Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 06:57   #1
Farnboro John

Lancs Eagle Owls

Newly announced breeding Eagle Owls in Lancashire on RBA last night: pair with 3 fledged young 3 miles North of Dunsop Bridge and 1/2 mile S of Whitendale Farm.

This area has a hell of a track record for raptors down the years (Golden Eagle, passage Ospreys, Rough-legged Buzzard, Goshawks etc, etc,) but presumably this announcement is to try to ensure through observer coverage that nothing untoward happens? I can't think why else a breeding site would be revealed.

John
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 07:47   #2
Collster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Newly announced breeding Eagle Owls in Lancashire on RBA last night: pair with 3 fledged young 3 miles North of Dunsop Bridge and 1/2 mile S of Whitendale Farm.

This area has a hell of a track record for raptors down the years (Golden Eagle, passage Ospreys, Rough-legged Buzzard, Goshawks etc, etc,) but presumably this announcement is to try to ensure through observer coverage that nothing untoward happens? I can't think why else a breeding site would be revealed.

John
It does seem a bit odd that this has been made public, lets hope it doesnt lead to any problems for the birds
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 12:54   #3
pe'rigin

Let's hope they are left alone, somehow I don't think that will happen.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 13:02   #4
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Funny old world, there's folk on this thread saying the Eagle Owls should be removed 'cos they might take the odd raptor, even though they live together across the continent, then other folks on another thread floating the idea of permitting the removal of eggs of a schedule one raptor to keep a few persecuting gamekeepers happy!

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 14:19   #5
mamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Funny old world, there's folk on this thread saying the Eagle Owls should be removed 'cos they might take the odd raptor, even though they live together across the continent, then other folks on another thread floating the idea of permitting the removal of eggs of a schedule one raptor to keep a few persecuting gamekeepers happy!
give the sites to eggers, as least the birds will get away without being shot!!!!
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 18:27   #6
Collster

Quote:
Where do you see that , are you reading something that i cant see?
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 18:30   #7
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
Where do you see that , are you reading something that i cant see?
Sorry, there are two threads running on the Eagle Owls for some reason and I have answered on the wrong one! In the other Poecile argues for the removal of the Eagle Owls

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 18:40   #8
Collster

Quote:
Sorry, there are two threads running on the Eagle Owls for some reason and I have answered on the wrong one! In the other Poecile argues for the removal of the Eagle Owls
No probs
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 20:02   #9
khurst

Quote:

Whats RBA
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 20:04   #10
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurst View Post
Whats RBA
Rare BirdAlert, a pager system giving twitchers and birder latest rarity news

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 20:06   #11
khurst

Thanks Jos
Old Wednesday 23rd May 2007, 22:33   #12
ikw101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post

John
Unless I'm very much mistaken Whitendale Farm is part of the United Utilities estate (Whitendale intake). Given the persecution and vulnerability of other raptors within the area I'm unconvinced the Eagle Owls are particulary welcome. Fortunately there is a lot of high tech, professional monitoring of the local raptor population. If the Eagle Owls decide to move on from cats, dogs, babies etc..... to some of these other species sadly their stay in Lancashire will be short lived.

Ian
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 18:27   #13
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Well the warden there yesterday told me they have been breeding in this wider area for a few years now.

It is united utilities land, but only just but the adjoining landowner was said to be an ok chap.
Old Monday 28th May 2007, 16:54   #14
DKR
Northern Refugee

Smile Tora tora tora!

I've just seen a report on BBC News 24 about these birds. There is a report on BBC News web site too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6698873.stm
Old Monday 28th May 2007, 19:19   #15
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

To say they are attacking is not really politically correct, for the Owls they are defending their young.
Old Monday 28th May 2007, 20:20   #16
Ade George

I hope this does not not cause too much bad press, or a bad name for eagle owls. You would not walk between a cow and its calf. Great birds and I hope they survive. Shame I cant make it down there.
Old Tuesday 29th May 2007, 18:44   #17
Sandra (Taylor)

Bob went to look at the owls yesterday and met someone who'd we'd met on Lesvos. He can't remember their name! Was it you, Damselfly? I'm just interested.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 15:20   #18
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

Went to see them today, brilliant. Both adults and three young showing well. Steady stream of birders going up the path to see them.
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 17:20   #19
Ian Latham

I am overjoyed to see these magnificent birds but am (as other Bird Forum members wll be) nervous regarding the reactions of less enthusiastic people such as the local land owners and farmers who will now be in discussion with the likes of the RSPB as to what to do with this conservational dilemma. I myself can only pray that these beautiful creatures are given every opportunity to rear their chicks and establish their species in the area as they have done elsewhere in Europe - without any detrimental effect on the surrounding enviroment

I spoke with the Rangers, Police and various other persons now involved with the issue and am satisfied that at present there is adequate surveylance (around the clock) to ensure the safety of the owls and their chicks.

There are a wide variety of rumours circulating the birding web sites at present but I remain sceptical and hope people can use common sense when they hear of such events. I can however confirm that a wildlife officer was attacked when he approached the nest (suprise, suprise) and that a walker and their collie dog were also greeted by the owls in the same manner.

The 3 chicks are now approximately 7 weeks old and are well fed and growing at a healthy rate. The family can be seen clearly from a designated viewing point and is a fantastic sight to watch.

If anyone is considering photographing them I would recommend at least a 500mm lens or Digiscoping equipment.........and a hard hat (just in case)!
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 08:25   #20
Brenty

Does anyone know if the birds are still showing. I am thinking of going to see them tomorrow.

I don't know the area so any directions to the viweing area would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 09:06   #21
SiG

Yes they are.

Park in Dunsop Bridge - there's a village car park, and another car park behind the Post Office. The track is the metalled road (you can't drive on it though) beside the Post Office. Look out for the Spotted Flycatchers nesting on the back of the Post Office, and Dippers on the Dunsop River here.

Follow the track for a total of 2.5 miles. The telegraph poles are numbered: the birds are between 67 and 68. Before you get there, however, as well as seeing Grey Wags in the river, Ring Ouzel on the moors and possible Goshawks overhead you eventually come to some artificial weirs and a bridge. When you cross the bridge you'll see that two of the footpath routes have been blocked "For Public Safety" - i.e. to stop the owls from eating your children. You therefore have to take the track that goes up the left hand side side of the right hand river, if you see what I mean. It does go up. And up, and up. And just when your legs have turned to marshmallows it goes gently down a little, through a gate and the owls are visible across the valley below eye level between posts 67 and 68.

If you're young and / or healthy it's a gentle stroll. If you're a forty a day ten pints a night person in your fifth decade or beyond you might need a breather.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 1st June 2007, 09:21   #22
malskelton
Enthusiastic Amateur

All of these reports and photos of the beautiful owls are making me twitchy

I've suggested to the missus a trip across the country

I'm planning on dropping her off at the Trafford Centre, then belting up to Dunsop Bridge before putting in some leg work to reach the viewing point - finally returning to the commercial nightmare of the Trafford Centre to see how much hammer she has given our bank account.

Just wondering whether it is pointless going in the morning - would be a lot better if we could, but not going to waste my time if they can't be seen until late afternoon.

Mal Skelton

197 | Masked Shrike 28/09/2014 - Kilnsea
198 | Red Necked Phalarope 03/06/2015 - Kilnsea Wetland
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 09:58   #23
rozinante
Anarchism is order

I don't think it will make much difference when you go Mal. The birds are sticking quite close to the nest site and are visible on the ground. I saw them on Sunday afternoon and only saw a short flight from 1 adult. One of the people I spoke to on the way up saw prey being carried in the morning.
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 10:14   #24
malskelton
Enthusiastic Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozinante View Post
I don't think it will make much difference when you go Mal. The birds are sticking quite close to the nest site and are visible on the ground. I saw them on Sunday afternoon and only saw a short flight from 1 adult. One of the people I spoke to on the way up saw prey being carried in the morning.
Fantastic thank you

Most of my birdwatching is done either early morning or late evening - but since this is the opposite side of the country, I was hoping an early start would get me there mid morning

I must admit I would love to see them fly - but a sitting Eagle Owl is still an Eagle Owl !!

I'm slowly working my way through the Owls - seen Barn, Little, Short Eared & just this last weekend Tawny. Of those the Little and Tawny didn't move, so I won't be devastated if the Eagle Owl doesn't feel like giving a display ......... maybe I should take the in-laws dog with me

Thanks for your help

Mal Skelton

197 | Masked Shrike 28/09/2014 - Kilnsea
198 | Red Necked Phalarope 03/06/2015 - Kilnsea Wetland
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 10:31   #25
rozinante
Anarchism is order

Quote:
Originally Posted by malskelton View Post
......... maybe I should take the in-laws dog with me
Perhaps not Mal.... :)
Attached Thumbnails