Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.58 average.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 16:28   #51
timwootton

Afternoon All!
Hi Dafi - the windwick charcoal drawing is from the cliff walk from the memorial plaque to the Opal and Narborough disasters - about halk a mile up the cliff and the colour seastack painting is the same rock you can see on the foreground black and white (if that makes sense!). Like you, I'm waiting eagerly for the spring flowers, truly a magical time, isn't it.
Hi VB - beer on a wet Monday is my idea of civilisation, young lady! Look forward to seeing the drawings.
Elizabeth - in the best art traditions I think I've probably made up the term 'modern landscape tradition' and will have possibly forgotten it by next week! - But what I think I mean is - modern colour and approach using pastoral subjects (representative and naturalistic). There may be this term in usage already - and if there is, it probably means something different from what I want it to mean, but it's a free world.
Thank you very much for the kind words about my work - I suppose it's something all artists feel at some time or other - ie. I wish I could paint like so-and-so, - I just really like John manages to simplify his palette and he has a wonderful economy of brushstrokes. I envy his ability. Perhaps, though, we forget how lucky we are to be able to produce anything at all. Good luck witht the house hunt.

Last edited by timwootton : Monday 12th February 2007 at 17:53.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 16:54   #52
dafi

good aftrenoon Tim,yea thats a nice area for a wander and falls of migrants. Years ago a mate rented one of the houses looking out on the bay. He would look out when big easterlys were pushing in and watch surfers out playing How dodgy is that!!
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 18:00   #53
ARTHUR BISHOP

hi Tim a nice pint of your best bitter Sir ,
no my room wasn't purpose built, but fits the bill nicely. I claimed it when we moved in.17ft. x 8ft. You can see it on the left side of the bungalow. I hope you don't mind me posting these pictures on your thread ? The steam trains go by every 20 minutes when running. Thomas is only for Half term.
Cheers for now , arthur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	72320  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th February 2007, 18:46   #54
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

Hi, Tim!
I've just found this thread by you. I'm in a hurry but... I'd love to enjoy a hot chocolate while having a look around! I will visit this thread again with more time, but I couldn't resist to greet you and say a couple of things:
a) What is that introdution with "an old man indulgences"??? My idea of an old man has nothing to do with yours, it seems.
b) Loved to see the famous "Puffins" in your wall (I've noticed it was very appreciated in the gallery, by the way) and the "lovely chaos" of your studio!
c) You look very different to the other 2 pics I've seen of you. Are you a man of "several faces"?
No time now for "art critic" but I promise to come back for more serious discussions. Cheers, Tim!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th February 2007, 19:18   #55
timwootton

Hi Arthur - pint on the bar! I can't imagine why you'd want to claim that room for yourself - It's a beauty. Please feel free to post anything you want (it's everyone's forum) - I'm sure everyone bothering to read this thread is just as interested (nosey!?) as I am in other folk's stuff.

Hello Marian - fancy seeing you here - Hot choccy coming up - the face posted here is very much a 'morning after the night before' face - if you look really closely, you may make out two eyes on this face - but you do need to study really hard. Come and join us for something stronger a little later.
Cheers - Tim.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 20:11   #56
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
Hi VB - beer on a wet Monday is my idea of civilisation, young lady! Look forward to seeing the drawings.
Drawings are being worked on as I speak (type). Just been looking at the BBC4 news and am struck by the resemblance of Iran's Mahmood Ahmadinejad to David Beckham...darker and older of course.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 21:07   #57
peter mathios

Quote:
Cheers Peter,
You have an Islay on the bar anytime you care to partake, sir. And a good single malt is ALWAYS expensive, unfortunately. Personally I err on the milder side - Talisker and Islays are just a tad forthright on my palette (That's gob palatte, not painting . . . . you know) so Aberlour and Old Fettercairn give me the mellowness required. Please bring some of your stuff to the studio (there may actually be some folk who are still unaware of your talents - I'd like to put that right!).
Cheers, Tim.
Hey Tim!
I'll take that Islay, let's see, do you have 16 year old Lagavulin? ... ah, the peat ...mmm, that's good stuff.

I would like to post a few images in the gallery, but I am not sure how... I clicked on the insert image link and a prompt for some html came up but I am not quite sure what to type in. Any help would be great. For now, anyone interested can visit my website....www.mathiosstudios.net Also, I'm looking forward to seeing some more paintings of yours. What are you currently working on?
Peter
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 23:23   #58
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mathios
Hey Tim!
I'll take that Islay, let's see, do you have 16 year old Lagavulin? ... ah, the peat ...mmm, that's good stuff.

I would like to post a few images in the gallery, but I am not sure how... I clicked on the insert image link and a prompt for some html came up but I am not quite sure what to type in. Any help would be great. For now, anyone interested can visit my website....www.mathiosstudios.net Also, I'm looking forward to seeing some more paintings of yours. What are you currently working on?
Peter
Hi Peter - Lagavulin is available - and is also free of charge for the first decade. In fact I'll join you. What do you mean you can't post things in the Gallery - you post stuff there all the time, don't you? Or do you mean you want to post images to this thread? (which is what I hoped you would do). Assuming that's the case - you need to click the green 'POST REPLY' button - you will then be able to add attachments from your hard drive - they will be uploaded as part of your message. You'll need to give the 'POST REPLY' a title. Hope that's what you meant. Good luck and Cheers! Tim
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 01:08   #59
peter mathios

ahhh...

I think I got it figured out...
Here are a couple of works in progress and nearing completion. The first of a winter scene with a pair of mallards and an american wigeon drake - a painting that I have been working on since 2002 and I am finally on a path that I feel is working! The second is of a greenwing teal - although I am not quite happy with the water yet and the low light colors. Any critique from any artists at your studio would be welcome.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winter Hideaway 1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	72349  Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenwing Teal 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	72350  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 01:18   #60
timwootton

I've got them now, Peter! First impressions are they are clearly going to be up to your usual impeccable standard. I can see immense potential in them and, when finished, they won't be hanging around on your gallery walls for very long! But, to quote the lovely Marian Alvarez, I am in a rush. But in my case - to get to bed - kids to school in the morning - me to work (on graphic design, aaaarggggh!), and Sally all lonely and tucked up(but probably asleep!).
Feel free to entertain yourselves in my absence - just please remember to switch off the lights when you leave. Speak later Peter.
G'night all.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 01:39   #61
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mathios
I think I got it figured out...
Here are a couple of works in progress and nearing completion. The first of a winter scene with a pair of mallards and an american wigeon drake - a painting that I have been working on since 2002 and I am finally on a path that I feel is working! The second is of a greenwing teal - although I am not quite happy with the water yet and the low light colors. Any critique from any artists at your studio would be welcome.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net
These are glorious (says in hushed whisper,night tim,don't let the bed bugs..!)

Always enjoy seeing how artists portray waterbirds and their sorroundings.
How on earth is it possible to recreate such a convincing scene of nature
and landscape onto pad or canvas-it's still a mystery to me!!

You all have my admiration

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 15:21   #62
buzzard12

Oystercatcher painting kind of zipped in there ahead of my post, its a cracker Tim, really nice piece, love the colours. Landscapes are fantastic too and give a real sense of how wonderful your location can be, particularily in the warmer months. Spring and autumn must be something to relish!

Afraid I will have to go against the grain perhaps and indulge myself in a little irish number, perhaps a wee Black Bush, provided it is in the generous shadow of a good pint of Guiness!! (Should i ever finally make time to travel to the scottish isles though and single malt would be just great!)
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 15:42   #63
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

Here I am as promised, Tim!

> Come and join us for something stronger a little later

Ehhhhhr… something stronger than hot chocolate? Well… I don’t know… I’m sort of teetotal. But I can leave it up to you… I accept a recommendation as you seem to be an expert. But please, be careful with your choice, as I start to feel very dizzy at the second sip of alcohol.

I’ve just discovered that your place is very interesting to learn new things, like this:

"A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind."

Hmmmm… I’m not sure I liked to hear that… It means I’m really sick!!! I don’t mean to say my desk is a model of tidiness but I fight with all my energy against its natural tendency to reach the highest state of mess!

While I digest the above critic and the brew you’ve chosen, I’m going to have a look to the your sketches, bye for now!

Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:05   #64
timwootton

Spring water with the Black Bush, Alan? And a cold Guiness, specially imported from Dublin. For the first time in ages, today is calm and warm - even saw a moth caterpillar (no idea what species) and spring really is starting to become a little more tangible. Pop a drawing in, or what about a scene-setting landscape pic - I'd really like to see where you do your work. I've always wanted to visit Sweden (ever since Borg the Iceman) and obviously reading Bird Island.
Hi marian - teetotallers are more than welcome - we aren't prejudiced!!!
However, if you're staying for a wee while, can I tempt you with a slightly alcoholic tipple? - perhaps a crisp white wine and a dash of fresh organic lemonade - ice and a slice, ought to be ok. Obviously I'll have to chaperone you, don't want you drinking more than one and a half sips and start causing trouble!
Cheers.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:21   #65
Woody

Don't suppose you've got a nice Zoco Pacharan in that virtual bar Tim?

I don't know if it's of interest but I thought I'd hand around one of my landscapes for the assembled throng to peruse.

I don't often do landscape and even when I do I like to inject a bit of bird life! My landscapes are far looser than my wildlife art and I tend to be a bit more adventurous with colour, what does anyone think? This rookery is in Norfolk BTW.

Woody
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the-rookery.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	72380  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:30   #66
timwootton

Hi Peter-

Just to reiterate how much I admire your ability not only to portray birds so convincingly, but the way your habitat studies are so accurate - The first one is splendid and must almost be ready for the frame. The composition of the birds is exceptional and natural. Love it.
The teal painting, I think, is a masterclass in atmosphere - you can feel the low light and temperature. Thinking back to your stilt painting and the simplicity of the design which makes it so compelling, I'm wondering if that piece also succeeds so well because of the way the birds are 'breaking the dimensions' ie. moving through the painting from front to back. Although the teal is stationary, would a similar device be out of place, perhaps the head at three-quarters - although this may break the tranquility of the painting. Either way, it's bopund to be fab. Just a question - how do you manage to work on so many canvases simoultaneously? - I can't think of other pieces until I get the one I'm working on out the way (and I always rush them as I get fed up with them). A lesson in studio work, please Peter.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:33   #67
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

> a crisp white wine and a dash of fresh organic lemonade - ice and a slice, ought to be ok.

That sounds nice, very elaborated! But white wine is very dangerous, as I like it and then it produces devastating effects on me... It may be a good idea to have you by me keeping an eye on the quantities I have of that sublime brew.

This site is growing and growing very quickly! I've had a look at the sketches of the first page. For some reason, I prefer finished paintings to sketches, even if they are very good. With sketches, I always have the feeling of "I need more!!!" and never let me satisfied. But I loved the Divers, seen from different angles. Something I like a lot of your drawing is that you get the "personality" of the bird, and not all bird illustrators get it (even in field guides).

........... This drink of yours is absolutely delicious! Do you think I can risk to have another sip?

Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:04   #68
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

I don't know if it's of interest but I thought I'd hand around one of my landscapes for the assembled throng to peruse.

I don't often do landscape and even when I do I like to inject a bit of bird life! My landscapes are far looser than my wildlife art and I tend to be a bit more adventurous with colour, what does anyone think? This rookery is in Norfolk BTW.

Woody
Just for you Woody - I always have the one bottle put aside. Feel free to take one whenever you visit. I also have some freshly preserved sloes which you could squeeze into it and the oranges are in the fridge, top left. Ice made from Speyside springwater ought to compliment it well - relaxa nd enjoy.
Adore the landscape - there's a lot of vitality in this piece and the lighting creates a wonderful atmosphere - bravo! Show more, please.
I'm going to post a painting, from conception to completion (hopefully) may be interesting.
Cheers!

Marian,
I'm sure we can all trust you to behave impeccably - but if you can't the landlord has a very stern way of dealing with folk!
Just go carefully.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:11   #69
buzzard12

Quote:

Woody

Lovely painting that Woody! I can almost hear the racket! Colours are fantastic, love it...
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:24   #70
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

> I'm sure we can all trust you to behave impeccably - but if you can't the landlord
> has a very stern way of dealing with folk! Just go carefully.

OK, then the second sip for the second page... under my own responsability!

Here I've found the sort of thing that thrills me: the Oystercatcher family. Oh, how sweet and cute!!!! With a nice cushion of my dear Sea Pink flower (if I'm not mistaken, that was a lesson from you, remember?). The little chick on the back looks just adorable, I'd love to take it and cuddle it! Everything looks so real, even the shadow of the adult beak. Sincere congrats for this one!

............Nothing wrong with the second sip... am I getting stronger with age???

Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 19:07   #71
peter mathios

Quote:
Just a question - how do you manage to work on so many canvases simoultaneously? - I can't think of other pieces until I get the one I'm working on out the way (and I always rush them as I get fed up with them). A lesson in studio work, please Peter.
Tim-

Everybody seems to have a different approach and yours seems to work well as you have beautiful work!

Like you , I get tired of working them unless the inspiration for one remains strong. It's when I get totally fed up that I set it aside until I excited about the piece again. Sometimes that takes years (the above winter waterfowl scene) but more often than not, it usually takes a week or two. A lot of times I will put the painting totally out of sight so that when I see it again there will be a fresh perspective. Currently, I have 8 paintings in progress in my studio! LOL ...and some ideas I can't wait to start! I do have an upcoming deadline though so I am trying to get some of these finished and am completely fighting the urge to start something new. I've posted a couple of the others in progress below...They are very low-res pictures though but I think you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the Lagavulin yesterday it was oh so good... I think today I'll have a Guinness. I saw that mentioned earlier and it sounded good. It's only 11am over here though! As the saying goes though... "it's 5 o'clock somewhere". In this case it should be about 5pm at your studio

www.mathiosstudios.net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rain drops1.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	72410  Click image for larger version

Name:	bullsprig.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	72411  Click image for larger version

Name:	Finley Painting.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	72412  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 19:11   #72
peter mathios

Quote:

Woody
Woody-
This is a beautiful moody painting that is so full of life! I love it.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 19:24   #73
timwootton

Thank you for the insight Peter (one cold Guiness on the bar) - these are fabulous. The contrast you get into your work is astounding; liquid colour and movement - really super. Are you working towards an exhibition? Keep us all posted, please. And you've only shown five pieces in progress - that means there must be a few more on the go!
I'll join you with a lager - Cheers.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 19:32   #74
timwootton

studio activity

On the encouragement/ advice of woody - the gull & Bouy (get it???) sketch will become (hopefully) a painting - here's the first 2 stages - stage 1 - common gull & bouy - stage 2 - don't like common gull, replace with 2 GBBgulls (still like the bouy, which is my boat mooring bouy at the bottom of the garden). Start to add some colour tonight. 2 More drawings from the life group.
Pint of lager.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BouyGull1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	72420  Click image for larger version

Name:	BouyGull2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	72421  Click image for larger version

Name:	lying.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	72422  Click image for larger version

Name:	standing.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	72423  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 20:10   #75
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Fantastic paintings, Peter and what I aspire to (although I still working on drawing!).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: