2 x LTT's.

I've attached a selection of photos, I'll be adding tons more to my website over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Cliff

Cliff me ole mucker where abouts you constantly seeing the Sparrowhawk?

Its the one bird I am determined to get a decent shot of!!!

I have taken over the Breeding Bird Survey in Lancashire South rather close to the start of the fieldwork this year. If anybody reading this is keen to get involved and has a good knowledge of the sight and call identification of most common species please PM me and we can see if there is anything in your area. There are a lot of uncovered squares at the mo.

Regards,

Stephen.

Marsh Harrier showing very well today at Leighton Moss. I parked up in a layby near to the entrance path to the Public Hide and saw 2 Male and 1 Female.

Warton Crag - Raven and Peregrine are looking good. - highlighted for Colonelblimps benefit

Conder Pool/Creek - Goldeneye, Teal, Redshank & Curlew. Missed the Hooded Crow!!

Pilling Lane End - c300 Pinkfooted still around.

Bradshaw Lane - Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting, Red Legged Partridge, Stock Dove

Stags Lodge - 3 Chiffchaff & 1 Blackcap at Church Walk Woods

Across from home - 1 Chiffchaff and a Swallow this evening

Derek

Last edited:
Visited Dunsop Bridge today to look for the Eagle owls with no sucess.I was told last week that they have nested again this year , can anyone confirm this . Thanks

On the way home stopped at the marsh next to Chain Lane down Mythop Road in Blackpool. Saw the following: Kestrel (male), Buzzard, 2 x Shelducks, 2 x Shoveler (m + f), 2 x Lapwings, 6 Teal, 2 Redshanks.

Peregrine pair back at St Walburge's in Preston aswell, hopefully monitor will be rigged up again as they have stopped walks up the spire.

St Walburgs

Peregrine pair back at St Walburge's in Preston aswell, hopefully monitor will be rigged up again as they have stopped walks up the spire.

I've been keeping my eyes open, to no avail when passing... anyone know which corner they prefer? Using the side nearest the road as the south face, SE, SW, NW NE? At preferred time of day, early and late perhaps? I was near the Uni 53 degrees (Fylde Road) this afternoon and a pair of something were high up in the distance above the spire, but could have been pigeons! Had a nosey on way past later but no joy... 'lurv, lurv will tear us apart, agaain'... sorry.
g

Spent a few hours at Brockholes Wetland this afternoon in the sun.

No 1 Pit
3 Med Gull amongst the Black headed though I couldn't pick them out.
1 Redshank, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 2 White Wagtail, Oysteratcher & Lapwings in good numbers, 2 Teal, 1 Skylark.

Had a look over at the main pool the only thing of interest was a Barnacle Goose and 3 Little Ringed Plover.

Derek

Brockholes saturday saw the med gulls a lifer for me ,digiscoped them thus a naff image.Also think i met derek g .........i was the one who pointed out the white wagtails(hope they were!)

Attachments

• DSCF5720.JPG
    DSCF5720.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 49
Brockholes saturday saw the med gulls a lifer for me ,digiscoped them thus a naff image.Also think i met derek g .........i was the one who pointed out the white wagtails(hope they were!)

Yes that was me, nice to have met you. Will look out for you when I'm down there again and thanks for the White Wagtails.

I did pop down for an hour again this afternoon but not much to report as there were several scrambling bikes terrorising the area!! Police were called but didn't turn up, at least not before I left.

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back