Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 28th February 2007, 23:43   #1
oleaf

Leupold 6x30 Yosemite (pic added)

Moved to Leupold page.

Last edited by oleaf : Thursday 1st March 2007 at 17:19. Reason: added pic
Old Thursday 1st March 2007, 02:02   #2
m_aniket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleaf
Hello,

Just received a set of Leupold 6x30 Yosemite’s for my daughter. Right from the beginning I was impressed… from the packaging to the case to the strap (which is a very nice soft neoprene.)

The only other binoculars I have to compare against are my Audubon Equinox HP’s which I consider to be a nice set of glasses for the price.

OK… so, the 6x30’s are as bright, a little sharper, are just as neutral (these had no color bias or cast that I could see) and have much more forgiving DOF. My daughter is 9 and we always head down to the CT River to eagle spot.
I think these will be just right. Lightweight too! In hand they honestly feel like a $250 pair of binos… and I think they actually have optics equal to this price range as well!

These have a very small interpupil distance when closed down, one of the main reasons I decided to get these.

After trying them in the woods for a couple hours I am placing another order tomorrow for myself.

These were the red versions. Although they are described as red they are more like deep terracotta color… very nice and a break from the ubiquitous sage green, black, grey, etc.

I’ll try to post photos next to the Equinox if anyone wants to see size comparison.

Best part… B&H has them for $79 for the red and $89 for black.

These little glasses are very impressive.

Cheers,

Oleaf
I second that. I have owned a pair for several months now - my very first pair of binoculars!. I had gone to the store to buy a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42s but after seeing how well the Leupold stood up against the Monarch in terms of sharpness, brightness and build and noting the price difference (> $150), I ended up buying them. I have been very happy with their performance in day-to-day use, even when the light is low, though sometimes I wish I had more magnification (but I guess that will be true regardless of how much magnification I have at hand ).

The only concern I have had is the recent appearance of some kind of spots (like those left by water drops drying up) on the lenses. I haven't been able to clean them and I guess they have something to do with fogging inside -though the glasses are supposed to be water and fog proof (I think they are nitrogen purged - not sure). I haven't noticed any difference in performance though but that might just be my inexperience. Any advice on this would be helpful.

Aniket
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: