Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Thursday 10th November 2011, 18:41   #3651
Lykos

fantastic paintings

http://lykos1003.cabanova.com/
Old Tuesday 15th November 2011, 03:15   #3652
phil baber
artist for birds

One major criticism Nick!

You are not ME! (And I am not Nick Derry!)

And I wish I could have done a string of beauties like these!

Off the scale in many multi-media ways! Eclectic in explosive and warm ways.

Life pumps out of them. Not over-worked. Each, a suggestion of reality and experience. Just enough to vibrate the frequencies needed. Very special.

When I strive for complication, I learn from you, that suggestion and simplicity is the key.

It is "the leaving out of over-working" that is your strength. And that comes fron a "sketch-mind." Aspirational!

Last edited by phil baber : Tuesday 15th November 2011 at 03:18.
Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 16:38   #3653
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

Clear the table!

After several months absence from the thread, the dining room table has been well and truly cleared away. Some of you may already know, but the dining room table belonged to Sébastien and we decided to call it a day with our relationship in November. Apologies for not being very present here during that time, normally in difficult situations I throw myself into painting, but I just didn't feel any real inspiration to pick up the brushes - I managed to get plenty of birding done though! Being single certainly has that advantage! I just wanted to share some of the last few works to come from the 'table', before it becomes part of the past.

We had a lingering red-throated diver at Osselle at the end of the year, I couldn't resist capturing the moment as its path from one pool to another coincided with a flock of rooks going to roost, the bullfinch is from last spring in the upland forests, we have a misty buzzard and one of two rock buntings that were present on my patch for me and me alone - as nobody else managed to find them, I found them three days apart (early bird and all that!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 006.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	372138  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 007.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	372139  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	372140  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 009.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	372141  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	372142  

Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 16:47   #3654
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

and a few more - so as the table is cleared, where do we go now? Well, a new thread will be born, (probably tomorrow as the light's gone for today!) I've been living in my little bachelor pad for a month now, it's rather good, a nice studio for painting with a kitchenette in one corner and a bed in the other - what I've always dreamed of really. There are trees outside my window and already I've got Short-toed treecreepers, greenfinches, tits and chaffinches outside, and a few days ago a few red kites drifted over.

And so to end, a great grey shrike (no longer my biggest bogey bird - I've had the privilege of Captain Excubitor's company three times this winter), a few trips to the top of Franche-Comté (1400m) in November's unreasonably mild weather gave me my lifer Alpine Accentors on the third trip, along with a Snow Bunting for good measure (there is still a painting to do of the Pygmy Owl I got on trip two - where Zippy broke down), and the last painting to come from the dining room table, the Pallid Harrier that had been seen one day and that I went looking for two days later, surprisingly, I saw it - and very nice it was too!

So, thank you for dining with me, clear your plates and good guests do the washing up after! See you "Chez moi" for the next chapter.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	372144  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	372145  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 008.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	372146  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 010.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	372147  Click image for larger version

Name:	paintings end 002.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	372149  

Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 18:17   #3655
colleenc

so sorry Nick, this time of transition can be so hard, even if it is for the best most times, all that energy going into a relationship, wondering what the heck it was all about. Smart Boy you just picked up your brush again, and Kazam! brilliant work, even more sure and solid than before. Great maturity here and your usual dazzle, but something new, a sureness of line and the compositions fresh exciting, out of the box but seemingly effortlessly balanced Bravo. Sad to leave the table, but since you are offering a new venue to bask in your amazing art, I'm willing to get up, just throw my dishes out, less stuff to move that way

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 20:51   #3656
mattybohan

worth the wait!
Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 22:57   #3657
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenc View Post
so sorry Nick, this time of transition can be so hard, even if it is for the best most times, all that energy going into a relationship, wondering what the heck it was all about. Smart Boy you just picked up your brush again, and Kazam! brilliant work, even more sure and solid than before. Great maturity here and your usual dazzle, but something new, a sureness of line and the compositions fresh exciting, out of the box but seemingly effortlessly balanced Bravo. Sad to leave the table, but since you are offering a new venue to bask in your amazing art, I'm willing to get up, just throw my dishes out, less stuff to move that way
Hey Nick! Nice to see such imaginative work again. I have to agree with most of what Colleen's written both on a personal and artistic level. Seeing these is like the early arrival of spring - something you don't know how much you missed until you experience it.

As usual you show how a special sighting can then be transformed into an equally special painting with the use of artistic imagination and skill. I'm partial to the very first one but each one offers something striking.

Welcome back!

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 23:28   #3658
ARTHUR BISHOP

Can only agree with the above.
You've certainly brightened this winter up now .good to see you back mate and looking forward to just sitting back and admiring your talents

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 10:17   #3659
oivind egeland

Hello Nick,
I spent most of last night and this morning looking through your thread, and I am left with an artistic hangover. I am a bit worried that I might have to re-think my approach to the field of bird art! I do know one thing: While I consider my own attempts so far to be illustration work, yours are definately works of art - even your field sketches. You are like a mix of Lars Jonsson and Matisse, and I'm allready a big fan! I'm looking forward to a lot of inspiration, and one day I think I'll have a Derry! on my wall.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 10:48   #3660
ed keeble

you are back- how marvellous!

and undimmed

best wishes for new thread in life and artistic

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 18:04   #3661
Hobbes2

Hi Nick
A welcome return - good to see you posting again. Here's to your new home 'in here' and 'out there'. I echo Phil Baber's words and hope that in time you'll find the space and energy to enjoy creating once again...
With all good wishes,
Hobbes
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 18:07   #3662
Ayuwat J

After going through this thread, I feel honoured to be complimented by you. I just love your wryneck painting!
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 18:29   #3663
mark richards

well you certainly haven't lost your talent... welcome back....mark.
Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 13:30   #3664
buzzard12

New beginings Nick, this thread has been nothing short of inspirational, what a way to finish it...

The cool toned, wing stretching Snow Bunt is quite wonderful, whilst the Rooks and Red-throated Diver are pure Derry, who else could put these two species together. The second Accentor piece is brilliant....

Look forward to the new thread and nice to hear your out birding and enjoying that side of life, its a real solace in hard times....
Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 17:17   #3665
JTMB

Welcome back Nick and inspiring work as always! I've been absent from the forum for a long time as well but am recuperating from knee surgery on Friday so have lots of time in the recliner to get back here and peruse the outstanding work. Yours is always particularly excellent and inspirational!
www.johntubbsart.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 19:14   #3666
RussB
Going for Gold

Welcome back, Nick!
I, along with many others, thought you'd left BF to form some 'professionals only' blog or something with Mr. Wooton!
Tut, tut - I can be soooo cynical!
From this point on I'll be visiting your new thread. Just gotta say that the RTD and GGS are simply phenominal. I'm feeling newly inspired already!

Russ
Old Wednesday 7th March 2012, 00:41   #3667
Lykos

hi Nick..great that you are back

and the painings are different from before ..more intense

http://lykos1003.cabanova.com/
Old Monday 19th March 2012, 17:59   #3668
timwootton

I always was a terrible house-guest. It's taken me all this time to get off the couch and clear away my plate - and what a feast has been served. These final pieces have all the dynamism and eloquent craft which has become your signature but there's also a very distinct maturity and, in some, a quite brooding and dramatic undertone - bravo. I think this is the next stage for your development as the complete artist - the new phase in your life, and work, look sure to be the springboard to superstardom and not a moment too soon.
So - I'll put my plate unwashed on the side and, like the very finest of fare, will reflect on tastes sumptuous and delicious impossible to describe. Wonderful . . . . .
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: