Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 488 votes, 4.79 average.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 21:47   #6301
UW82

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton-till-i-die View Post
Hopefully Des and the Wednesday crew will have a veritable avalanche of good sightings today.
No such luck Phil from a much depleted crew.

FLASHES:
Green Sands (9)----------------Common Sands (2)
Dunin----------------------------Redshank
Lapwing (c80)-------------------Teal(5)
Common Tern (3)---------------B H Gull (201)
Little Owl------------------------Greylag Geese (14)
Whitethroat---------------------Peregrine
Sparrowhawk

MOORS:
Tufted Duck broods 2:3--------Water Rail
Herring Gull---------------------G C Grebve(4)
Little Grebe---------------------Sand Martin (6)
Swift

HEN POOL:
Reed Warbler (2)

For the record, AFJ saw one LRP on the 9th but did not put it in the log-book.

Des.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:30   #6302
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Never mind Des - the Dunlin and Redshank shows that there is some wader passage at the moment, who knows what the mixed up weather over the next few days may bring.

Just as a taster, Saturday will be the 23rd anniversary of the appearance the rarest bird in Upton Warren's history, Least Sandpiper (33 records for Britain in total, the Upton bird then only being the 23rd). Interestingly the week prior saw very little in the way of Yankee waders in the country (just one Baird's and one Stilt Sand in west Ireland) so anything is possible.

Whilst I have seen the formal description of the Least Sand and heard a few tales, would it be possible for someone to post the story about how the bird was found / identified, the news disseminated and how the twitch evolved over the next two days (pre pagers, t'interweb etc).
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:39   #6303
PeterE

Which hide is it?
In the Worcestershire Wildlife magazine that I have just received there is on page 26 a photograph of the Duke of Edinburgh visiting Upton Warren. However, I can't recognise the hide shown in the background. Any ideas?

Peter
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:05   #6304
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
Which hide is it?
In the Worcestershire Wildlife magazine that I have just received there is on page 26 a photograph of the Duke of Edinburgh visiting Upton Warren. However, I can't recognise the hide shown in the background. Any ideas?

Peter
It's the former East Hide at the Moors Pool that was replaced around 2001 with the new hide that was 10 metres further south and also set back. It used to take about 2.5 people and for 6 months of the year you had to wade through mud/water to reach it. Progress can be a good thing!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:05   #6305
UW82

Quote:
Never mind Des - the Dunlin and Redshank shows that there is some wader passage at the moment, who knows what the mixed up weather over the next few days may bring.

Just as a taster, Saturday will be the 23rd anniversary of the appearance the rarest bird in Upton Warren's history, Least Sandpiper (33 records for Britain in total, the Upton bird then only being the 23rd). Interestingly the week prior saw very little in the way of Yankee waders in the country (just one Baird's and one Stilt Sand in west Ireland) so anything is possible.

Whilst I have seen the formal description of the Least Sand and heard a few tales, would it be possible for someone to post the story about how the bird was found / identified, the news disseminated and how the twitch evolved over the next two days (pre pagers, t'interweb etc).
Upstarts1979 is your man- I was in turkey!

Des.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:06   #6306
UW82

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW82 View Post

Des.
Turkey!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:09   #6307
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Quote:
Turkey!
Probably cold turkey if you had known what was waiting for you back at Upton
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:43   #6308
Spoonbill Finder

Quote:
No such luck Phil from a much depleted crew.

FLASHES:
Green Sands (9)----------------Common Sands (2)
Dunin----------------------------Redshank
Lapwing (c80)-------------------Teal(5)
Common Tern (3)---------------B H Gull (201)
Little Owl------------------------Greylag Geese (14)
Whitethroat---------------------Peregrine
Sparrowhawk

MOORS:
Tufted Duck broods 2:3--------Water Rail
Herring Gull---------------------G C Grebve(4)
Little Grebe---------------------Sand Martin (6)
Swift

HEN POOL:
Reed Warbler (2)

For the record, AFJ saw one LRP on the 9th but did not put it in the log-book.

Des.
Nothing much to add to your sightings Des, other than that I did see a total of 7 Common Terns at the Flashes before you arrived. I also managed to capture an image of this male Southern Hawker at rest along the Salwarpe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Southern HawkerNew_1_DSCF0616.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	341286  
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 07:52   #6309
Gertatron
Gert Corfield

Popped into the Flashes this morning;

1 Dunlin
5 Green Sandpiper
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Redshank
1 LRP
c70 Lapwing
Willow Warbler in song
Reed Warbler
Peregrine shuffled the pack

Cheers

Gert
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 10:38   #6310
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertatron View Post
Popped into the Flashes this morning;

1 Dunlin
5 Green Sandpiper
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Redshank
1 LRP
c70 Lapwing
Willow Warbler in song
Reed Warbler
Peregrine shuffled the pack

Cheers

Gert
Wilkommen mein heir (spelling ? I did do deutsch at school- but wasn't sehr gut) aufwierdesehen
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 11:10   #6311
upstarts1979

Quote:

Des.
Well it was a long time ago, but I will do my best.
I remember getting a phone call from SC to say that someone had got a little stint at the flashes and he was going to check it out. Within the hour SMW phoned to say he thought it was a least sand. I had been to Texas the previous year where I saw 100's and he said can I confirm it before we get the news out (remember no mobiles in those days and the nearest phone was half a mile away). A few minutes later, I had arrived on site and views through my bins revealed this was not a little stint and within a short time we were about to embark on the most historic ornithological event on the reserve.
I will sort out my note books and come back with more on this event.John

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Thursday 11th August 2011 at 11:21.
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 15:15   #6312
israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy V View Post
Blimey, I bet it's been a while since this thread went >24hrs without an update. Is this a reflection of a lull before the autumnal migratory storm...?
No Sy,i've been out birding yesterday and today, at Upton and Bittell, and can confirm its the lull before the lull.

Chris. T.
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 16:22   #6313
Gertatron
Gert Corfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
Wilkommen mein heir (spelling ? I did do deutsch at school- but wasn't sehr gut) aufwierdesehen
Dankeshoen mein Freund! I'll be listing birds in German at this rate..
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 20:23   #6314
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Quote:
Dankeshoen mein Freund! I'll be listing birds in German at this rate..
Something like this?

1 Alpenstrandlaufer
5 Waldwasserlaufer
1 Flussuferlaufer
1 Rotschenkel
1 Flussregenpfeifer
c70 Kiebitz
Titis
Teichrohrsanger
Wanderfalke das pack geshuffle
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 21:10   #6315
Gertatron
Gert Corfield

Quote:
Something like this?

1 Alpenstrandlaufer
5 Waldwasserlaufer
1 Flussuferlaufer
1 Rotschenkel
1 Flussregenpfeifer
c70 Kiebitz
Titis
Teichrohrsanger
Wanderfalke das pack geshuffle
Not bad Phil.
By the way, just having a bit of a Twitter chat about Swifts. Looks like they've mostly gone? I think a special effort to look out for them this weekend would be good

Last edited by Gertatron : Thursday 11th August 2011 at 21:14.
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 21:42   #6316
wheatearlp

11th August

A very quiet 2.5 hours at the Flashes led to much discussion with John about nothing in particular, punctuated by regular (JTB) or occasional (me) scans over an almost completely dry second flash. In addition to the Green Sandpipers (10 I think John counted before I arrived) and two Common Sandpipers there were singles of Redshank, Dunlin and Ringed Plover, 29 Curlews in the roost along with about 650-700 BHGs. There were seven Teal present and three Common Terns (1 adult & 2 juvs) and, briefly, three LBBGs (2 adults & 1 juv), as was the fox on the far shore of the second flash. JTB also heard a Willow Warbler earlier.

Mike
Old Thursday 11th August 2011, 21:50   #6317
upstarts1979

Birding today at the reserve

At the Moors From the east hide.
Initially was all quiet, until something (poss mink) spooked all the wildfowl from the lagoon and islands, after which they all gathered at the north end of the main pool.
Numbers were GCG 7, Little grebe juv, Mallard 410, Teal 3, Tufted 11 ads and 4 broods of chicks (4:4:3:2) Canadas 120, Greylag 15, Coot c200, mute swan 3, Lapwing c40, BHG c300, LBBG c25, Herring gull ad,
also a Kingfisher perched in the scrape. Small numbers of all 3 hirundines but NO swifts. Passerines were very quiet with only reed warbler and chiffchaff heard.
At the FLASHES
First of all I couldn't believe how low the water has gone I'll post photos tomorrow, suffice to say the 2nd Flash will be dry by Sunday if we don't have any rain by then. All the waders were feeding along the east shore of the 1st Flash and only occasionally did green sand or the redshank feed in the 2nd flash.
Totals: Teal 7, Mallard c300 (many from the Moors), Green Sand 8, Common Sand 2, Redshank (juv), Curlew 29, Lapwing 75, Dunlin (ad summer plum), Ringed plover (juv), BHG 650, LBBG 3, Grey heron 2, Stock dove c20, Willow warbler, chiffchaff
John
One thing we didn't discuss was who was going to post on here tonight ..I think we have just crossed over

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Thursday 11th August 2011 at 21:54.
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 06:48   #6318
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Quote:
At the FLASHES
First of all I couldn't believe how low the water has gone I'll post photos tomorrow, suffice to say the 2nd Flash will be dry by Sunday if we don't have any rain by then.
Raining heavily in Brum at the mo; hope it wont hold up England's march at the Test Match.

The BBC weather pages dont offer too much comfort rain-wise; drizzle at 4pm today, a light rain shower at 7am tomorrow and then light rain on Tuesday.
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 07:05   #6319
wheatearlp

Currently raining in Redditch, but not particularly heavily. Mind you, we have our own climate here in the 'ditch so there could be a heatwave in Upton Warren
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 07:10   #6320
Phil Andrews
Pratin' about

Green Sandpiper

With the return passage of Green Sandpiper now tailing off, it is encouraging to note that numbers have remained relatively high (peak count of 18 on the 30th July). Upton went through a 4 year spell between 2005 and 2008 where the peak annual counts were only 11 or 12 birds but numbers seem to have now recovered.

Upton remains one of the best sites in the country to observe Green Sand, often at close range and in direct comparison with Common Sands. A quick trawl through the RBA website found only a few sites that have exceeded our peak count of 18 birds this year:

Cantley Beet Factory, Norfolk - 45
Grove Ferry, Kent - 56
Elmley Marshes, Kent - 20
William Girling Res, London - 21

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Sand.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	341459  
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 08:12   #6321
Sy V

... not bad for a small muddy scrape in one of the UK's most landlocked counties.

My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 08:46   #6322
Gertatron
Gert Corfield

Ringed Plover,

Mike[/quote]

Must admit I thought it was a Ringed Plover Juv but staring into the sun yesterday morning it was difficult to make out ! I'll need to strike my report of LRP in the log book out
I am currently performing a rain dance on the Hagley Road, but can see blue lights in the distance coming my way..
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 09:09   #6323
upstarts1979

Quote:
Ringed Plover,

Mike
Must admit I thought it was a Ringed Plover Juv but staring into the sun yesterday morning it was difficult to make out ! I'll need to strike my report of LRP in the log book out
I am currently performing a rain dance on the Hagley Road, but can see blue lights in the distance coming my way..[/quote]

Not so sure about that Gert
I spoke to a couple of experienced birders from belvide, who said they had a plover but were adamant that it didn't have any wing bars. Last week a ringed plover appeared for 10 minutes and the LRP disappeared, to reappear after the RP flew off. Also yesterday Simon M (a very experienced birder) told me he had seen a reeve at the Flashes.
John
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 11:49   #6324
Gertatron
Gert Corfield

Quote:
I am currently performing a rain dance on the Hagley Road, but can see blue lights in the distance coming my way..
Not so sure about that Gert
I spoke to a couple of experienced birders from belvide, who said they had a plover but were adamant that it didn't have any wing bars. Last week a ringed plover appeared for 10 minutes and the LRP disappeared, to reappear after the RP flew off. Also yesterday Simon M (a very experienced birder) told me he had seen a reeve at the Flashes.
John[/quote]

Maybe the LRP and Ringy are in cahoots to confuse us Birders! That Redshank did look at bit Ruff - see what I did there
Old Friday 12th August 2011, 13:49   #6325
upstarts1979

Quote:
With the return passage of Green Sandpiper now tailing off, it is encouraging to note that numbers have remained relatively high (peak count of 18 on the 30th July). Upton went through a 4 year spell between 2005 and 2008 where the peak annual counts were only 11 or 12 birds but numbers seem to have now recovered.

Upton remains one of the best sites in the country to observe Green Sand, often at close range and in direct comparison with Common Sands. A quick trawl through the RBA website found only a few sites that have exceeded our peak count of 18 birds this year:

Cantley Beet Factory, Norfolk - 45
Grove Ferry, Kent - 56
Elmley Marshes, Kent - 20
William Girling Res, London - 21

Phil
Not too many years ago, Brandon (Warks) held the largest numbers in the West Mids in the autumn. So it would be interesting to know why there numbers have dropped so dramatically?

Perhaps our totals have increased in recent years because conditions have been ideal. This years total although still half decent, has seen a rapid drop off in recent days. Even the partially wing moulted adults have been forced to seek refuge elsewhere.
John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: