Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 31st October 2006, 09:30   #1
pandachris

UK Birdsong tapes

A US citizen planning a trip to the UK posted a request on tripadvisor for places that might sell tapes of UK Birdsong in London. A reply was posted recommending Amazon but the response was :

"Thanks, but I was thinking more of a place to buy while in London rather than online. Surely there are some unique old shops that would carry stuff like this, especially audio tapes."

Anyone got any ideas/know of any suitable shops?
Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 10:42   #2
pandachris

I'll bump this up just in case any London experts missed it first time round. I've certainly not come up with any ideas yet.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 12:07   #3
PaulS

How about the London Wetlands Centre, I know the WWT at Slimbridge has all sorts of bits and pieces, books etc in their shop.

Paul.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 12:22   #4
level seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
How about the London Wetlands Centre, I know the WWT at Slimbridge has all sorts of bits and pieces, books etc in their shop.
Along similar lines I was going to suggest the Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve on the upper Thames estuary, not far from central London I'd guess. They have a shop and other RSPB shops I've been to have had bird song tapes and CDs (more often CDs these days of course). Looks a good spot for birding anyway near London.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 15:50   #5
Merman

have you tried waterstones?

I bought a bird songs book called 'collins guide to bird songs and calls' there. It has a cd in it and the book describes the habitat etc where to find the birds. It was in the nature section amongst the other bird books.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2006, 16:31   #6
JeremyinFrance

Identilocator

I have a question in the same field. I wonder how long it will be until speech recognition technology and GPS technology marry and form a bird identilocator, telling you what bird is how far away and in which direction. Someone is going to make a lot of money from that - and if anyone is inspired, I hope they remember to buy me a drink with their millions.
Jeremy
Old Tuesday 14th November 2006, 23:12   #7
pandachris

I've been away from the site for a few days - thanks to everyone who has replied - I'll pass the suggestions on.

Jeremy - I'm not really keen on gadgets, but I might well be in the market for the international version of the Identilocator. Will it come with option x-ray specs for seeing through bushes?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: