Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.58 average.
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 00:23   #101
ARTHUR BISHOP

any advice or suggestions

I am not sure of the composition, oh! a nice pint of your bitter please. I think this might work. Its going to be a loose flock of Brent many thanks , arthur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brent.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	72647  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th February 2007, 15:12   #102
buzzard12

Nice Tim, Enjoyed watching it come along immensely!
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 09:11   #103
Woody

Everone's gone quiet in your studio Tim.....

Given you time to paint more I hope?

I've just uploaded my barn owl in landscape painting here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/1
You can see from the landscape that the view is another on my holiday farm hideaway, same as the rookery pic I put up here earlier.

The snowy landscape is still in my mind so no doubt it will get done sometime in the future.

Woody
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 10:51   #104
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Everone's gone quiet in your studio Tim.....

Given you time to paint more I hope?

I've just uploaded my barn owl in landscape painting here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/1
You can see from the landscape that the view is another on my holiday farm hideaway, same as the rookery pic I put up here earlier.

The snowy landscape is still in my mind so no doubt it will get done sometime in the future.

Woody
Sorry Woody - the studio has been quiet for the past few days - I've been seconded into erecting a polytunnel and finishing off my latest article for Yorkshire Post. Managed to get some life-drawing done and have just gone through all the images I've missed in Gallery - Love the landscape, I've just come back from viewing that one - (thought you weren't a landcape painter - well you are!).
Arthur, that bitter will be flat now, let me get you a fresh glass - the brents worked really well. The composition is very good and brave to cut the birds up like that, very naturalistic. Perhaps a direction to follow?
I'll be starting a new piece 'on-line' so to speak as soon as I can get this next design job outtheway.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 11:18   #105
ARTHUR BISHOP

good to have the landlord or is it the Lairde back in the chairkeep the pints coming

Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 20:46   #106
birdpotter

Arthur,
Do you work most of your paintings like the brent one?
I love the owl and landscape, there's a nice mood to it.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 21:16   #107
ARTHUR BISHOP

helo Birdpotter, not always,but a thin wash when working in acrylics lets me see if I have got the right size or position, nice pint of your best if you are in landlord

Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 23:20   #108
peter mathios

I stopped by a couple of times but it didn't seem like anyone was home. I figured Tim was out sketching. Any new ones? Oh... and I'll take another Islay, please.

Woody, I loved the barn owl piece. There is a nice depth to it and it reminds me a lot of where I live - the open fields divided by brush and trees. It is captured very well and I definately feel the sense of flight in the owl.

www.mathiosstudios.net
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 23:50   #109
timwootton

Beer for Arthur, Wee dram for Peter and a whole bottle for Elizabeth (how'did hubby get on?).
Fell into a barbed wire fence this evening - I was left impaled for ten minutes - my right hand (the 'good one') is very stiff. Hope it's not tetenus - eeek. I'd better have a quadruple vod and ton.
Sssscccheeeers!!!
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 01:08   #110
birdpotter

Hubby did well and is just waiting for that call that will give him the yay or nay.
My son and I are down in Louisiana right now visiting my folks. I have seen more birds in my mother's backyard, just this morning, than I have seen in a very long time. Unusual ones too, for a backyard.
I will be going out one of these mornings to get some serious birding and hopefully sketching in. Maybe I will post something.
Keep an extra bottle 'round for me, just in case...

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 10:26   #111
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
Fell into a barbed wire fence this evening - I was left impaled for ten minutes
I'm guessing you didn't want to do that?

I hope you can still hold a pint steady, we wouldn't want you to spill beer on anything in the studio! I also hope it's not serious and your hand loosens up enough so you can keep enthralling and educating us with your paintings and sketches.

Thanks for the comments on my barn owl landscape, I'm feeling encouraged to do more along the same lines, maybe something other than a barn owl next. I've just sold the rookery painting so I'll have a southern comfort (later) and raise my glass to you lot who were so positive about it.

Cheers everyone!

Woody
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 11:59   #112
timwootton

ouch!

Feeling very sorry for myself today - my right hand looks like a bunch of sausages and feels very sore - poor little me! Typing is a really painful chore (so I hope my effort is appreciated ) - Anyway on with the story . . .
Here's a piece I've just reclaimed from a local tack-shop who had it on display - it depicts Sally's favourite heavy horse (after Tessa, our Clydesdale) on a typical misty Yorkshire morning. Attended my drawing group on Monday and this was possibly the best effort although some of the quicker line drawings have a certain something. A drawing of short-eared owl and a colour sketch painting of short-eared owl.
Correct woody - I did not want to end up "a*se o'er t*t" via barbed wire fence - the worst thing was I couldn't get off it - I had several barbs in by hands and I was 'hooked' - some barbs in my belly and some in my ribs - great fun! Every time I moved I got more barbs in me until I finally managed to roll off and the blood started gushing - eeek!
Great news about the rookery - but I'm not in the least bit surprised - it's ace.
I'll join you in a wee while (medicinal, of course!)
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&Wowl.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	73335  Click image for larger version

Name:	ModelSit.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	73336  Click image for larger version

Name:	S-Eowl.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	73337  Click image for larger version

Name:	HandsomeLad1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	73339  

Last edited by timwootton : Wednesday 21st February 2007 at 13:19.
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 12:53   #113
birdpotter

Oh Man Tim! These injuries sound much worse than what you first led us to believe.
I really hope you aren't too injured and I hope your recovery is swift, but, and I hope others are just as curious as I am, how the heck did you fall into a barbed wire fence? Was there anyone else around to help? I am getting an image of you flailing around on a fence getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Do you have your shots?

How long ago did you paint the horse painting? The light (not the flash at the top) is really well done. And the last one, the owl, is lovely. Just another fantastic example of getting an image across with the minimal amount of brushstroke and detail work. Very nice.

I really hope your injuries heal fast and don't effect your daily life much.

Best
Elizabeth

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 13:04   #114
timwootton

Thanks Elizabeth - our property is on a hillside and I want to take down all of the barbed wire and replace it with post-and-rail, but it's a huge task (and very expensive) but it is a major priority (problem is we have 6 paddocks over approx. 4 acres). I managed to fall onto the fence from off a 4 foot high embankment - I was on rough ground and tripped so I went with some force - my hands straight in front to break the fall and - well guess the rest - I end up with wire in my hands and my head in the mud in the next field. But don't worry I'll live - but I can't hold a pencil at the moment. Perhaps I've just got enough grip for a glass . . . . .?
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 14:34   #115
timwootton

HEY - IT'S MY 1000th POST!
Cheers.
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 14:57   #116
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
HEY - IT'S MY 1000th POST!
Cheers.
Cause for celebration methinks, would you like a straw with your guiness?

Love the short eared owl btw

Matt

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 16:01   #117
birdpotter

Quote:
Thanks Elizabeth - our property is on a hillside and I want to take down all of the barbed wire and replace it with post-and-rail, but it's a huge task (and very expensive) but it is a major priority (problem is we have 6 paddocks over approx. 4 acres). I managed to fall onto the fence from off a 4 foot high embankment - I was on rough ground and tripped so I went with some force - my hands straight in front to break the fall and - well guess the rest - I end up with wire in my hands and my head in the mud in the next field. But don't worry I'll live - but I can't hold a pencil at the moment. Perhaps I've just got enough grip for a glass . . . . .?

Geez...I am cringing for you right now...

And cheers for the 1000th post! I think Matt has the right idea about the straw.

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 16:57   #118
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

I've been admiring everybody's work silently from the BG for sometime and enjoying your conversations but at this point I need to make a shy appearance to congratulate you all for those wonderful paintings and... to congratulate you, Tim, on your 1000 posts and to wish you a quick recovery of your wounds. To read about your "accident" had given me goose bumps! Cheers everybody!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 17:00   #119
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Alvarez
I've been admiring everybody's work silently from the BG for sometime and enjoying your conversations but at this point I need to make a shy appearance to congratulate you all for those wonderful paintings and... to congratulate you, Tim, on your 1000 posts and to wish you a quick recovery of your wounds. To read about your "accident" had given me goose bumps! Cheers everybody!
Hey there young lady - you can come in and pull up a chair anytime you like (I won't force-feed you any more alcohol if you don't want it! )
And don't worry about me - I'm a tough old boot. (I just cry like a baby, that's all).
Cheers - Mine's a lager with a straw - cheers Matt, Elizabeth.
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 17:28   #120
buzzard12

Quote:
Hey there young lady - you can come in and pull up a chair anytime you like (I won't force-feed you any more alcohol if you don't want it! )
And don't worry about me - I'm a tough old boot. (I just cry like a baby, that's all).

As always Tim, Lovely work. Im running out of descritive words such as stunning, beautiful etc.!! SE Owl black and white is really nice...

Hope the hand heals soon and glad no serious damage done!!
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 17:33   #121
dafi

sorry to hear about your accident tim. hang on in there. with your good hand of course. get better soon
Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 17:46   #122
ARTHUR BISHOP

hope your hand heels soon so we can see a sketch of the incident, can you still draw a pint with your good hand. no pun on the (draw) intended.

Old Wednesday 21st February 2007, 22:21   #123
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Hope you get better soon Tim. Barbed wire is evil stuff, I've had a few run in's with it in the past - I hope your tetanus shots are up to date.
Old Thursday 22nd February 2007, 07:48   #124
madamcoolpix
a.k.a. Madam Butterfly

Quote:
Good morning, artists!!!

Too early for alcohol, so it will do with strong coffee to wake me up! But I will accept a more interesting suggestion by you later...

Tim, do you see how many people is worrying about you? But surely Sally's golden hands will heal your wounds soon... if she can revive a just hatched chicken she will do miracles with her husband's hands, won't she?

I'll be back later to see what's going on here at this studio, I'm only a spectator but I feel terribly attracted to this thread. Cheers everybody!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd February 2007, 08:01   #125
Woody

Love that horse Tim. Funnily enough I've been mulling over ideas for paintings which would feature domestic livestock (mostly goats but horses, sheep and cows also feature on the list). Wherever there's livestock there's birds it seems and I like the idea of painting the birds as an integral part of the agricultural landscape alongside its inhabitants. Too many ideas and not enough time!

Hope your hand's feeling better today BTW.

Woody
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: