Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 07:30   #51
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

What an excellent composition for the painting, I like it, but it's hard for other people to see and understand what akes an artist unhappy with his own work. If this were my picture, one little thing I would do is, where the mist disappears behind the outcrop, I'd have it fading into grey a bit more, as (at least on the uploaded photo, it seems to be in front of the foreground, being white). This pic is a fantastic idea and 99 % of it is a great success. You'll find the 1% of it that needs some work if you keep thinking of it.
It's about time I did some new paintings rather than returning to old ones to paint over them!
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 10:39   #52
Wildwood

Some lovely work. Please keep then coming..
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 14:42   #53
nickderry

update time!

Here's a new installment of pictures, the robin (is not my favourite) is a brand new pic, so is the wallcreeper (back to the obsession!) the pied fly is a rework of a pic from a couple of years back, and here are the garganeys back from the framers!

I've also got my first pics accepted by a local gallery! woo hoo, they've taken the marsh tit, from this thread, an acrylic of a heron in the rapids and the 'misty' wallcreeper (the one with the dead seedheads in it). Let's just hope they sell!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	artstuff23307 004.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	77065  Click image for larger version

Name:	artstuff23307 005.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	77066  Click image for larger version

Name:	artstuff23307 003.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	77067  Click image for larger version

Name:	artstuff23307 002.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	77068  
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 17:59   #54
ARTHUR BISHOP

nice set of pic's, like the pied. luck in the gallery although you wont need it, arthur

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 18:12   #55
timwootton

First things first - many congrats on the gallery placement, I'm certain your work will prove to be a huge success - you,re already a massive hit with the discerning members of BirdForum so 'the rest of the world' should be a doddle!
Another lovely group of colourwork, Nick - the Pied Flycatcher is triumph! Bravo, all round.
(The one thing which does really puzzle me, though - is how come you're only just 'galleryizing' your work - I would have thought you'd have your work placed all over the shop! - I look forward to hearing what you have to say in response.)

Last edited by timwootton : Friday 23rd March 2007 at 18:14.
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 20:57   #56
nickderry

Good question that Tim, maybe because the only other time's I've had the courage to walk into a gallery and ask about displaying my work, I've reeked of dutch courage, so I've always been told no!
I hope they prove popular, though the French are more into hunting than watching, a country where badger baiting is shown on the telly, there are no magazines about birdwatching but about 10 about woodcock hunting and things such as blackbird, spotted redshank and skylark are on the list of huntable species. If I could paint a few more woodcock I'd be made.
Old Friday 23rd March 2007, 22:46   #57
peter mathios

Nice paintings and congratulations on the gallery!
www.mathiosstudios.net
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 03:33   #58
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry
Good question that Tim, maybe because the only other time's I've had the courage to walk into a gallery and ask about displaying my work, I've reeked of dutch courage, so I've always been told no!
I hope they prove popular, though the French are more into hunting than watching, a country where badger baiting is shown on the telly, there are no magazines about birdwatching but about 10 about woodcock hunting and things such as blackbird, spotted redshank and skylark are on the list of huntable species. If I could paint a few more woodcock I'd be made.

I would think you have a really bright future with regerd to galleries and hopefully further down the road, exhibitions Nick. Your work is already of the highest quality and improving steadily.
The Pied Fly is superb and a great example of your attention to habitat and the subjects relationshp to it. The Garganey/Teasel piece is again a wonderful juxaposition of bird and environment. Good luck with the gallery hangings. Bear in mind there is no reason not to cotact others in the Uk and sell your work there also. Personally I think it will only go well for you..
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 16:02   #59
Woody

I've already commented in the gallery on the pied fly and the wallcreeper, bothe lovely. The gargany look ace in their frame, I love it when a painting comes back from the framers and you get to see the finished article for the first time.

Well done on the gallery, I must admit to being very surprised that you weren't already in any number of galleries.

Woody
Old Sunday 25th March 2007, 00:26   #60
nickderry

After spending a lot of time recently painting over old pictures, today I started work on some new pieces of paper, I'd forgotten how much I hate starting a new piece, getting to sketch in the last bird, realising the composition isn't as balanced as the comp. sketch and the only thing to do is rub out and start again. I agree with, and admire all those that say rubbers are evil and should be avoided, but it certainly saves a lot of work from going in the bin!
Anyway, enough waffling, finally managed to remember how to draw (with the help of a rubber) and had a lot of fun splashing paint over wax crayons in a new version of last autumn's chaffinches and brambling pic (I like this one a lot more, the light and rhythm is more how I wanted to paint the birds originally), and a totally new pic of a lesser pecker, simply because they're one of my favourite birds and I never ever saw enough of them in Britain.

Pics that are in the pipeline (ie composition sketches made), a letterbox shape pic of 3 cirl buntings on a pile of cut sticks, some coots, a water rail (or the ripples it made) and a male sparrowhawk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	artstuff23307 009.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	77239  Click image for larger version

Name:	artstuff23307 007.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	77240  
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 17:05   #61
nickderry

Here's a progress report of the middle spotted woodpecker, a first version that turned out to be a bit boring, and (rare for me these days) a pure watercolour that I'm quite pleased with. Having trouble typing as I'm on the phone speaking French and typing English, stop typing now, add pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zerfgh 001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	77580  Click image for larger version

Name:	zerfgh 003.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	77581  
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 17:09   #62
ARTHUR BISHOP

all just great pictures

Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 23:12   #63
timwootton

The woodies are very nice. I actually like the first one a huge amount - when you say it's boring, do you mean comp. colour. design or what? - maybe you should allow one of the swelling buds a bit of licence and break open into sap-green leaf. May add that bit of something you're looking for?
And what's the problem with talking French and typing English??? - tut! kids of today - I regularly scream an obscene Yorkshire dialect at the girls whilst coherently typing boll*cks at the same time.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 09:41   #64
nickderry

The thing I find boring in the first one is it just looks like a blurred photo, a bird in some branches. The second one, though it might not (can't) be everyone's cup of tea, has a lot more interest for me, there's a bit more intimacy with the bird, the first one I find has too much of an element of being a spectator.
I've no problem speaking French out of my mouth and English out of my a*se at the same time, but I think the typing part of my brain is linked to speech, as I ended up typing French and reading out what I had written to somebody who hadn't a clue what I was on about.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 09:52   #65
Woody

I think I see what you mean Nick, although I would be proud of either of these pics. The second one does have the edge for me. The composition is masterful but then that's what we know to expect from any of your work. It also has wonderful colour, the red on the pecker's head really pops against the lilacs and blues.

Woody
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 18:44   #66
nickderry

I think I've hit the nail on the head with the first one, as to why I don't like it. The buds are virtually everywhere, filling up every available gap and making the background look more like wallpaper. In the second pic, I deliberately decided on the composition of the branches first before slotting the woodpecker in the top.

Had an afternoon birding today, hoping to get a passing black stork, got just one passing black kite and a lot of buzzards, am tempted to post a sketch on the id forum pass it off as a bad photo of an 'unidentified' buzzard and see how many people try to count the primaries and turn it into a goose or something. Sketching wise, unproductive, a close flyover sparrowhawk may be turned into a picture. (The sketch of it, not the actual bird, that would be cruel and very difficult to do)
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 11:53   #67
nickderry

Still working on some new pictures, there's a water rail coming along slowly (not like me at all but lots of other work and driving lessons to distract me) Think tonight I'll crack open some cheap nasty wine, yum, and try and finish it.

I keep searching through older pictures to see if I can give them a new lease of life with a new coat of paint, the latest victim is this grey wagtail:
Grey Wagtail

I'm much happier with the bird now than its deformed predecessor:
Old deformed Grey Wagtail
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 17:54   #68
peter mathios

Quote:
I keep searching through older pictures to see if I can give them a new lease of life with a new coat of paint, the latest victim is this grey wagtail:
Grey Wagtail

I'm much happier with the bird now than its deformed predecessor:
Old deformed Grey Wagtail
I like it! There is much more contrast and it is alot more three dimensional than it's predecessor. Nice job...
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 18:39   #69
nickderry

Busy busy busy,

The music's up loud, the housework is done (or being ignored) and the paint is flowing (along with other interesting beverages - well, I'm not at work till Monday, let the good times roll)

New painting in progress, a water rail from my new year visit back to the UK and the old local patch of Belvide reservoir in Staffs. I won't tell you where he is in the picture as I'm going for it doing a vanishing at in the finished piece.

Also here is a pic of the artist in his 'dining room', bottles containing the necessary materials for painting are visiblein the background, along with a pack of ASDA malted milk biscuits lovingly sent cross channel by my mother. France is certainly lacking in the biscuit department, or am I just still too British at heart?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chailluzmarch.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	78079  Click image for larger version

Name:	chailluzmarch 011.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	78080  
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 18:51   #70
nickderry

ps, If anyone's got any tips on painting dead reeds, I could do with them. I nearly always lose any spontaneity on them at the end of the piece, giving them all the allure and attractiveness of a botanical illustration.

Drink more is the piece of advice I'm following at the moment. Not sure it's the best plan. Maybe get off the computer and paint would work better?!
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 20:59   #71
nickderry

progress report:

this evening is turning into a p*ss up and not a painting session, I do promise however to post the resulting mess. Whatever it turns out like!

Still I'm having fun! yippeeeeee
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 22:41   #72
jomo

I'm already finding that Rail piece rather exciting, Nick (wonderful rippling reflections, water can be such a tough thing to get right but you don't bat an eye).
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 22:41   #73
Woody

Smile

Quote:
progress report:

this evening is turning into a p*ss up and not a painting session, I do promise however to post the resulting mess. Whatever it turns out like!

Still I'm having fun! yippeeeeee
Good for you Nick!

I've gotta go pick up my son from a party now so no booze for me! Hope you enjoy tomorrow morning too?!!!

Woody
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 22:53   #74
nickderry

Cheers guys, I'll probably still be up tomorrow morning, the only strategy to beat a hangover! Here's how it's coming along anyway - no real plan with it, just playing and waiting for more inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chailluzmarch 012.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	78137  
Old Saturday 31st March 2007, 23:45   #75
ARTHUR BISHOP

Its coming along nicely, from the photo are you painting this from under the table?

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: