Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 23:29   #1
PONYRCR
Registered User
 
PONYRCR's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 540
A few misc birds from Playa Del Ray, Ca today

First bird is some kind of Grebe. I can't decide if it's an Eared or Horned.

Second bird image is very blurry (sorry). Small rock bird. Light brown above, and white below. Yellowy legs, pinkish bill, and a white eye-ring. Any ideas?

Third bird is another rock bird. Small peep like bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0248.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	73806  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0241.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	73807  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0271.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	73808  
PONYRCR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 23:39   #2
BirdsPeru
Alejandro Tabini

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lima - Peru
Posts: 766
Hi Ponyrcr,

Picture 1: Looks like a Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus)
Picture 2: Looks like a Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularia)
Picture 3: Looks like a Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)

Maybe wrong but this looks to me and better wait for someone from the US to answer

Alejandro
BirdsPeru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 23:40   #3
lewis20126
Registered User
 
lewis20126's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 8,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYRCR
First bird is some kind of Grebe. I can't decide if it's an Eared or Horned.

Second bird image is very blurry (sorry). Small rock bird. Light brown above, and white below. Yellowy legs, pinkish bill, and a white eye-ring. Any ideas?

Third bird is another rock bird. Small peep like bird.
1. Slavonian / Horned Grebe
2. Spotted Sandpiper
3. Least Sandpiper

Good birding
Alan
lewis20126 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 00:40   #4
AmpelisChinito
Cedar Waxwing Chairman
 
AmpelisChinito's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 732
I agree on those, and I'm from the USA, so my opinion is the one that REALLY matters.
__________________
-Sean
Eastern United States Bird Photography-
http://www.naturephotography.smugmug.com/
Ohio Wesleyan University 2011, for zoology with an emphasis on ornithology under Dr. Jed Burtt, the president-elect of the American Ornithologists Union.
AmpelisChinito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 04:34   #5
newarkbirdguy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 66
Agree on 1 being Horned Grebe (Slavonian to some of the audience...I love the foreign name differences) and 3 being Least Sandpiper...

But let's open up the discussion on number 2. I'd like to throw Wandering Tattler in to the mix. The Wandering Tattler has yellow legs, is rather nondescript, similar to a non-breeding plumage Spotted.

Now I agree that the bird in the photo looks a little better for a Spotted Sandpiper than a Wandering Tattler, but we're seeing one frame, sorta blurry (but better than any of my photos). However, a Spotted Sandpiper is an inland shorebird and Playa Del Rey is right on the coast. Also, look at those clams in the photo; that's where a Wandering Tattler is going to be found. If you do some googling and find pictures of Tattlers, those clam shells are in most of the photos. See a couple links below.

So I could be converted, but I'd say Wandering Tattler.

PONYRCR, a Spotted Sandpiper has a habit of bobbing its tail incessantly. If you watched the bird for any amount of time you would notice it. Do you remember this bird doing that?

Andy - Newark, CA

;-) ...and my opinion matters even more than AmpelisChinito's, since I not only live in the USA, but California (albeit 362 miles north of Playa Del Rey)! Of course, I'll be trumped by any Orange County birders about to chime in. :-)


http://www.roysephotos.com/zzWanderingTattler4D.jpg
http://www.waders.org/photos/recent/..._15-58-01.html
newarkbirdguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 04:38   #6
chubri777
Registered User
 
chubri777's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: canoga park, ca.
Posts: 384
I tend to agree with Wandering Tattler
Here is a similar pic I took of one in Monterey Ca a couple of years ago for comparison to JoAnne's picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wandering Tattler.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	73818  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0241.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	73819  

Last edited by chubri777 : Monday 26th February 2007 at 04:43.
chubri777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 05:03   #7
newarkbirdguy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 66
I'm still sticking with Wandering Tattler, but Chubri's photo shows the one thing about JoAnne's bird that I don't like for Tattler; the short wingtips. Your photo, and all the others I found a few minutes ago, show that Tattler's wings extend beyond the tip of the tail. JoAnne's bird looks like it has wingtips that are just even with or shorter than the tip of the tail. But habitat still makes me lean toward Wandering Tattler.

Andy - Newark, CA

...who is still the closest thing to a local to contribute to this thread, being some 50 miles closer to LA than Chubri! :-)
newarkbirdguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 05:14   #8
chubri777
Registered User
 
chubri777's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: canoga park, ca.
Posts: 384
After tweaking on the orig photo, I also see a Spotted Sandpiper. I agree with Newarks statement regarding the clams though. So now it's seems we are all in agreement.

LOL...Gentoo is closer, where is he when we need him?
chubri777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 05:21   #9
Chris Benesh
So much work, so little time...so let's go birding!
 
Chris Benesh's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,562
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkbirdguy
I'm still sticking with Wandering Tattler, but Chubri's photo shows the one thing about JoAnne's bird that I don't like for Tattler; the short wingtips. Your photo, and all the others I found a few minutes ago, show that Tattler's wings extend beyond the tip of the tail. JoAnne's bird looks like it has wingtips that are just even with or shorter than the tip of the tail. But habitat still makes me lean toward Wandering Tattler.

Andy - Newark, CA

...who is still the closest thing to a local to contribute to this thread, being some 50 miles closer to LA than Chubri! :-)
Okay, so I'm not normally as close, but since I've been stuck at the airport in Los Angeles (LAX) for several hours, I guess that I'm close enough at the moment. The two candidates under consideration are rather similar. But NBG, you are on the right track in talking yourself into Spotted Sandpiper, for that is indeed what it is. In addition to the structural differences you point out, Spotted Sandpiper is a browner bird than the very grayish tattler. The mystery bird is distinctly brownish. Also, the face pattern differs between the two candidates. A tattler should have a bold whitish supraloral stripe (eyebrow between bill and eye) and no postocular stripe, unlike the mystery bird. On the other hand, that works for Spotted Sandpiper, which show a pale postocular supercillium and a variable supraloral stripe (mostly absent on the mystery bird). Another clearcut feature is the color of the flanks. They should be gray on a tattler, not the snowy white they are on Spotted Sandpiper and the mystery bird.

Chris
__________________
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."
James Dewar
visit my blog
visit my website
Chris Benesh is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th February 2007, 05:43   #10
PONYRCR
Registered User
 
PONYRCR's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Benesh
Okay, so I'm not normally as close, but since I've been stuck at the airport in Los Angeles (LAX) for several hours, I guess that I'm close enough at the moment. The two candidates under consideration are rather similar. But NBG, you are on the right track in talking yourself into Spotted Sandpiper, for that is indeed what it is. In addition to the structural differences you point out, Spotted Sandpiper is a browner bird than the very grayish tattler. The mystery bird is distinctly brownish. Also, the face pattern differs between the two candidates. A tattler should have a bold whitish supraloral stripe (eyebrow between bill and eye) and no postocular stripe, unlike the mystery bird. On the other hand, that works for Spotted Sandpiper, which show a pale postocular supercillium and a variable supraloral stripe (mostly absent on the mystery bird). Another clearcut feature is the color of the flanks. They should be gray on a tattler, not the snowy white they are on Spotted Sandpiper and the mystery bird.

Chris
LAX is closet to Playa Del Rey. In fact it's just North of the airport.

One more picture of the mystery bird...Sorry it's even more blurry then the first.

This picture makes it look a bit more grey, but the bird was a light brown color. Definately not grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spotted Sandpiper.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	73820  
PONYRCR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 05:46   #11
newarkbirdguy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 66
Chris, thanks for chiming in and adding to the discussion. Who hasn't waited for a flight at LAX? For those of you who haven't you've probably been stuck at O'Hare, LaGuardia, or Hartfield Intl...just imagine those experiences and remove the charms, and you have an idea of what being stuck at LAX is like. It really isn't like the move "The Terminal" at all.

Also Chris, thanks for the added comments. I can lean more and more toward Spotted now... ;-)

Andy - Newark, CA
newarkbirdguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 07:44   #12
Chris Benesh
So much work, so little time...so let's go birding!
 
Chris Benesh's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,562
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkbirdguy
Chris, thanks for chiming in and adding to the discussion. Who hasn't waited for a flight at LAX? For those of you who haven't you've probably been stuck at O'Hare, LaGuardia, or Hartfield Intl...just imagine those experiences and remove the charms, and you have an idea of what being stuck at LAX is like. It really isn't like the move "The Terminal" at all.
LOL! Since I am stuck at LAX for at least another hour, I thought I would throw out another point that I forgot to mention earlier. The bill. That is, the bird has the bill of a Spotted Sandpiper. For starters, it is too short for a Tattler bill. PONYRCR noted that the bill looked pinkish in the field, and the bill of Spotted is often rather pinky-tan in color, whereas the bill of a tattler is generally dark grayish with a dull yellowish-horn color restricted to the base of the mandible.

Chris

In L.A. hoping my plane comes sometime soon!
__________________
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."
James Dewar
visit my blog
visit my website
Chris Benesh is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th February 2007, 09:05   #13
Th_SQ
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 739
Second one looks like a typical Spotted Sandpiper for me.
Th_SQ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where have all the birds gone? Chris Monk Birds & Birding 10 Tuesday 30th January 2007 18:42
Portugal 1999 trip report Reader Vacational Trip Reports 6 Monday 14th August 2006 15:39
Bats eat birds on the wing peter hayes Birds & Birding 8 Sunday 29th June 2003 12:44
Spain, Costa del Sol, trip report 2002 Reader Vacational Trip Reports 3 Thursday 22nd May 2003 13:47
Scotland 2002 trip report Reader Vacational Trip Reports 13 Monday 2nd December 2002 20:16

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21404004 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:06.