Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 2nd October 2006, 10:20   #1
timwootton

From 2006 sketchbook

From 2006 sketchbook (the S-eO sketch is the original drawing for the watercolour posted in Gallery).

www.tim-wootton.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L-t D.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	60183  Click image for larger version

Name:	Peregrine.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	60184  Click image for larger version

Name:	S-eO.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	60185  Click image for larger version

Name:	sheld.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	60186  
Old Monday 2nd October 2006, 10:30   #2
colonelboris
Right way up again

Very nice - I'm some way behind in field sketches like that!

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd October 2006, 15:23   #3
Gill Osborne

VERY nice

Like ColonelBoris, I too am a wee bit behind that level LOL Persevering though....they are starting to actually LOOK like birds now

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 18:38   #4
jomo

Great stuff! You've really captured the stare of the owl here -- and it came through very well in the finished painting. Excellent work.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 08:06   #5
Woody

Fabulous work Tim. You obviously have the enviable ability to see the simple shapes and transfer that to the page. I think the long tailed duck illustrates that perfectly.

Woody
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 11:49   #6
buzzard12

Lovely, lovely work from what must be a fabulous location.

Thanks for posting...
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 12:28   #7
Mabel
Dance the ghost with me

All are fantastic-kudos!

Old Wednesday 18th October 2006, 22:44   #8
timwootton

Last Of The Summer? (Whine, whine, whine)

We've had an attrocious couple of days here, out on 'the edge' and, glancing through last week's entries in my sketchbook, could barely believe I was on the bayside with 'scope, dogs 'n' sketchbook - getting a tan! Memories of a rapidly-diminishing summer . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waders1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	61622  Click image for larger version

Name:	waders2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	61623  Click image for larger version

Name:	geese.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	61624  
Old Thursday 19th October 2006, 17:10   #9
buzzard12

Great work. I really like quickly drawn fieldwork, has a real edge, tends to capture movement so well. Love the gull and geese...Keep the posts coming Tim...
Old Friday 27th October 2006, 20:52   #10
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Great sketches Tim, and the sort of quality I aspire to. I am doing a lot more sketching (from life) than before and find I am improving all the time and I'm pretty good at bird shapes. However, the devil (as they say) is in the detail and I am not so good at putting the 'meat on the bones' (so to speak).
However, I spend 32 hours a week at work, so I can't do as much as I'd like, getting out twice a week at most, if I'm lucky. How often do you manage to get out sketching?

Btw, Tim, was it you featured in an edition of Birds Illustrated back in the 90's, as part of a bird race team?

Cheers
VB
Old Saturday 28th October 2006, 14:25   #11
timwootton

Cheers VB - glad you like the work. If you are getting out drawing twice a week, you are probably doing more than me. I get out as often as I can, a lot of it is weather dependent, though - and what the kids are up to etc. Recently, much of my time has been spent working on 'finished' works for my gallery and doing illustration and design work (my 'proper-job').
With regard to your fieldwork, getting bird shapes right is, probably, the hardest part - so if you've cracked that, then the rest can come naturally. Don't, please, get hung-up on detail. A field sketch should (in my humble opinion) be about the bird alive, doing what it does. Of course, if you get chance to study specimens more closely (resting gulls and waders, perhaps) then once again, look for the larger shapes within the 'outline' shapes - neck structure, coverts etc (look at Eric Ennion's - The Living Birds Of . . ). But perhaps as important - post some sketches here on BirdForum - there are some very experienced and talented artists (amateur and professional!) who view the site, and I for one, look forward to seeing (and commenting on ) anyone's work.
Look forward to seeing some - very soon?

Also - yes my work was featured in BirdsIllustrated (1993 - I think) - I did the sponsored birdwatch and then went on to paint all the species I'd seen that day (113) and sold the work for the Spanish Steppes Appeal. It was exhausting but great fun. (I used to write and illustrate stuff for Birds Illustrated and Bird Watching when I was younger - very good publications.) Funny how you remember certain things, isn't it.

Anyway, cheers VB and lets see some drawings, eh? - Tim
Old Saturday 28th October 2006, 20:59   #12
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Thanks Tim. Anyway, I've done as you asked and you can see the results here:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....349#post715349

Funny you should mention The Living Birds of Eric Ennion as I bought a copy second hand from Amazon last week and it really is an inspiring book.

Last edited by Vectis Birder : Saturday 28th October 2006 at 21:36. Reason: Forgot to add...
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 14:20   #13
psilo

Absolutely wonderful!! you havea g reat eye for detail as well as a great talent. I wouldnt have the patience to sit there in the open and sketch, mainly because im more of a camera person. It takes amazing talent to capture it so well in the field, well done.

http://www.psiloswildlifephotography.co.uk

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 23:45   #14
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilo
Absolutely wonderful!! you havea g reat eye for detail as well as a great talent. I wouldnt have the patience to sit there in the open and sketch, mainly because im more of a camera person. It takes amazing talent to capture it so well in the field, well done.
Thanks for the encouragement, Psilo. It's funny you should think it takes great patience to sketch in the outdoors - I've seen your photography and I'm sure you must spend ages on fieldcraft to get the images you do! - they're wonderful!!!
Old Thursday 9th November 2006, 00:51   #15
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Really like the long tailed duck watercolour from your first post,

The reflection is perfectly executed.

Matt

Old Thursday 9th November 2006, 00:56   #16
tizziec

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
From 2006 sketchbook (the S-eO sketch is the original drawing for the watercolour posted in Gallery).

www.tim-wootton.com

Beautiful scetches. Mine look like my five year old drew them LOL (actually I DO usually steal her pencils to do it)
Old Thursday 9th November 2006, 16:59   #17
timwootton

Autumn came and went in 11 hours this year. The winds started before dawn - gaining momentum in a frightening howl. I walk with my hands stuffed deep into my pockets to prevent my arms being ripped off at the shoulders. By the time the wind subsided, my willows and sycamores were stripped of all foliage, standing starkly against the grey tones of sea and sky. Of course, after the winds have died, the fallout is apparent - warblers are everywhere, but they're tired.
The cat brought a male blackcap in - I was too late, he died in my hand with a trembling flutter. I drew him for reference.
The chiffchaff is from far away east, much paler and greyer than the ones I know from Yorkshire.
the willow warbler came a day later (as if by comparison with its close cousin).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blackcap.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	63477  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiffchaff.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	63478  Click image for larger version

Name:	WillowWarbler.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	63479  
Old Thursday 9th November 2006, 23:47   #18
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizziec
Beautiful scetches. Mine look like my five year old drew them LOL (actually I DO usually steal her pencils to do it)
Hi Tizziec - maybe there's something 'Faustian' going on - your pact with the keeper of the pencils, or something.
Seriously, if your drawings look like they've been done by a 5 year old:
1) that may be a good thing! - my 5 year old produces images I love (as does yours, no doubt),
2) (assuming you wish they didn't look that way) when did you last 'learn' to draw? - If it's been a while - it'll take a while.
3) shouldn't steal - ask nicely!
Just keep doing it - there really is no other way.
!
Old Friday 10th November 2006, 00:06   #19
deborah4

Quote:
Autumn came and went in 11 hours this year. The winds started before dawn - gaining momentum in a frightening howl. I walk with my hands stuffed deep into my pockets to prevent my arms being ripped off at the shoulders. By the time the wind subsided, my willows and sycamores were stripped of all foliage, standing starkly against the grey tones of sea and sky. Of course, after the winds have died, the fallout is apparent - warblers are everywhere, but they're tired.
The cat brought a male blackcap in - I was too late, he died in my hand with a trembling flutter. I drew him for reference.
The chiffchaff is from far away east, much paler and greyer than the ones I know from Yorkshire.
the willow warbler came a day later (as if by comparison with its close cousin).

Stunning sketches, Tim - sounds like the weather's turned a bit up there - glad I didn't hang around!

Old Monday 13th November 2006, 21:16   #20
timwootton

The weather has been really poor the past several days, strong winds and very wet. A stranger appeared on the 8th following some particularly rough stuff from the NE. We don't get many brent geese in Orkney (about 3 records a year - I can hear you lot in Northumberland laughing!), so to see one is nice, paticularly on 'my patch' - ie the front beach. As with all these windblown travellers though, I have mixed feelings. I hope the bird doesn't hang around too long and forget where they're supposed to be - with their own kind. At least there's eel grass on the mud.

This is a studio sketch from 3 days' drawings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brent.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	63871  
Old Monday 13th November 2006, 21:24   #21
buzzard12

Superb stuff Tim...

I particularily admire the way you have handled the light and in particular the light on the breast. You can only get that from field observation. Should make a beautiful oil or acrylic work if taken to the next level, so to speak..

This studio study will take some beating though in my opinion, I tend to find something in preliminary studies very magical. Perhaps it is that the scene is so fresh in the mind...

Thanks for posting...
Old Tuesday 14th November 2006, 10:27   #22
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Fantastic, Tim. Like the Buzzard, I like the way you have shown the light in the pic.
Old Sunday 19th November 2006, 20:07   #23
timwootton

Managed to get a bit of drawing time in today, just prior to lunch. I was looking for Great Northern Diver and it took a bit of time, eventually I found one. Should never go out 'looking' for a particular species - it's the road to despair.
(I've popped a more comprehensive account in 'My Birding Day' forum - if anyone is remotely bothered.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GNDiver1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	64352  Click image for larger version

Name:	GNDiver2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	64353  
Old Sunday 19th November 2006, 21:57   #24
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Should never go out 'looking' for a particular species - it's the road to despair.
I know all too well what you mean. I'm quickly adopting the 'see what I can see' method rather than having targets.
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 08:52   #25
Woody

Smile

More excellent stuff Tim.

I've got to say I envy your location...'popped out to look for a great northern diver' indeed!

Woody
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: