• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Excellent news! I'll be down later when the light improves.
See you in May then!!!:t:

Cracking pics of the Avo's etc plus to the work party 'a cracking job, well done'.:t::t:

JB, you're turning into a bit of a David Bailey!!!! You been watching Rob?:-O

The water level is a cracking image,nice and sharp:-O:-O

Absolutely right! It seems that anyone can take pictures of birds in flight and birds in trees and so on, but it takes a rare poetic soul like Simon's to recognise the artistic possibilities of such an objet trouve. He has brought out brilliantly the chromatic and tonal qualities of the paint and the contrasting essence of the wood: there is a real awareness of the integrity of the material not seen since Carl Andre's bricks at the Tate. Also Simon clearly intends us to see this decaying post surrounded by ever-flowing water as a symbol of humankind's existential predicament. Amazing work.

Peter

Absolutely right! It seems that anyone can take pictures of birds in flight and birds in trees and so on, but it takes a rare poetic soul like Simon's to recognise the artistic possibilities of such an objet trouve. He has brought out brilliantly the chromatic and tonal qualities of the paint and the contrasting essence of the wood: there is a real awareness of the integrity of the material not seen since Carl Andre's bricks at the Tate. Also Simon clearly intends us to see this decaying post surrounded by ever-flowing water as a symbol of humankind's existential predicament. Amazing work.

Peter

Peter would you believe it? That's exactly what I was going to write! 8-P
A beautiful piece of prose! :t: The post of piccie reviewer is yours. :-O

Rob

Some fine pics from everyone lately! Well done all & an extra well done for Sy who probably should have been in his sick bed! :t:

Watching Bob? Moi? 8-P

Incredible amount of work done by the Sunday crew! Respect! :t:

Rob

Peter

Peter
Sy only took the photo, because I asked him to let me know what the level was. Unfortunately he couldn't work out the scale markings. So I think his pic was more by accident than design.8-P :-O:-O

Peter would you believe it? That's exactly what I was going to write! 8-P
A beautiful piece of prose! :t: The post of piccie reviewer is yours. :-O

Rob

Yep and me but I put a précis version instead (above). I have spent the last half an hour looking up Peter's words. I was definitely off sick the day we did English literature at my Grammar school.:eek!:

And... breathe two-three!

Joking apart Sy, I forgot to take the reading yesterday so grateful for that.
There has been talk that the water level is too low. This time last year the level was at 0.47, that is 1cm higher than at present. There is a lot of rain due in the next couple of days which will bring the level up. We traditionally drop the water for the last work party, to assist us with the work. Tomorrow I will replace the sluice control.
B :)John
yesterday's work party team was a record equalling number with that of 2011.
great 'after' pics mate.

Flashes water level marker.

The attachment is a rule of thumb guide to the Flashes water levels at different times of the year. It shows how long certain levels are kept as such. Unfortunately the new sluice control was not installed due to the wet state of the ground. It is a very contentious subject. We face the dilemma of attracting passage waders, on one hand , but trying to preserve the 'safe island effect' for the breeding waders on the other. The whole situation is dependant on how much rain we get. We always err on the side of caution, by that I mean it is best to have too much water than not enough. We monitor the levels almost daily and attempt to keep them within a cm of the guide lines, in the attachment. Ideally we have enough water in the summer, which enables us to provide ideal conditions for the autumn passage.
B :)John

Last edited:
depth marker.
It can be seen that the level is below the guide line, so I will be closing the sluice tomorrow.

Attachments

• 22.depth marker.jpg
    22.depth marker.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
My addditions to todays image portfolio!

1. Water Rail
2. Gadwall
3. Oyc & Greylag.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB8155 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB8155 - Version 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 112
  • _ROB8152 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB8152 - Version 2.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 104
  • _ROB8092 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB8092 - Version 2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 88
Hi all,

Not entirely related to UW so apologies but I need help! If anyone has any photos of Monkwood near Grimley or of Dormice or associated photos could you please contact me by PMing me on here, it's for one of my University projects, thanks!

A few record shots taken before and after the work party.
1. The Sedge Warblers took longer to return than he expected!
2. Find the Avocets.
3. Frosty Snipe.
4. Seven Avocets on flashes.
5. Nice reflection.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 142
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 107
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 95
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 95
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
A few record shots taken before and after the work party.
1. The Sedge Warblers took longer to return then he expected!
2. Find the Avocets.
3. Frosty Snipe.
4. Seven Avocets on flashes.
5. Nice reflection.

Did you only have a skeleton crew on the work party then? :-O:-O:-O

Lovely shots Bob-the Snipe is a sparkler! :t:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back