• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Sketchathon! (2 Viewers)

don't know how I managed to scroll down and miss most of the pictures, there are somegenuine triumphs amongst these, notably the sleeping spoonbill, the far right shelduck and the left dipper.

Paul - an outstanding group of drawings which, as Nick says, show huge potential and brilliant observation.
The hunched drawing of the Stone Curlew (pic 8) is exquisitely seen and is a really excellent drawing. The cock pheasant has a reality to it that I like and your mark-m,aking is subtle and precise. The eider drakes are truly lovely.
Now you've started - you'd better carry on . . .
GREAT stuff!

Wonderful, loose, sketching as it should be! Do keep this up.

Gads, I really want to get out there. Wasn't able to make to down to Pelee for the sketchathon like I'd planned this month, but a trip up the Bruce this weekend should fit the bill. I've hardly been birding in weeks, going stir crazy here. Hopefully the warblers will wait for me!

Sketchathon is going badly here too, got a day off tomorrow and guess what it's gonna rain all day! I may sit under an umbrella somewhere and see what happens!

To keep my promice ,I tried to find time to sketch.
Here they are the first results, and I hope that I'll be back
next week with much more new stuff.

Regards

Spizaetos

www.dougalis-art.com

Attachments

• Coot 1.jpg
    Coot 1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 83
I'll just apologise for my lack of contribution, but I WILL someday soon.
Paschalis, these are truly lovely drawings - very tenderly done. Love them.

Back from my Scotland trip and I did get outside with my sketch book and paints. My efforts in the field drawing birds were pretty poor and it was horrendously difficult. However after looking at them in the flesh for so long I now have a pretty good idea in my head what several species look like which wouldnt have happened if I had only taken photos. It was very rewarding. It must get easier with practise and also if you acquire more of an understanding of the birds structure. Also I do have a poor visual memory - not just for moving things either! I need to have things infront of me, preferably staying still to do a reasonable job. Can your visual memory be developed I wonder or are some people just better than others? Anyway I am going to post a few of my 'least worst' jottings and then post some stuff I worked on with the help of an image on screen. May get the image sizing wrong at first - bear with me!
forum6.jpgforum7.jpg

Hope you had a good time, great to see the results, good to see you concentrating on the strong shapes created by the herons, I hope you continue sketching birds as there are somegreat observations in these, yes it does get easier with time, and a visual memory is something that I don't possess and don't think can be developed, but it doesn't stop the creative process.

Thanks Nick. I shall now inflict some more on you and sneak in a couple of landscapes done 'en plein air' which I do rarely and really enjoyed even in the wind and in the company of many insects.
forum2.jpg forum5.jpg forum8.jpg forum9.jpg

These are a couple of sketches I did with the help of a still image although I did do some 'jottings'. Never seen a grasshopper warbler before. It was amazing - it sat on a rock trembling and emitting that strange insect like noise. It was so small and looked so fragile. Its so hard to believe they travel so far and that any survive.
forum11.jpg forum12.jpg

Hope to find time to work up some sketches.

Dryslwyn

Wendy - In my opinion these are a total success. With regard to looking and 'visual memory' - what I can say is that (as you allude to) the more you look, the more you see (and possibly, understand). You may, in time, devise a shorthand for certain tricky things like birds wings in flight - and for me this comes with looking and then doing fast drawings BUT then i go to a sketchbook and try to work out the anatomy on the page. A paper cut-out also helps as you can move it round in space.
But back to your drawings -I'll start with the obvious which are your landscapes. You are clearly at home with the subject and the medium and these are professionally executed - look great. Besides the heron drawings which Nick rightly commends, my absolute favourites are the 2nd page of wheatear drawings - the bird is captured just spot-on.
Your colour sketch of the grasshopper warbler is truly delightful and would disappear off the gallery wall in an instant - love it.

they're fast little things aren't they those wheatears, you got straight down to the important points on them and with very few lines you've conjured up all their character, your landscapes, in a word fantastic, but we already knew this! I really love that grasshopper warbler, I don't know if it's deliberate but the composition really evokes the song, the strength and angularity around the bird's head makes its reeling belt out, and then 'dribbles' around down the grass stems. I may be talking nonsense again (no drink tonight!) but that's the feeling I get with this pic.

Great description Nick - I get what you mean (well most of it - I didn't understand the reference to "no drink tonight" - what's it mean?) ;)

Friday is my day. After a week of cleaning this tiny little house, getting it ready to sell, I am taking at least the morning off.
Hopefully I will find some good locations and birds to go along with them.

Everyone so far is doing wonderful work. It's really great seeing the differences in depiction of birds. It's like handwriting or signatures to be exact.

I have the itch and only have a day to wait!

Wish me success!

I've not been able to get out as much as I would like (I suppose all day every day is a bit much to ask!) But I've had some opportunity:

Woody

Attachments

• sketchathon1.jpg
    sketchathon1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 71
  • sketchathon2.jpg
    sketchathon2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 81
  • sketchathon3.jpg
    sketchathon3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 79
  • sketchathon4.jpg
    sketchathon4.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 74
  • sketchathon5.jpg
    sketchathon5.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back