• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds in sandwell valley country park. (1 Viewer)

sue webster

sept 3rd.RSPB Sandwell --crow,robin,jackdaw, BHG,m allard,canada geese,heron, coot,moorhen,pied wagtail, little ringed plover,andpectoral sandpiper flewfrom lake island over river to small pool behind trees. Forge Mill lake---swan, teal, tufted duck,BHGs, and magpie and great tit. the teal had just arrived. Swan Pool.------pochard,great crested brebe and 3 chicks,BHGs,mallard,great spotted woodpecker in tree,chiffchaff, great tit. Sandwell Park Farm---house martin,magpie, wood pigeon,swallow,. The swallows were numerous and as i had my luch inthe picnic area I watched parent birds feeding newly fledged chicks. Wonder if the chicks will make the journey to Africa? Also saw lots of dragonflies--must be a good year for them! sue

Glad you still have swallows there, ours seem to have left this area, but they may be a little further across the county as this is a small frost pocket place, when all around are still warm we are getting cold, but the real chill comes in the late winter, when we can be snowed in but less than 2miles over they are completely clear!! Wierd but wonderful. Nina.

Sue, sounds like you had a great day with the birds!

Perhaps you'll think about registering for the GGBC 2, and 'covering' Sandwell? Great excuse for another day out in the park!

You'll find details on the Member's Notice Board.

Sue, hello,
Can I ask, do you bird alone in the valley? The reason I ask is that I, and a couple of female friends ,all birders, have never felt really comfortable being there and I would have said without hesitation that I would never go there on my own. Your experience seems different. I know other female birders hesitate to go to other inner city sites where there have been problems in the past and even certain rural sites are not places I would go alone. Am I being paranoid? Is it my age (Senior) ? I hasten to add that I have never experienced any problems and certainly never from fellow birders. What do other lady birders feel?
Barbara

Swallows

Hi Nina ,thanks for message .Sorry to hear your swallows seem to havr#e gone. I will be at Sandwell Farm next Sun so will see if they are still there------theres a Horse Parade there and some friends from church and I hope to go and see them, one friend goes riding.I will let you know from Sue.

birding alone

hi Barbara thanks for your message. Y es ,I do most of my birding on my own as I simply have no-one to go with. I am at Sandwell Valley quite often and guess I have got used to going on my own. However if you would like to go sometime then I am would like to possibly meet up with you and we could go birding. What do you think ? Let me know. bye from Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back