• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron? Maldives (1 Viewer)

jenza88

I would appreciate confirmation of the ID of this heron. I presume it is the obvious, a grey heron, but as I saw it in the Maldives I would just like to make sure! Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF1000.JPG
    DSCF1000.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 205
JANJ said:
Grey Heron it is, even if it´s in the Maldives.

JanJ
Thank you, thought so but had to ask, just in case it could possibly have been a type of heron I'd never heard of before that was very similar to the grey heron!!

Don't worry, you wouldn't have seen a lot more even spending a fortnight there. It promises to be just one endless tropical pelagic, I've spent weeks there and my list is lower than my garden.

Gashead said:
Don't worry, you wouldn't have seen a lot more even spending a fortnight there. It promises to be just one endless tropical pelagic, I've spent weeks there and my list is lower than my garden.

I think every Maldive Island has a Grey Heron or 2. My list was 2 Grey Herons and 2 Common Sandpipers. And a Fruit Bat.

whomes said:
I think every Maldive Island has a Grey Heron or 2. My list was 2 Grey Herons and 2 Common Sandpipers. And a Fruit Bat.

The nice thing about the Grey Herons in the Maldives is that they don't fly off when you approach them. In fact they get in your way sometimes!
Also saw a White breasted waterhen and plenty of House Crows when I was last there. Oh yes and I did love the Fruit Bats.

Nerine

Attachments

• Grey herons Maldives.jpg
    Grey herons Maldives.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 235
  • fruit bat Maldives.jpg
    fruit bat Maldives.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 200
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back