Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:57   #101
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Not been out as much of late due to extra work at the moment, rather cold too here for sketching. Winter birding tough at the moment, not a lot around. Rough Legged Buzzard was a treat though. Dipper influx from the north after the snow, three birds present at Tyresta slott, managed a few quick sketches in between warming my hand on a chemical stick!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	72391  Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	72392  Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	72393  Click image for larger version

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	72394  Click image for larger version

Name:	115.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	72395  

buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:23   #102
timwootton
Registered User
 
timwootton's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orkney
Posts: 8,657
You get such tremendous character into your drawings. Simply superb. Wonderful, sensitive use of the 'smudge' to mould the dipper's breast (there's that 'Artist's Thumb' we once saw!) - really complete little drawing, excellent. Crikey, it's just occured to me, where's the biro? (has the ink frozen in the pen?). And Alan - is this chemical stick thingy legal ?
timwootton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:32   #103
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
You get such tremendous character into your drawings. Simply superb. Wonderful, sensitive use of the 'smudge' to mould the dipper's breast (there's that 'Artist's Thumb' we once saw!) - really complete little drawing, excellent. Crikey, it's just occured to me, where's the biro? (has the ink frozen in the pen?). And Alan - is this chemical stick thingy legal ?
Never tried to ingest it, worried that if I do my observations might come into question !

And yes, you guessed it, cheap biro is not good at all in sub zero! The line tends to break a lot! Have to get me something a bit more technologically advanced...or add antifreeze to the ink!!
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th February 2007, 14:52   #104
Woody
Registered User
 
Woody's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 4,688
More ace sketches Alan.

I'm finding this thread highly inspirational so thanks for being part of helping me to break out from my 'partial blockage' which I seem to have had all through 2006.

Woody
Woody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th February 2007, 03:56   #105
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
More ace sketches Alan.

I'm finding this thread highly inspirational so thanks for being part of helping me to break out from my 'partial blockage' which I seem to have had all through 2006.

Woody

At least its only partial!! Ha Ha he laughed. This whole forum is, I think, inspiring everyone with a notion to get some work done! In my case I had not painted for two years but never stopped field sketching. I think its important for artists to rub off each other, cybernettically speaking of course!...
Think this forum could be an instigator of a bit of art at all levels, from beginers upwards, which is great, been a real inspiration to me just to know you lot are out there!!
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th February 2007, 08:04   #106
timwootton
Registered User
 
timwootton's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orkney
Posts: 8,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
At least its only partial!! Ha Ha he laughed. This whole forum is, I think, inspiring everyone with a notion to get some work done! In my case I had not painted for two years but never stopped field sketching. I think its important for artists to rub off each other, cybernettically speaking of course!...
Think this forum could be an instigator of a bit of art at all levels, from beginers upwards, which is great, been a real inspiration to me just to know you lot are out there!!
Here here!
timwootton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th February 2007, 09:08   #107
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet
 
Vectis Birder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sandown, Isle of Wight
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
At least its only partial!! Ha Ha he laughed. This whole forum is, I think, inspiring everyone with a notion to get some work done! In my case I had not painted for two years but never stopped field sketching. I think its important for artists to rub off each other, cybernettically speaking of course!...
Think this forum could be an instigator of a bit of art at all levels, from beginers upwards, which is great, been a real inspiration to me just to know you lot are out there!!
Absolutely! And it's a reason I have been inspired to do more sketching (i.e. get back into it more like).
__________________
New blog
Vectis Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 17:24   #108
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Syncronized Sketchathon in May Anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Birder
Absolutely! And it's a reason I have been inspired to do more sketching (i.e. get back into it more like).
Was thinking last night as I was looking at the calender for the year coming with a mind to a weeks birding here and there...

Im going to take a week, perhaps the first week of May off and spend it on one of the islands here in Stockholm and sketch intensively, whatever crosses my path. Should be a great selection of migrants and returning breeders. What I was thinking was wouldnt it be great if others were doing the same thing elsewhere at the same time and we could all return at the end of the week and share our work here..
I do realize that not everyone can just take off for a week, but even to get out for a day or two at a nearby location in May. We might even turn up something good in the process...
Anyone biting on this one....??Why Not
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 18:00   #109
PWG
Registered User
 
PWG's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Posts: 325
Like VB this and other current threads have inspired me to pick up the pencil again. With a suggestion like yours and the fact I have two weeks off in early May the idea certainly appeals and gives me something to aim for. I better get practising, else there won't be much worth posting though.
__________________
Paul.

PWG is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th February 2007, 18:35   #110
peter mathios
Registered User
 
peter mathios's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Not been out as much of late due to extra work at the moment, rather cold too here for sketching. Winter birding tough at the moment, not a lot around. Rough Legged Buzzard was a treat though. Dipper influx from the north after the snow, three birds present at Tyresta slott, managed a few quick sketches in between warming my hand on a chemical stick!!
Sounds fun! I really like the sketches. I have been inpired by the amount of field sketching that takes place by the artist's in this forum. Although I have always done some, I have started doing more. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
www.mathiosstudios.net
peter mathios is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 19:51   #111
Judi2
Registered User
 
Judi2's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mathios
Sounds fun! I really like the sketches. I have been inpired by the amount of field sketching that takes place by the artist's in this forum. Although I have always done some, I have started doing more. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
www.mathiosstudios.net
Wow! Peter, just had a look at your web site......Great work..!! Makes me want to get the paints out again...almost :-) When PS came out and Painter, I found it so easy to "take out the supplies"........ was wondering....did you ever do anything in Painter..or Photoshop......Here is a quick one done in Photoshop....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Beyeath My Wings.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	72739  
Judi2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th February 2007, 20:11   #112
ed keeble
Registered User
 
ed keeble's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: suffolk
Posts: 3,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Was thinking last night as I was looking at the calender for the year coming with a mind to a weeks birding here and there...

Im going to take a week, perhaps the first week of May off and spend it on one of the islands here in Stockholm and sketch intensively, whatever crosses my path. Should be a great selection of migrants and returning breeders. What I was thinking was wouldnt it be great if others were doing the same thing elsewhere at the same time and we could all return at the end of the week and share our work here..
I do realize that not everyone can just take off for a week, but even to get out for a day or two at a nearby location in May. We might even turn up something good in the process...
Anyone biting on this one....??Why Not
Do keep prompting on this..I've really enjoyed being nudged along by this forum into doing some spontaneous stuff over the last few months after simply years (decades) of being too plain lazy

I've just cancelled a couple of days in Evros/Bulgaria (winter not cold enough) so just might be out and about for a couple of days in May..
__________________
Ed K
ed keeble is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 13:31   #113
timwootton
Registered User
 
timwootton's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orkney
Posts: 8,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble
Do keep prompting on this..I've really enjoyed being nudged along by this forum into doing some spontaneous stuff over the last few months after simply years (decades) of being too plain lazy

I've just cancelled a couple of days in Evros/Bulgaria (winter not cold enough) so just might be out and about for a couple of days in May..
Hi Alan - as Ed says, keep prompting. I think it's potentially a really wonderful idea - but if I may make a suggestion; I think you need to start a new thread with the title you've used. Sketchathon or something. That way folk can follow the theme without detracting from your sketchbook (just my opinion).
timwootton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 15:52   #114
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Out at Tyresta Slott today, birding quiet, though was one of those rare days here when it is mild with a lot of new snow. Tree Sparrows under a feeder were constant subjects, sketched from close range with my new second hand 7x42 Zeiss BGAT. Really enjoying these!
Magpie done with the scope, may well develop this one, would make a nice winter scene I think. amazing the way the snow balances and stacks up on the finest twigs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atreesparrowssk1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	73988  Click image for larger version

Name:	atree sparrow sk1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	73989  Click image for larger version

Name:	atree sparrow sk2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	73990  Click image for larger version

Name:	amagpiesk1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	73991  
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 16:55   #115
ARTHUR BISHOP
Registered User
 
ARTHUR BISHOP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WEYBOURNE, NORFOLK
Posts: 3,925
nice sketches , the Magpie would make a nice picture
__________________
Visit my Gallery
ARTHUR BISHOP is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 16:55   #116
timwootton
Registered User
 
timwootton's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orkney
Posts: 8,657
Beautiful portraits of tree sparrow - really quite unfair that you make drawings like this (also, are you left-handed by any chance, Alan?). The magpie is a dead cert for a finished painting - if I were you, I'd get out a piece of board or tinted card and make a colour sketch now, whilst the observation and this drawing are still so fresh in the mind. You could almost simply add body colour to this one - it would soon be a 'finished' piece.
Another excellent post.
Ps - looks like the new optics have come up trumps - always a little bit inspiring to use new stuff, isn't it.
timwootton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 17:04   #117
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Have been left handed all my life Tim

Thanks for the kind comments and good advice. Have no tinted card here to hand though I do have a rather nice sized canvas here staring at me with a rather blank look, if you know what I mean! Perhaps I should indeed get the acrylics out and sort that out....
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 17:18   #118
Woody
Registered User
 
Woody's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 4,688
Got to agree with Tim and Arthur-Excellent sketches of the sparras and that maggie is just begging to be worked up into studio painting. More inspiration thanks!

Woody
Woody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th February 2007, 18:49   #119
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Unexpected bonus today, Siskin feeding in trees from girlfriends apartment window, luxury fieldsketching!! Birds stayed for about 45 mins in total...

Magpie painting is a go, started the background tones yesterday evening, will post when done...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aasiskinssk1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	74104  Click image for larger version

Name:	aasiskinsk2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	74105  
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 00:07   #120
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Painting progress...

Have worked on both of these today. Blackbird jpeg colour is off but you will get the general gist. magpie at very early stages, long way to go yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a Magpiepa.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	74246  Click image for larger version

Name:	aablackbirdpa.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	74247  
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 03:18   #121
Judi2
Registered User
 
Judi2's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Have worked on both of these today. Blackbird jpeg colour is off but you will get the general gist. magpie at very early stages, long way to go yet...
Both of these are fantastic.!! Great job!!
Judi2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 14:25   #122
ARTHUR BISHOP
Registered User
 
ARTHUR BISHOP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WEYBOURNE, NORFOLK
Posts: 3,925
like the sisks and looking forward to seeing maggy and the blackbird develope
__________________
Visit my Gallery

Last edited by ARTHUR BISHOP : Friday 2nd March 2007 at 14:27.
ARTHUR BISHOP is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 20:05   #123
peter mathios
Registered User
 
peter mathios's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 767
Great sketches!! Keep 'em coming!
www.mathiosstudios.net
peter mathios is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 21:15   #124
buzzard12
Registered User
 
buzzard12's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sweden
Posts: 2,971
Well, apart from a few minor finishing touches this one is finally almost complete. Any observations, suggestions or critiques most welcome. Going to sit back for an hour with a glass of Cote de Rhone!
For interest have added a photo of the working sketch for the piece, now a bit crumpled, gives an idea of what I work off...
Sorry the photos are not great, due to the artificial light the colour is yellow cast and tha liquitex in the acrylic in the actual blackbird is picking up the flash. Will post this in the gallery and here when I get a good photo in natural light...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ablackbirdworkingsketch.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	74328  Click image for larger version

Name:	afinblackbirdpa.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	74329  Click image for larger version

Name:	ablackbird detail.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	74330  
buzzard12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 21:51   #125
ARTHUR BISHOP
Registered User
 
ARTHUR BISHOP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WEYBOURNE, NORFOLK
Posts: 3,925
he looks puffed up and content sat there
__________________
Visit my Gallery
ARTHUR BISHOP is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of scope do you all use for sketching? nightheron28 Wildlife Art 11 Monday 2nd October 2006 10:05
Sketchbook pages:) Mauri Wildlife Art 15 Monday 16th January 2006 20:56

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.23702002 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:03.