Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.58 average.
Old Friday 9th February 2007, 23:30   #26
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafi
Hi Tim, yes ill look forward to that next time im down the south parrish.Iv been wondering since i saw your photo. Did we met at echna? Was that you that put me on to the rosey starling in ham? I was on the black bike on my way to photograph the nesting little tern.
Hi Daf - how did you get on with the tern? Love to see the results. Pop by whenever you're around.
Hi Arthur - one single malt coming up - the local whisky is 'Highland Park' which I can highly recommend - however a personal favourite after a long day at the easel or catching fish for the freezer is Aberlour. If you haven't already, please indulge yourself.
Cheers all.
Old Friday 9th February 2007, 23:41   #27
Edward woodwood

Hi Tim

what a great thread

Just enjoying my Rioja here (a Laphroaig would sit well on top though!)... dog and cat sleeping, GF gone to bed. Week off school. Sea crashing in the background... Waterloo Sunset on the stereo... heaven.

looks like a lovely place you've got up there. There's a lot to be said for getting away from it all.

looking forward to seeing a few of your watercolours. Might inspire me to do a few shocking examples of my own next week.
Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 00:40   #28
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
Hi Tim

what a great thread

Just enjoying my Rioja here (a Laphroaig would sit well on top though!)... dog and cat sleeping, GF gone to bed. Week off school. Sea crashing in the background... Waterloo Sunset on the stereo... heaven.

looks like a lovely place you've got up there. There's a lot to be said for getting away from it all.

looking forward to seeing a few of your watercolours. Might inspire me to do a few shocking examples of my own next week.
Hi Tim - a Laph is on its way. I only get the good stuff out occasionally (I remember the first time I ever asked for a Laph - in Carrbridge on a skiing hol -ha ha , I'll never try and pronounce it with a Gaelic accent again - the barman thought I was calling his girlfriend an amphibian!). Welcome to the Room, Tim - bring a drawing or two next time!
Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 18:46   #29
peter mathios

great studio

Tim-
A virtual studio - great idea, and all I have to say is the real studio...wow... that is an impressive location! AND... I am jealous of the single malt available to you over there! Have one for me. I have had some good ones from Islay, but they are quite expensive over here in the States.
www.mathiosstudios.net
Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 19:17   #30
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mathios
Tim-
A virtual studio - great idea, and all I have to say is the real studio...wow... that is an impressive location! AND... I am jealous of the single malt available to you over there! Have one for me. I have had some good ones from Islay, but they are quite expensive over here in the States.
www.mathiosstudios.net
Cheers Peter,
You have an Islay on the bar anytime you care to partake, sir. And a good single malt is ALWAYS expensive, unfortunately. Personally I err on the milder side - Talisker and Islays are just a tad forthright on my palette (That's gob palatte, not painting . . . . you know) so Aberlour and Old Fettercairn give me the mellowness required. Please bring some of your stuff to the studio (there may actually be some folk who are still unaware of your talents - I'd like to put that right!).
Cheers, Tim.
Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 19:18   #31
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Laphroaig? May I politely decline - I am about to be hung, drawn and quartered for sacrilege here, but I can't bear the stuff. No, a nice beer, rum or Bailey's for me. Or, as was the case last night, all of the above during the course of the evening. Greedy sod, me.
Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 22:20   #32
ARTHUR BISHOP

thanks Tim the Aberlour got the taste buds going, but I will need a few more to be sure, so set them up. Wet and miserable here on the North Norfolk Coast. Thomas the Tank engine is going up and down the Poppy Line the other side of the feild of out of my window.Keep the bar open, arthur

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 22:28   #33
ed keeble

Hello Tim- sorry not to have dropped in sooner. Mine would have been a flavoured vodka whilst I scribbled away at something, but I have just been ambushed by my son to watch Match of the Day..

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th February 2007, 23:32   #34
dafi

weel buy im just droped unfur a dram an yer nay hame. betcher oot n aboot the hope the nicth, weel am chust away tae the ola fur a cola sleep weel doo there. daf
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 00:23   #35
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafi
weel buy im just droped unfur a dram an yer nay hame. betcher oot n aboot the hope the nicth, weel am chust away tae the ola fur a cola sleep weel doo there. daf
Excellent dialectic prose, sir - I applaud thee!
Arthur - As long as you keep slamming 'em down - I'll keep settin' 'em up (no charge for the first decade!)
Hi Ed - you have been conspicuous by your absence - everyone's been asking 'bout ya - I, have managed to get kids and Sally off to bed, now I can watch the recorded Match of the Day in blissful peace - I fully expect the mighty reds to have dispatched CVharlton, or whoever they were playing, soon find out!). I'm setting you up with a Shetland Vodka (absolutely recommended!!!!) with one rock, 1/4 Indian tonic and a twist of lime - dry and sweet, like honeydew. In fact, gonna have one me-sel.
Night all.
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 01:37   #36
dafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
Excellent dialectic prose, sir - I applaud thee!
Arthur - As long as you keep slamming 'em down - I'll keep settin' 'em up (no charge for the first decade!)
Hi Ed - you have been conspicuous by your absence - everyone's been asking 'bout ya - I, have managed to get kids and Sally off to bed, now I can watch the recorded Match of the Day in blissful peace - I fully expect the mighty reds to have dispatched CVharlton, or whoever they were playing, soon find out!). I'm setting you up with a Shetland Vodka (absolutely recommended!!!!) with one rock, 1/4 Indian tonic and a twist of lime - dry and sweet, like honeydew. In fact, gonna have one me-sel.
Night all.
well i was going to stop by fer a gab but iv a good shot in noo an am away tae me bed ill bid the a guid nicth laters....
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 11:01   #37
ARTHUR BISHOP

Hi Tim a nice cuppa tea if you dont mind sir.I like the veiw , thought you might like to see my little space, look what was peering round the hedge when I took the picture(a male Sparrow Hawksitting on the bridge.the sea is a half amile the other way.Also aphoto of THOMAS going by, just to prove I'me not completely mad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stu1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	72119  Click image for larger version

Name:	stu3sphk.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	72120  Click image for larger version

Name:	thom1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	72121  

Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 11:54   #38
timwootton

One cuppa tea coming up - I'm on coffee this morning - well every morning, actually. Love the pics, Arthur - that's a lovely study you have and quite some outlook, too. It all looks extremely well-organised. Thomas must be quite a sight - does he go by regularly? Drop by again soon, Arthur - all the best. Sluuurrrp! Aaaahhh!
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 14:10   #39
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Korrr... I'm dead jealous of that view arthur,and tims for that matter!

I see this noble pile has just been graded a five star establishment,very well deserved.Does this mean I can expect a slice of lemmon in my bourben and dr pepper from hence..?

Unfortunately I have no ''sketches'' for discussion,I'm still training my pencil to do what I tell it to do

Matt

Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 14:36   #40
martinf

Hi Tim,
am enjoying the thread and love your sketches. I'll have a pint of something dark, whatever you have. Keep 'em coming
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 15:56   #41
timwootton

Hi Matt - I'll get a case of Pepper and I have recently planted a small lemon grove, so expect organic lemons very soon -'til then Somerfields will have to do. Hi Martin - glad you're enjoying this particular piece of nonsense - May I suggest a pint of Old Tom, or even Theakstons Old Peculiar? - If it's too sweet, I think there' a dark drink made in Ireland that seems to be catching on

Sally's just bought me a pair of lovebirds, which we've named John & Liz after friends of ours in Barnsley - Here's the first observations. Also another from the life class. Oyk watercolour which has recently been commissioned from Switzerland - nice to do thrift in winter!
Just enjoyed a nice Californian white with roast duck and veg - rather pleasant way to spend a wet afternoon.
Cheers All.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	John.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	72162  Click image for larger version

Name:	Liz.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	72163  Click image for larger version

Name:	LifeD.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	72164  Click image for larger version

Name:	OykThrift.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	72165  

Last edited by timwootton : Sunday 11th February 2007 at 16:01.
Old Sunday 11th February 2007, 18:49   #42
buzzard12

Hi Tim,
Great sketches as always, look forward to following this thread...
Envious of the studio, painting on a kitchen table in the kitchen at the moment, tiny apartment! Looking to move soon though to somewhere with a spare room, where I will immediatly set up a desk and lamp and set about creating a glorious mess!!
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 01:46   #43
Dr Manjeet Singh
Dr.Manjeet Singh

Hi Tim love your sketches-wouldnt mind a cup of coffee in the morning-black and thick where 50cent coin can float on it(ah)-i feel like sending you one of my nightmares-a patient weighing 250lbs-lol-it takes me a hour to find a abcess on his body -and the thing is he is perfectly fit even though he is over weight but my couch take's a hammering every time he is in for a check up.Will try to send you some of my doodles but dont leave town after seeing them will you

BF Supporter 2005 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th February 2007, 02:18   #44
birdpotter

I am beginning to see a theme here with work/studio space. I am starting to understand what I should be looking for in a house. Sorry to be redundant, but my question wasn't answered before, so how in the world do you people find these places?
Someone share.

I am enjoying what you are doing in the life drawing class. Nice work. Are you using only charcoal for that?

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:14   #45
timwootton

John Threlfall etc. . .

Hi Folks - in the interest of furthering the development of the Art Forum - I would like to recommend this Gallery Site - It has an excellent collection of work by John Threlfall. He is in the modernist landscape tradition (I feel) and there are elements of Sir Stanley Cursiter and even Keith Shackelton in his works.
Happy viewing.
http://www.rockcliffegallery.co.uk and go to 'Artwork For Sale' - you'll find John there.

In a similar vein, here are a couple of recent landscapes from my studio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WindwickBw.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	72285  Click image for larger version

Name:	RAZORBIL.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	72286  Click image for larger version

Name:	ShapLandscape.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	72287  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoy.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	72288  Click image for larger version

Name:	MyRock.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	72348  

Last edited by timwootton : Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 00:10.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:27   #46
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdpotter
I am beginning to see a theme here with work/studio space. I am starting to understand what I should be looking for in a house. Sorry to be redundant, but my question wasn't answered before, so how in the world do you people find these places?
Someone share.

I am enjoying what you are doing in the life drawing class. Nice work. Are you using only charcoal for that?
Hi Elizabeth - I think a workspace can be just about anywhere - as long as you can lay out your materials without fear of grubby little fingers tampering with them (unless they're your own, of course). Arthur obviously has a wonderful light area which looks almost purpose-built (I'm sure he'll enlighten us) and Woody, as mentioned, uses his conservatory. Personally I've always needed a room of my own and in the past this has included renting space for my own work. Where I live now is, for me, ideal - but I had to uproot the whole family and relocate it on the edge of the 'known world' to get what I wanted. Fortunaltely Sally also wanted the same thing and the kids were young enough to adapt. An alternative to moving round the world for a studion, do you have the space to erect a garden shed? these can be great spaces in which to work. One final point to note, however - if you look at Alan's contribution (Buzzard12) - he is 'making do' with a kitchen table - an I can sense he's a little frustrated about this, BUT if I could produce the quality of work he does - on a kitchen table, I'd be delighted.

Hi Manjeet - I assume the 'large' chap is being offered up as a drawing model, yes (You aren't wanting me to give him a medical examination to see if I can find anything wrong? are you!) I remember my first ever life drawing class - I was a kid of 18 years old and our model was called Anne - a lovely middle-aged lady who weighed in excess of 30 stones! She positioned herself directly in front of me (barely 5 feet away and proceeded to 'pose' - the pose was on a stool, one leg up under her buttocks and the other stretched out at a 30 degree angle - I can still see the image in my mind's eye.
I know it's early ,- but I think I'll have a double Vodka, please!!!!!!
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:41   #47
dafi

Morning Tim how are you dooin this damp old day,i was a wee bit under the weather yesterday[some thing i ate i supose].However sitting around i got the old sketch pad out for an hour and how time flew. Not that i can draw for toffe. fun tho.I like your black n white
. Is that of the north side of windwick?. I like it out there with the water fall and ravens. Cant wait for squill ,thrift and spring!.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 13:56   #48
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Well I have a day off work but the weather's disgusting so I'm drinking beer, sorting out my bookshelves and just not doing a lot. I might do some Avocet drawings from my digiscoped pictures of last week and put them up for your edification.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 14:35   #49
birdpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
Hi Elizabeth - I think a workspace can be just about anywhere - as long as you can lay out your materials without fear of grubby little fingers tampering with them (unless they're your own, of course). Arthur obviously has a wonderful light area which looks almost purpose-built (I'm sure he'll enlighten us) and Woody, as mentioned, uses his conservatory. Personally I've always needed a room of my own and in the past this has included renting space for my own work. Where I live now is, for me, ideal - but I had to uproot the whole family and relocate it on the edge of the 'known world' to get what I wanted. Fortunaltely Sally also wanted the same thing and the kids were young enough to adapt. An alternative to moving round the world for a studion, do you have the space to erect a garden shed? these can be great spaces in which to work. One final point to note, however - if you look at Alan's contribution (Buzzard12) - he is 'making do' with a kitchen table - an I can sense he's a little frustrated about this, BUT if I could produce the quality of work he does - on a kitchen table, I'd be delighted.
YOu know, I used to think the same thing about a workspace being to able exist just about anywhere. Right now, my space is in the dungeon/basement. I've painted a sunset on the wall just to cheer me up a bit when I am down there. We will hopefully be moving soon and I want to keep a look out for the ideal space. I need those great windows and views for contemplative reasons. Right now, there just isn't a space in our little house to just sit and stair out the window and be inspired, to observe, or to just zone out enough to later be able to focus(even if there were, I would be looking at another house or the street). It becomes a little more complicated for me since my end medium is clay. Ideally, I would like to have a work space for my clay and a viewing/sitting/contemplating space in the same area. And a pony.

I like Threlfall's work. Would you explain '"modernist landscape tradition"? What defines that? Is there a specific time period for this and it is now being re-invented? I plan on looking at the other artists you mentioned inspired Threlfall.

Best
Elizabeth

Old Monday 12th February 2007, 14:58   #50
birdpotter

Tim,
I took a look at the other artists and back at Threlfall.
Shackleton has this almost hyperrealism going on with some of his work. It's interesting. Cursiter seems to be more along the same lines as Threlfall; is that the modernist landscaping tradition? I think I am seeing it. My husband and I have been going back and forth from Threlfall's and your work and there is clearly something missing from Threlfall's. Not that I should even be comparing the two.

The more I see of your paintings, the more I am falling in love with them. It is all about the visibilty of the paint and the brushstrokes for me and what the viewer can get out of simple color and shape.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: