Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
||Thread Tools||Rate Thread|
|Sunday 3rd December 2006, 15:27||#1|
Time is a Shadow
Join Date: May 2005
Places to View Bald Eagles in MN, WI & IA
nature: where to watch the eagles
Prairie du Sac WI
Red Wing MN
"Winter is the best time to see eagles. . .For the best luck seeing eagles, go early in the day or late in the afternoon. . .
Some towns offer bus tours or have viewing platforms staffed by volunteers with spotting scopes. In Red Wing, volunteers staff Colvill Park from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays between Feb. 10 and March 18 (www. redwing.org, 1-800-498-3444). In Wabasha, volunteers already are at the EagleWatch observation deck from 1 to 3 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday and will continue through March. . .
• Jan. 13-14, Eagle Watch Weekend in Guttenberg, Iowa. This
antebellum Mississippi River town has a milelong riverside park and a lock and dam where eagles congregate.
• Jan. 20-21, Bald Eagle Watching Days in Prairie du Sac, Wis. On both days, guided bus tours will be given from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. There will be programs on eagle conservation, radio-tracking demonstrations and the release of rehabilitated eagles. Guided eagle- watching bus tours also will be given at 10 a.m. Jan. 13 and 27 and Saturdays in February. $5. To reserve, call 1-800-683-2453 or go to
• Jan. 27-28, Bald Eagle Days in Cassville, Wis. This town is just downriver from Guttenberg. In addition to eagle programs, there will be a candlelight hike Jan. 27 in nearby Nelson Dewey State Park. (www.cassville.org, 1-608-725-5855)
• Feb. 3, Bald Eagle Appreciation Day in Prairie du Chien, Wis., and at Effigy Mounds National Monument near Marquette, Iowa. Birding experts will give programs and lead field trips. At the Wisconsin Travel Information Center, just off the bridge into town, volunteers will man spotting scopes. (www.prairieduchien. org, 1-800-732-1673, www. nps.gov/efmo, 1-563-873-3491)
• March 9-11, Soar With the Eagles in Wabasha. In March, the eagles are starting to return. The weekend includes eagle-watching car-caravan trips, music, guided cruises, children's activities, a silent auction, a brunch and a display of photo-contest entries. After program details are announced, reserve at 1-877-332-4537 or go to
2006 St. Paul Pioneer Press and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
|Friday 8th December 2006, 18:38||#2|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camby, In.
If only I knew back then. My grandparents kept homes on Abel Island (spelling?) for many years in Guttenberg.
Here at the southwest corner of Indianapolis, we have a resident pair that are successful nesters. They and their offspring can be spotted fishing the White River between Indy and Martinsville often.
|Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Scotland's white-tailed eagles hit double century||Chris Monk||Birds Of Prey||4||Friday 28th July 2006 00:26|
|When do bald eagles use there nest.||lvn600||Birds Of Prey||3||Thursday 26th May 2005 12:34|
|Golden Eagles could re-establish population in Ireland||El Annie||Birds Of Prey||5||Saturday 8th March 2003 22:23|
|Bald Eagles (group photo)||bcurrie||Birds & Birding||14||Wednesday 5th March 2003 04:11|
|Bald Eagles - Link to Photo Attached||bcurrie||Birds & Birding||17||Monday 17th February 2003 04:28|