Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 19th March 2007, 15:22   #1
Heathy

Differences in Otter and Mink swimming

I have seen 2 large mammals in the last couple of weeks, 1 was definetely a Mink swimming and at another location in Kent a distant mammal swimming. The Mink was swimming with its head and body visible creating a long dark shape whereas the other mammal was swimming with its head clear and then only a small part of its back visible, this created a head, water, back, water impression. Do these 2 species of mammal swim diferently and show the features i have described.

Marc Heath
Old Monday 19th March 2007, 15:59   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathy
I have seen 2 large mammals in the last couple of weeks, 1 was definetely a Mink swimming and at another location in Kent a distant mammal swimming. The Mink was swimming with its head and body visible creating a long dark shape whereas the other mammal was swimming with its head clear and then only a small part of its back visible, this created a head, water, back, water impression. Do these 2 species of mammal swim diferently and show the features i have described.

Marc Heath

Mink swimming on the surface typically show head, gap, hips and a thin tail.

Otters swimming on the surface typically show head, gap, mid-back (NOT hips), gap, broader flattened tail.

Both are of course dependent on water smoothness vs. waves, strenuousness of activity etc.

Size if anything else at all (even reeds or water plants) is in view ought to be a good clue: Mink are marginally bigger than Stoats, Otters are the size of big domestic cats or slim foxes.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: