Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 6th December 2006, 10:32   #51
timwootton

Divers have been a major area of interest for me recently (as regular readers - if there are any - will know). This black-throated is a studio colour sketch from a drawing posted earlier.
To start to wean myself off these sleek and elegant birds, redshanks pose a totally new and refreshing set of challenges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BTDiver.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	65747  Click image for larger version

Name:	redshank.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	65748  
Old Wednesday 6th December 2006, 13:07   #52
buzzard12

Redshanks are superb Tim. Love the top left bird...

The watercolour is stunning. Love the backlit diver and general tone of the water, its just so very well done...
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 16:39   #53
timwootton

Although I had intended to leave Great northern Divers alone for a while, whilst delivering a piece of design into Kirkwall, about 50 yards (sorry 40-odd metres) offshore was this superb bird. The bay was extremely calm and the opportunity to make some studies was too good to miss. The bird was making regular dives, but not making much lateral movement, so re-focusing wasn't the bind it can be when seawatching (still lost it several times, though!). The bird slowed its activity after catching the dab, and this allowed more detailed study for several minutes. The bird was joined by a whole flottilla of diving stuff - long-tailed ducks, slavonian grebes, shags (of course) and eider. There must have been quite a larder underwater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GND-Echna1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65859  Click image for larger version

Name:	GNDechna-2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	65860  
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 16:47   #54
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

excellent divers, and I love the redshanks, I suppose I'll have to get out and do some sketching this weekend.
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 17:41   #55
buzzard12

Two cracking pages of fieldwork!! Really great stuff there Tim. Thought by now you would be all divered out, so to speak! Mind you, such oppurtunities should not be passed up, not when the results are something like these...

No Ural Owl today on my side, walked way far too! Eternally optimistically have taken a day off tomorrow to give it another go, it will be my third day out of the last five trying to connect with this horribly mobile beast! Have you noticed when you are hunting down a good bird like that you never stop to sketch anything else! Gotta get this one out of my system!
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 19:07   #56
joannec

Tim, I missed this thread earlier, don't know how. I really like the spontaneaity of your work, it is so fresh and immediate. You are obviously very at home in your environment and it shows. I'd love to see your paintings in reality sometime.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 8th December 2006, 10:18   #57
timwootton

Hi Joanne - thank you. If you're ever in Orkney I have a gallery here. I'm also hoping to exhibit at the Birdfair (if not this year then certainly next) - I suppose this would be 'closer to home' for you. Also my website has a few finished pieces on it:
www.tim-wootton.com
Thanks for your support.
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 16:58   #58
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Superb stuff, as ever, Tim. I'll try to get to the Bird Fair in 2007 if I can get the time off and see your work in the flesh.
We have got Great Northern Divers in the Solent at the moment, I went looking for them after work this afternoon, but came up with 'just' four Great Crested Grebes and three Red-breasted Mergansers!
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 17:08   #59
timwootton

Hello VB - 'just grebes and mergs' sounds okay to me - did you get time to sketch? Feel free to post here if you don't want to start a new thread (although I think you ought). Just been back on your blog - very, very good. Particularly like the 'sketching the birds' text and drawings - get some done this weekend (maybe lunch hour if you're working? - don't forget - sparrows are birds, too) and let's have a look, eh?
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 18:13   #60
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Hence 'just' being in quotation marks, Tim. I think they're great birds and the mergs, in particular, made my day being a year tick. I didn't do any sketching as it was pretty freezing by the Solent and I didn't have any gloves with me. Besides, I'd come straight from work and apart from optical aid, I was unprepared (tsk tsk).
I'm off on Sunday and Monday so I'm hoping to get some sketching in then. I've also got a week's holiday coming up immediately prior to Crimbo and am hoping to get quite a bit done then.
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 14:35   #61
timwootton

2006 comes to a close

Had the chance to get in a little bit of fieldwork between Christmas and Hogmannay - the drawings of oystercatcher and swan were made at St. Mary's, Holm as part of a tuition session. It was quite an intense day, but thoroughly enjoyable as I kept working for much longer than I would usually have under similar freezing conditions - hence produced more work (I think I did 8 pages of drawings in total, plus demo., discussion and critique).
Today I took advantage of a beautiful morning and a lull in festivities to wander down the garden to make a few studies of the usual suspects - bar-tailed godwits and knot. They are lovely in the strong, low sunlight.
Ah, well, shortest day has been and gone . . . the year is at an end and so I'm making this last entry in the 2006 sketchbook.
Because it's now time to begin the 2007 sketchbook . . .
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swan.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	67338  Click image for larger version

Name:	OikDrawing.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	67339  Click image for larger version

Name:	teal.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	67340  Click image for larger version

Name:	godwit1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	67341  Click image for larger version

Name:	godwit2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	67342  

Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 15:26   #62
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Fantastic sketches as ever Tim..

If you don't mind me asking,which part of the bird do you start with first?

Mostly I start at the head,often the upper bill area and head and try to get the right ''jizz'',then work my way down the body.Then I'll go back to the bill/head area and work on the lower half/legs etc.

Not having observed artists ''in action'' I've often wondered if there is a
specific part of the bird where artist/field sketchers generaly start from,
rather like working from point A to point B etc?

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 16:56   #63
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Personally, Matt, I try and get the body/head outline in first and the rest later. I start with the body and then the head.
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 17:48   #64
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Hiya Vectis

Yeah,I guess different folk develope they're own approach and style.I agree about starting with the head and body.I find it very difficult to anticipate the finer details of the drawing without the main bulk of the bird being on paper.
I've never yet been able to start a bird (or any animal) from the feet up!

Matt

Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 18:10   #65
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Me, neither, Matt!
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 21:31   #66
timwootton

Hi Matt, VB,
Interesting question, actually. I'm not sure I know where I start a drawing - I do know that the swan sketch started as a geometric shape I liked - I saw a kind of rombus parallelogram with a neck snaking over it - I drew the diamond shape first, really quickly and added some finer shapes as the drawing progressed. The godwits were possibly more about the body, chest and neck angle and I think I may ahve worked on these areas first (not really sure though - I'll try and pay more attention to myself in future!!!).
Happy New Year.
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 22:23   #67
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
The godwits were possibly more about the body, chest and neck angle and I think I may ahve worked on these areas first (not really sure though - I'll try and pay more attention to myself in future!!!).
Happy New Year.
Hi Tim

Thanks,that answers my question quite succinctly.Like you say about your godwits,the position of the head in relation to the body quite often dictates
the general posture or stance of the rest of the bird, and makes perfect sense to start with these areas first.

Looking forward to seeing work from the 2007 sketchbook!!

Matt

Old Friday 29th December 2006, 10:55   #68
Woody

More excellent work Tim. I've been sketching oystercatchers too and will upload to my sketchbook as soon as I have time. Keep 'em coming in 2007!

Woody
Old Friday 29th December 2006, 11:14   #69
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
More excellent work Tim. I've been sketching oystercatchers too and will upload to my sketchbook as soon as I have time. Keep 'em coming in 2007!

Woody
Look forward to seeing 'em soon, Woody. Happy New Year!
Old Friday 29th December 2006, 19:04   #70
PWG

Quote:
The godwits were possibly more about the body, chest and neck angle and I think I may ahve worked on these areas first (not really sure though - I'll try and pay more attention to myself in future!!!).
Happy New Year.
Don't pay too much attention else you might lose your natural style... perhaps get someone else to watch.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st December 2006, 02:10   #71
timwootton

Ha ha! Cheers Paul - I don't mind folk watching as long as they can put up with the constant tirade of abuse I give myself for 'getting it wrong' all the time. I call it 'development'.
Happy Hogmanay.
Old Sunday 31st December 2006, 06:31   #72
buzzard12

Quote:
Ha ha! Cheers Paul - I don't mind folk watching as long as they can put up with the constant tirade of abuse I give myself for 'getting it wrong' all the time. I call it 'development'.
Happy Hogmanay.

Just wondering if you will carry on this wonderful thread in defiance of a new calander year or will you begin a new 2007 little number....?!!

Happy New Year and may all your paintbrushes be titanium white!(or all the colours of the rainbow!)
Old Sunday 31st December 2006, 11:46   #73
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Just wondering if you will carry on this wonderful thread in defiance of a new calander year or will you begin a new 2007 little number....?!!

Happy New Year and may all your paintbrushes be titanium white!(or all the colours of the rainbow!)
Alan - Windsor & Newton Titanium White oil paint - so creamy you could almost eat it. It just makes me want to paint seascapes with foamy surf - or brilliant white shelducks fresh in the morning sun. Better go and do one, really I suppose.
And yes, I'll be starting a new sketchbook thread - probably help me organise my thoughts a little better - ha ha! Does seem a little silly, as birds have no idea of months, and even seasons seem to be blending more and more.
Did you get any drawing done in Ireland?
Happy New Year.
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2007, 15:52   #74
spizaetos

Happy Hogmanay.

Quote:
Alan - Windsor & Newton Titanium White oil paint - so creamy you could almost eat it. It just makes me want to paint seascapes with foamy surf - or brilliant white shelducks fresh in the morning sun. Better go and do one, really I suppose.
And yes, I'll be starting a new sketchbook thread - probably help me organise my thoughts a little better - ha ha! Does seem a little silly, as birds have no idea of months, and even seasons seem to be blending more and more.
Did you get any drawing done in Ireland?
Happy New Year.
Hi, Tim!
Would you like to explain to me or someonelse, what do you mean with
"Hogmanay", because I haven't heard the word before.
Is that Welsh or Celtic?
Looking forward to see your first 2007 Sketchbook pages..
All the best,

Spizaetos
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2007, 16:47   #75
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spizaetos
Hi, Tim!
Would you like to explain to me or someonelse, what do you mean with
"Hogmanay", because I haven't heard the word before.
Is that Welsh or Celtic?
Looking forward to see your first 2007 Sketchbook pages..
All the best,

Spizaetos
Hi Spizaetos,
Thanks for your kind comments regarding my work. with regard to your question about 'Hogmanay' - I've copied this from a website. (The extended text can be found at: www.rampantscotland.com ). And, although I have lived here in Orkney for several years, I'm actually from Yorkshire (England) - my wife is 1/4 Scottish. . . . .

"While New Year's Eve is celebrated around the world, the Scots have a long rich heritage associated with this event - and have their own name for it, Hogmanay.

There are many theories about the derivation of the word "Hogmanay". The Scandinavian word for the feast preceding Yule was "Hoggo-nott" while the Flemish words (many have come into Scots) "hoog min dag" means "great love day". Hogmanay could also be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon, Haleg monath, Holy Month, or the Gaelic, oge maidne, new morning. But the most likely source seems to be the French. "Homme est né" or "Man is born" while in France the last day of the year when gifts were exchanged was "aguillaneuf" while in Normandy presents given at that time were "hoguignetes". Take your pick!

In Scotland a similar practice to that in Normandy was recorded, rather disapprovingly, by the Church.
"It is ordinary among some Plebians in the South of Scotland, to go about from door to door upon New Year`s Eve, crying Hagmane."
Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence, 1693.
Hogmanay Traditional Celebrations
http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/...s/concert1.jpg Historians believe that we inherited the celebration from the Vikings who, coming from even further north than ourselves, paid even more attention to the passing of the shortest day. In Shetland, where the Viking influence was strongest, New Year is called Yules, from the Scandinavian word. "
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: