Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 12th August 2006, 20:21   #1
tommysmommy

Bat sleeping in patio umbrella

I have a patio umbrella most of the time closed up due to the wind on my deck. Yesterday the cat jumped up on the table which he never does, and I noticed droppings under umbrella. Curious, began to crank it open and there was a mouse - NO not a mouse! - a bat hanging onto the inside of the umbrella about 1/2 way up and we woke it up! I quickly cranked the umbrella closed again. A recent news report had a rabid bat handled by a family in northern Colorado and they are all undergoing shots now. I don't want to be paranoid and assume every bat has rabies - I just don't want it inside my umbrella! Short of taking the umbrella down (after dusk when it has gone off to eat mosquitos) what can I do?
Old Saturday 12th August 2006, 20:24   #2
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

I'm kind of green with envy on one hand but I do understand your caution on the other.

Not sure what to tell you in this case. Perhaps someone with some bat knowledge will have some suggestions.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 12th August 2006, 20:59   #3
tommysmommy

Wait a minute (I thought as I was typing) I've seen that poop before! On top of the outside spigot underneath the deck! So I ran downstairs to the spigot, looked up, and by golly, there was a bat sleeping between the deck support and the brick of the house! Well, now, we have a population, don't we? This one I don't mind. The other one has to find a new home though. By the way I took pictures of the downstairs bat. How do I put that in here?
Old Saturday 12th August 2006, 21:05   #4
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

LOL, well I'd like to see a pic of the poop too

You will have to click on either "edit" in your original post or click on "advanced" at the bottom. Just below the text box will be a button for "manage attachments" click on this and then find the photo in your computer, let it upload and then click "close window" then "submit" Remember though that photos cannot be any larger than 800x800 and 200kbs

Comes right back at ya
Old Saturday 12th August 2006, 22:57   #5
tommysmommy

Here's the little guy! So what is he? Can't be more than a couple inches big as the space he's in is about 8" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0627.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	54894  
Old Sunday 13th August 2006, 01:44   #6
birdpotter

Pretty cool, if you ask me, but I understand the trepidation of having one in an object you might be sitting under.
I can only suggest a bathouse. Not a bath-house, a bat-house.
They are made of wood, very thin and you put them relatively high.
Places that sell bird seed and/or other types of feed generally have them.

Best of luck and remember, just don't handle it!!

Elizabeth
BF Supporter 2005
Old Sunday 13th August 2006, 02:19   #7
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

That is a very cool shot of the bat. No idea as to what bat it is though.

Comes right back at ya
Old Sunday 13th August 2006, 19:59   #8
tommysmommy

Solved the problem of the umbrella. I just decided to open it and make it an inhospitable bed. Determined where bat was from copious droppings, stayed on other side of umbrella, once fully open, it hung by one toenail for a moment and flew out. Landed next to deck rail which it conked into. Stayed there for 5 minutes gathering its wits, and flew off to a tree. Washed off patio table, swept away droppings, now I'm going to have lunch on my deck!
BTW, I assume it was the same bat UNDER the deck yesterday because the wind was blowing so hard it was making the umbrella shake and dance, even closed, and the poor thing probably couldn't get a decent day's sleep.
Old Sunday 13th August 2006, 20:15   #9
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmommy
I have a patio umbrella most of the time closed up due to the wind on my deck. Yesterday the cat jumped up on the table which he never does, and I noticed droppings under umbrella. Curious, began to crank it open and there was a mouse - NO not a mouse! - a bat hanging onto the inside of the umbrella about 1/2 way up and we woke it up! I quickly cranked the umbrella closed again. A recent news report had a rabid bat handled by a family in northern Colorado and they are all undergoing shots now. I don't want to be paranoid and assume every bat has rabies - I just don't want it inside my umbrella! Short of taking the umbrella down (after dusk when it has gone off to eat mosquitos) what can I do?
I think everyone has that fear but, in truth, I think it unfounded. In the UK it's illegal to disturb bats as they are a protected species. I once had a pipistrelle hanging on the back of a curtain - I thought it was a large moth it was so tiny. I have to say that I put gloves on to capture it - same thoughts as you had. Of course, it didn't even try to bite me. What I remember is how silently it flew off - one minute it was there the next, gone - and I hadn't even noticed!

I wonder what the true prevalence of them carrying rabies is - minute, I expect!
Old Monday 14th August 2006, 14:35   #10
tommysmommy

After looking here and there on the net, seems this was just your basic Little Brown Bat. I've really educated myself since finding it a few days ago, and as mosquitos here are now carrying West Nile Virus, I'm glad to know we have bats around to catch them. If they choose to roost between deck and house I have no problem. Sorry to say though, my patio umbrella is off limits to them. After the bat left yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed my deck and sat under umbrella for lunch and a bit of knitting. We're also having company this weekend to use the deck and for goodness sake, I know they'd freak at seeing a bat!
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:27   #11
tommysmommy

My little bat friend is back - this time he was in one of the outer folds of the umbrella. When I opened it up, I got this shot of him. Can you tell I'm not freaked out about it anymore?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0634.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	55334  
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 16:01   #12
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmommy
We're also having company this weekend to use the deck and for goodness sake, I know they'd freak at seeing a bat!
Ah! But this is your chance to educate

Comes right back at ya
Old Thursday 1st March 2007, 13:35   #13
Apodemus

Ah! But this is your chance to educate

Absolutely!! Find out a few bat facts and stun your friends. Make them as jealous as I am.

Start by telling them that bats are more closely related to humans than they are to mice. Thats a good start.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: