Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 18th January 2007, 04:35   #1
michele h

How to identify bird call?? Help...

The past several days I have been hearing a whistle type call that I cannot identify. I cannot see the bird(s)...there seems to be more than one....but the sound is a fairly sharp shrill whistle that sounds as if it is 2 or 3 notes at the same time. It has a flute quality to it but sharper. It is not a very long call but is a single whistle (rather than multiple short whistles).

Any ideas what I should be looking for? I live in the Pacific Northwest of Washington state USA, in a rural area surrounded by both farmland and conifer forest.

Many thanks in advance for any direction you may be able to give me.

Michele
Old Thursday 18th January 2007, 18:02   #2
alancairns

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele h
The past several days I have been hearing a whistle type call that I cannot identify. I cannot see the bird(s)...there seems to be more than one....but the sound is a fairly sharp shrill whistle that sounds as if it is 2 or 3 notes at the same time. It has a flute quality to it but sharper. It is not a very long call but is a single whistle (rather than multiple short whistles).

Any ideas what I should be looking for? I live in the Pacific Northwest of Washington state USA, in a rural area surrounded by both farmland and conifer forest.

Many thanks in advance for any direction you may be able to give me.

Michele
Sounds as if it might be a varied thrush. There's arecording at http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/200...ed_Thrush.aspx.

Alan
Old Friday 19th January 2007, 04:41   #3
michele h

Smile Thanks Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancairns
Sounds as if it might be a varied thrush. There's arecording at http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/200...ed_Thrush.aspx.

Alan

You hit the nail on the head! Varied Thrush it is!
Thank you so much for your help!

Michele in Wa state
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: