Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 12:52   #26
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
More excellent stuff Tim.

I've got to say I envy your location...'popped out to look for a great northern diver' indeed!

Woody
Sorry Woody, It's not meant to sound blase - but also remember that I haven't seen blue or great tit, any woodpeckers or a magpie for over 3 years!
It's all relative (I was reading MacSwede's latest post and he's on about eagles and capercaillie et al -I was a bit envious, I can tell you).
Cheers for the comments anyway - Tim
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 13:02   #27
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
Sorry Woody, It's not meant to sound blase - but also remember that I haven't seen blue or great tit, any woodpeckers or a magpie for over 3 years!
It's all relative (I was reading MacSwede's latest post and he's on about eagles and capercaillie et al -I was a bit envious, I can tell you).
Cheers for the comments anyway - Tim
You're right of course. Down here in Kent marsh harriers are so regular I'd be surprised if I didn't see them every outing, likewise the little egrets. Other regulars include barn owl, peregrine and merlin on the Isle of Sheppey. I know quite a lot of people would give their eye-teeth for just a glimpse of one of them.

Cheers and keep the artwork coming.

Woody
Old Wednesday 22nd November 2006, 15:57   #28
Bob in SF

Great art!

Wonderful tone and touch - particularly enjoy the watercolor work. - Bob
Old Wednesday 22nd November 2006, 18:32   #29
timwootton

Taken advantage of an unexpected but very welcome break in the weather. Bright sun and distinctly warm this morning so off to find some more divers (if any around). A razorbill and a guillemot diving for stuff little more than 5 yards offshore and, in the next bay at Churchill Barrier No. 3, black-throated diver. Warm enough to get out of the van (landrover in garage having heater fixed - hopefully!) and set up shoreside. This is the first time I've had chance to use my new gear in earnest, and I was delighted with the optical quality - of course the weather certainly helps!
Managed to draw in relative comfort for about an hour or so - the attached is a studio sheet directly from the field sketches. It's really nice to follow one species, or a group of similar species, and to try to really get to know them. This time of year the divers have varying degrees of remnant summer plumage and it's possible to id individuals amongst a group of birds, using the amount of dark on the face and neck - and the various patterns it produces, as id features.
Here are two birds, an adult and a first winter, which were in a loose flock of five birds. They were enjoying the break in the weather conditions, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-throat.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	64582  
Old Wednesday 22nd November 2006, 20:08   #30
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Some very nice watercolours there tim,

Never ceases to amaze me how well the differing postures and movement of birds and other animals are so seemingly easily captured by those with ''the talent''

Despite being able to draw perfectly well in three dimensions (buildings etc),
my birdy sketches still have yet to progress beyond stiff,lifeless profiles!

To portray a cloud,tree or bird with correct proportion and in three dimensions on a flat piece of paper is beyond me,yet looks so effortless
when executed by the right artist.

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 08:24   #31
Woody

Lovely new work Tim. You found your divers then!

On sunday I found my merlin, didn't see any divers though....

Woody
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 09:54   #32
timwootton

Quote:
Lovely new work Tim. You found your divers then!

On sunday I found my merlin, didn't see any divers though....

Woody
You getting any time to draw, Woody? I'd like to see some more of your work sometime. Did you follow the post about the merlin (I think it was a gallery photo from the US - id as 'some kind of hawk') - I found the discussion really interesting. I didn't know they had such a huge range.
See any Marshys?
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 10:03   #33
timwootton

Hi Matt - glad you like my work. With regard to your own efforts, I strongly believe if you can make lines and marks - then you will be able to produce images. Just a question: How many times do you think you've been out trying to draw birds, say in the past year? I only ask because it really is a discipline you simply have to practice and practice. If I haven't drawn for sometime, say 2-3 weeks - it takes quite a while to get my confidence back up. I still struggle daily with how to 'do it'. Also I've been drawing from life for the best part of 30 years now (since a kid, really), but if you look at those artists who can REALLY draw - Lars Jonsson, John Busby - they aren't trying to find time to go out drawing - no, It is their raison d'etre - they probably have to find time to do the other stuff, shopping, kids, and everything else, because DRAWING gets in the way!
That may be the difference between the lies of me and you - trying to be artists, and those who are simply born that way.
Keep trying - it will happen through effort and application. Good luck.
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 10:10   #34
Woody

Quote:
You getting any time to draw, Woody? I'd like to see some more of your work sometime. Did you follow the post about the merlin (I think it was a gallery photo from the US - id as 'some kind of hawk') - I found the discussion really interesting. I didn't know they had such a huge range.
See any Marshys?
Usual sketching time Tim, early sunday mornings for a couple of hours. Problem is my scanner is kaput and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive.

I've just posted three old paintings in my gallery as it's been a while since I posted any work.

There's almost always marsh harriers around on Sheppey, you tend to get blase about them but it's always worth checking them out just in case they're hen harriers.
I missed the merlin thread but I'll go and have a look for it. I love merlins, they are such dashing little hunters and they just take your breath away when you see them in full out pursuit.

Woody
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 17:17   #35
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Hi Matt - glad you like my work. With regard to your own efforts, I strongly believe if you can make lines and marks - then you will be able to produce images. Just a question: How many times do you think you've been out trying to draw birds, say in the past year? I only ask because it really is a discipline you simply have to practice and practice. If I haven't drawn for sometime, say 2-3 weeks - it takes quite a while to get my confidence back up. I still struggle daily with how to 'do it'. Also I've been drawing from life for the best part of 30 years now (since a kid, really), but if you look at those artists who can REALLY draw - Lars Jonsson, John Busby - they aren't trying to find time to go out drawing - no, It is their raison d'etre - they probably have to find time to do the other stuff, shopping, kids, and everything else, because DRAWING gets in the way!
That may be the difference between the lies of me and you - trying to be artists, and those who are simply born that way.
Keep trying - it will happen through effort and application. Good luck.
I know exactly what you mean, Tim, I'm just the same. Ok, I do not have the distraction of kids but I do have other things that get in the way. I've just had a week of no drawing simply because I've not had the time.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 00:59   #36
timwootton

Hi VB - I've just visited your site - Ilike what you say and how you say it. I think, looking at your work there as a small collection, you have a real basis of skill and insight. You must get out and do it (If it's what you want to do!)
Good luck - put some more stuff up soon.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 14:58   #37
buzzard12

Fantastic work Tim, really have captured the jizz of the species...

You may guess from my avatar that this is among my favourite species, much sought by me in Dublin when I was in my teens and the fascination with them still remains. I notice in your work that your sharp observations have caught one of their peculiar traits, raising the feathers on their lower back/rump. Lovely page of watercolurs.
I spent quite some time observing Black Throats here in Stockholm this summer, in Tyresta national park. Mind blowing birds when in summer plumage. The call is extraordinary too, one of the defining sounds of the swedish birding for me... I have an 18x30" canvas waiting for this species from those observations as a result which I am looking forward to starting on...
Thanks for posting, enjoy the mild weather! Having an exceptionally mild spell here too at the moment which is most welcome!
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 15:22   #38
buzzard12

"I've just posted three old paintings in my gallery as it's been a while since I posted any work."Quote" (Woody)

Stunning work, all of it. Look forward to seeing more, keep it coming!
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 16:56   #39
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Stunning work, all of it. Look forward to seeing more, keep it coming!
Thanks Buzz!

We seem to be getting quite a little sub community for artists going on here, and that can only be a good thing.

Woody
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 17:43   #40
timwootton

Quote:
Thanks Buzz!

We seem to be getting quite a little sub community for artists going on here, and that can only be a good thing.

Woody
More the merrier, I say Woody! Let's see if we can get a few more out of the woodwork, too. Why not start a thread along those lines???? I'll follow you in, Captain.
And thanks Alan - I must confess I'm always a little anxious when posting drawings of birds I'm only starting to get to know (artistically), and your avatar states your position re these birds. They make a beautiful shape when they flex the rump plumage as it also makes the tail point almost vertically downwards. A real change for divers/grebes in that they actually 'finish' - instead of blurring away, if you understand what I mean.

Last edited by timwootton : Friday 24th November 2006 at 17:51.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 20:13   #41
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Thank you very much, Tim, your comments have made my day! It's very much what I'd like to do, beyond dabbling!

Quote:
Hi VB - I've just visited your site - Ilike what you say and how you say it. I think, looking at your work there as a small collection, you have a real basis of skill and insight. You must get out and do it (If it's what you want to do!)
Good luck - put some more stuff up soon.
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 19:12   #42
buzzard12

Quote:
More the merrier, I say Woody! Let's see if we can get a few more out of the woodwork, too. Why not start a thread along those lines???? I'll follow you in, Captain.
And thanks Alan - I must confess I'm always a little anxious when posting drawings of birds I'm only starting to get to know (artistically), and your avatar states your position re these birds. They make a beautiful shape when they flex the rump plumage as it also makes the tail point almost vertically downwards. A real change for divers/grebes in that they actually 'finish' - instead of blurring away, if you understand what I mean.
I wouldn't get too anxious Tim! Your sharp eye is reflected in the artwork and there for all to see...
Have taken a lot of photos of Black Throats this year, have posted a few here for your enjoyment. The plumage gives them remarkably good camoflauge at times, must be hard to see these birds from above as well as the side. Would not imagine they have many natural predators, as far as I know they have a long life span.

With regard to the more the merrier, I say great news. The art forum has a nice buzz about it at the moment and it would be nice if more people posted their work, regardless of status, right across the spectrum from beginners to full time professional artists.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0Btd1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	64793  Click image for larger version

Name:	0btd3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	64794  Click image for larger version

Name:	0btd5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	64795  Click image for larger version

Name:	0btd7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	64796  
Old Monday 27th November 2006, 09:58   #43
Woody

Quote:
See any Marshys?
OK Tim, you've got me started now...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72551

Woody
Old Friday 1st December 2006, 16:00   #44
timwootton

Been cold and windy the past few days (yesterday never got light at all), the divers have been showing really well - close views, and this one in particular has an extraordinary amount of summer plumage remaining - just the hint of grey around the eyes stretching to under the chin. Lovely bird. The same cannot be said for the puffin, unfortunately, cute though it undoubtedly is. I saw the bird whilst trying to sketch GND (it was far too active in a very choppy sea for me to catch enough info to draw) and watched as it made a bee-line for me from open water (well it was actually coming to the pier, not me, but as I was standing on the pier - you know what I mean). It swam almost directly under where I was standing and worked its way towards the jetty where it finally hauled itself ashore to sit and doze. It's either extremely tired or on its last legs. I'll check the area tomorrow - but this bird also retains a lot of its nuptial plumage - the bill horn is hardly reduced at all and has a lot of colour (although its legs are decidedly yellowish).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GND-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	65355  Click image for larger version

Name:	GND-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	65356  Click image for larger version

Name:	Puff-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	65357  Click image for larger version

Name:	Puff-2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	65358  
Old Friday 1st December 2006, 21:32   #45
deborah4

More lovely sketches, Tim. Well done.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 2nd December 2006, 15:49   #46
ed keeble

Quote:
I wouldn't get too anxious Tim! Your sharp eye is reflected in the artwork and there for all to see...
Have taken a lot of photos of Black Throats this year, have posted a few here for your enjoyment. The plumage gives them remarkably good camoflauge at times, must be hard to see these birds from above as well as the side. Would not imagine they have many natural predators, as far as I know they have a long life span.

With regard to the more the merrier, I say great news. The art forum has a nice buzz about it at the moment and it would be nice if more people posted their work, regardless of status, right across the spectrum from beginners to full time professional artists.
You sent me back out to the shed with that posting- this work-in-progress started life as larger diver but I decided rather late in the day that it looked more like a Black-throated. So I'm left with a bill that needs fining down a bit..unfortunately made out of steel rod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0045.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	65410  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	65411  

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd December 2006, 00:31   #47
timwootton

Wow Ed - this is fabulous. I think (sculpturally) you can easily title this r-t diver. As everyone discussed regarding the paint/not paint GND, it's about art - not identification models. This piece has all the liquid flowing lines I, personally, would look for in a r-t d. I'd be interested to hear Buzz's comments.
I really love it.
(Do you sent stuff to the SWLA? - if not, you ought to. Also - contact 'The Land Gallery'. Andrew and Debbie Tyzack - they know their stuff and I'm sure they would like yours!)
PS - I'll send you a prelim sheet for the diver studies next week.
Cheers, Tim.

Last edited by timwootton : Sunday 3rd December 2006 at 00:34.
Old Sunday 3rd December 2006, 17:04   #48
buzzard12

I think it is a fabulous piece of work Ed, really, really fabulous. Think it looks good for Black Throated due to the large feet, dont think you need to lose too much of the bill either, which Im sure you will be glad to hear seeing as it is steel!
Great to see these threads and interactions are inspiring people to go out to sheds and produce works as great as this Ed! Please keep us updated on this piece if you would,,,
Old Sunday 3rd December 2006, 17:18   #49
buzzard12

As always Tim, extremely impressive set of field sketches...

I can see you getting more and more familiar with these birds.(the btd's) The preening bird with outstretched leg is outstanding. Love the head studies.

Puffin drawings are also really well executed. I miss seabirds a lot, not many here Im afraid. Never really have actually sat down and sketched Puffins, usually saw them zipping by on passage a mile or so out!!

(Making an effort to see an elusive Ural Owl tomorrow though north of Stockholm, so there are serious compensations!!)
Old Sunday 3rd December 2006, 20:02   #50
ed keeble

Quote:
I think it is a fabulous piece of work Ed, really, really fabulous. Think it looks good for Black Throated due to the large feet, dont think you need to lose too much of the bill either, which Im sure you will be glad to hear seeing as it is steel!
Great to see these threads and interactions are inspiring people to go out to sheds and produce works as great as this Ed! Please keep us updated on this piece if you would,,,
This one has been gathering dust in the shed for a couple of years whilst I mused on where to take it next- but the above is a strong enough vote for me to blow the dust of it and paint it as a Black-throated. It's not a life-size this time (it measures about about 25cm) so I really ought to be able to crack on with it.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: