Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2006, 17:56   #1
JRE
Registered Member

Devon Birding

Hi all,
I've decided to take up a suggestion from Gavin Haig and start a Devon birding patch thread. If you've been out and about in Devon today, or have just heard of something good turning up down here, please post.
Also please look at Gavin's excellent thread Backwater Birding- Seaton, Devon.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2006, 19:33   #2
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Been to Fremington Pill today. Redshank numbers are building up well also a couple of Greenshank, a Grey Heron and two Little Egrets plus the usual gulls. Watched the Grey Heron trying to down an eel that it had caught, after struggling for a few minutes it gave up and flew off.
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 26th September 2006, 20:59   #3
Tav94

West Charleston Devon

Had a few hours at West Charleston Marsh saw 6 Grey Plover 7 Greenshank 29 Little Egret 1 Water Rail and a Kingfisher.On the way back had 2 Spotted Flycatchers and a Blackcap on the sewer beds.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2006, 21:38   #4
da2m

hi all
haven't posted for ages so i thought i'd add this. just started going down to the river teign, by the passage house inn, after work. pretty quiet at the mo but have hi hopes for the site. i would usally go the the warren but this is birding made easy, 1 min off the a380 on the way home from work. anyway not much there a hand full of curlew, a poor lapwing all on it's own. common sand and loads of egrets and black heads. i could hear a reed bunting calling in the reeds of all places! i let you know if any thing pops up. i am a bit gutted cos i missed the pec sand 2 weeks ago.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2006, 22:21   #5
Steve Waite
What you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by da2m
hi all
haven't posted for ages so i thought i'd add this. just started going down to the river teign, by the passage house inn, after work. pretty quiet at the mo but have hi hopes for the site. i would usally go the the warren but this is birding made easy, 1 min off the a380 on the way home from work. anyway not much there a hand full of curlew, a poor lapwing all on it's own. common sand and loads of egrets and black heads. i could hear a reed bunting calling in the reeds of all places! i let you know if any thing pops up. i am a bit gutted cos i missed the pec sand 2 weeks ago.
You've got yourself a great little patch there. Been to it a few times and it just looks SOOOO good! I understand viewing it can be a bit of a prob though. Anyway, keep watching, and good luck.......
BF Supporter 2007
Old Wednesday 27th September 2006, 12:15   #6
soareyes

devon birding

hi devon birders

thanks for the mail Mike - seems a good idea. As the name suggests local patch is East Soar/Bolt Head, Salcombe also cover the Estuary after work etc.. again! after many years absent with kids, mortgage, house renovations.

still tripping over the Osprey & various Med Gull's on K/bridge Est.

didn't get to the Start Pt Hoopoe Perry!
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 20:04   #7
JRE
Registered Member

OK, I'm off to Hope's Nose for a seawatch tommorow, weather looks good, HEAVY rain, and a howling southerly! I'll post when I get back, hopefully having had 3 skua species and 5 shearwaters!
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 20:11   #8
Cudyll Bach

Watch out for Kittwakes!
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 20:20   #9
JRE
Registered Member

No need to bring that up Iain!
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 20:27   #10
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by soareyes
hi devon birders

thanks for the mail Mike - seems a good idea. As the name suggests local patch is East Soar/Bolt Head, Salcombe also cover the Estuary after work etc.. again! after many years absent with kids, mortgage, house renovations.

still tripping over the Osprey & various Med Gull's on K/bridge Est.

didn't get to the Start Pt Hoopoe Perry!

Hi Soareyes, I see this is your first post so may I extend a warm welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm pleased to see you have already made yourself at home

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 22:20   #11
Ppedro

Hello Al,
must make a change for you tripping over Med Gulls instead of Laughing Gulls

Perry

Last edited by Ppedro : Friday 29th September 2006 at 22:27.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 08:46   #12
JRE
Registered Member

45 Meadow Pipits south over the garden this morning. Also Grey Wag, Bullfinch, great views of a Green Woody, Sparrowhawk, GS Woody, 14 Goldfinches, and a singing Blackbird.

Last edited by JRE : Saturday 30th September 2006 at 15:54.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 10:19   #13
devon.birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
33 Meadow Pipits south over the garden this morning. Also Grey Wag, Bullfinch, great views of a Green Woody, Sparrowhawk, GS Woody, 14 Goldfinches, and a singing Blackbird.
I don't know about other BF Members but most years I find there is a relatively common bird that I find difficult to see in Devon. Last year it was Kestrel and this year it is Green Woodpecker. Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 11:49   #14
Tav94

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon.birder
I don't know about other BF Members but most years I find there is a relatively common bird that I find difficult to see in Devon. Last year it was Kestrel and this year it is Green Woodpecker. Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger
Hi there i see them in a wood at Whitleigh in Plymouth or on the grass just next to the woods not uncommon to see two or three at a time when they are on the grass fields eating the ants.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 12:31   #15
Gerry Hooper
Certified User

Did my usual bike ride to the Turf this morning.....loads of Godwit ( both sorts) and good numbers of other waders... no Osprey though.
Plenty of heavy rain, very refreshing on a bike!
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 13:00   #16
Steve Waite
What you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon.birder
Most years I see Green Woodpecker before the end of January and they are regular in my garden. Whilst I have seen several Green Woodies this year, mainly in Somerset, I am still waiting for a "Devon tick". Still there is three months to go so has anybody seen one recently in the County?. Roger
Plenty about the Axe, Roger. They just love the tramline!!!
BF Supporter 2007
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 13:26   #17
devon.birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Waite
Plenty about the Axe, Roger. They just love the tramline!!!
Thanks Steve. Due to the Seaton Birders I must have been down to the Seaton area at least a dozen times this year but still haven't seen one. I am bound to see one before the end of the year though, aren't I?. Roger
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 13:46   #18
Mark

got a phone call today saying that there was a Red Kite at around 12.15 lingering on the marldon-berry pomeroy road (on the outskirts of paignton) between the TV masts and Barton Pines...i couldn't unfortunately find it however from 12.25 onwards but could still well be in the area. ...
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 15:41   #19
JRE
Registered Member

What???? My patch is 5 minutes away! Panic!!! Is it still around?
Oh yeah, Roger, I see Green Woodpeckers almost every day on my patch, really common.
Rather dull morning at Hope's Nose. Couldn't find somewhere I could sit and use a scope, so had to stand. 15 Gannets, 2 Razorbills, 5 Guillemots, 15 Shags, and um... nothing else!
Stover was a bit better, Marsh Tit, 9 GC Grebes, 5 Pochard. Got some great pics of young swans.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 16:26   #20
JRE
Registered Member

Just out of interest, what's the highest day total any of you have managed in Devon? Mine's 63, Bowling Green Marsh.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 16:28   #21
kmonty1950

Just had a look around Berry Pomeroy, but no sign of the Kite. Saw one reported yesterday over the A380 at Hamelin Way, so must still be around.

Good luck!

Ken.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 16:31   #22
JRE
Registered Member

Do you think it'll drift a mile inland? If so, it'll reach my patch. Better have a look soon.
Old Saturday 30th September 2006, 17:25   #23
Tav94

Quick look on the hoe this afternoon Five Meds and a couple of Sandwich Terns and a Peregrine giving the gulls on Drakes island a hard time.
Old Sunday 1st October 2006, 10:48   #24
JRE
Registered Member

Just had a torrential rainstorm. Over now, but wow, was it strong! The westerlies are blowing hard, might have a quick look round my patch later, hoping for a Bobolink! . 3 Swallows hurried past as I opened the curtains this morning. Chiffchaff in full song in the garden.
Old Sunday 1st October 2006, 12:33   #25
kmonty1950

Had my usual brief stop at Exminster Marsh on my way home from work this morning, the recent rains have meant there is standing water near to the anglers' car park again after many weeks of nothing but grass. Better late than never, we've still got time to give the Seaton lads a run for their money!

Mostly Black-headed gulls around this pool with 4 Curlew and 9 Black-tailed godwit. A Little Egret flew over, with 2 more feeding in the fields. A sunny interlude after this morning's thunderstorm persuaded me to stroll down as far as the lagoon, though it's distant and requires a scope to watch it effectively, there's often something of interest on there. The small pools close to the tow-path held the usual Teal and Mallards but no waders today.

The Lagoon had another large flock of Black-headed gulls, with 1 Common Gull and a Small number of Herring Gulls. There were loads of Coots and around the edges 30 or 40 Widgeon fed unobtrusively. Nothing else of note, but one or two pairs of Shoveler. Overhead, a Sparrowhawk flashed by, hotly persued by one of the many local Carrion Crows!

Carrying on home, I took a detour through Powderham Park and after a quick look at the lake, which held nothing but a large flock of Canada Geese and 50 or so Mallard, stopped where the stream goes under the road into the estuary.

Along the edge of the stream were two or three flocks of Redshank, with perhaps 15 or 20 Greenshank snoozing beside them. A dozen or so Little Egrets peered out from the grass beside the stream. A few Teal roosted along the banks with the waders.

Arrived home, ready for breakfast, only to find that the kids have eaten all the bacon. I'm off out birding again!

Ken
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: