Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 21:22   #1
WmCCO-5

8x32 BN Armor Question

Hello. BN users, I would appreciate your input. I Just received a (factory new) 8x32 BN and in going over it noted that I can induce a very minute amount of flex in the armor (cover) on the lower surface at the ocular end of the left barrel. If I gently rub, or push and pull, from side to side with my index finger on the ribs I get a very, very slight amount of flex/movement in the rubber/armor covering (again, at the ocular end of the barrel). There are no air bubbles, separation or other obvious signs of inadequate adhesion. Is slight flexing/ motion of the cover normal in this location?

Thanks,
Bill
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 00:29   #2
Alexis Powell

It's normal. My 8x32 Ultra/Trinovid BA are that way, but it's no sign of weakness, just a reflection of the fact that the relatively hard armoring of these binos is more of a shell than a glued-on covering. I got mine in 1998 and have used them heavily around the world, including summertime use in the deserts of north Africa and the Middle East without any issues. In fact, I'd say they look as good as new! (of course, I take care of them, including an annual treatment with Armor-all).
--AP
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 01:21   #3
Surveyor
The more I understand, the more I understand why I do not understand more!

I agree with AP. I have felt it occasionally on both my 12x50 BN and 8x32 BA.
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 14:33   #4
Chris Ellison

What a sensible idea, Alexis! I have a pair of 10x42 BA Series Trinovids that I love dearly. The surface of the binoculars that faces the sun has become slightly faded from fifteen years of birding out in the scorching sun of open, treeless meadows and the blistering summer heat of Cape Cod.

I'll give your method a whirl!

I've been unable to induce the armor shifting mentioned by WmCCO-5.

CE
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 15:51   #5
WmCCO-5

Alexis and Surveyor,

Thank you for the information. Your diagnosis and remarks fit my "best guess" to a "T". The symptom seemed to me to be a normal characteristic as opposed to a problem but it is always reassuring to get input from experienced and knowledgeable users. My previous "armored" bins, to include my current FL, have exhibited very tight and almost rigid coverings.

By-the-way, the 8x32BN is an absolute diamond. I wish now that I had been able to test drive one years ago. Unfortunately, the opportunity just never presented itself. The little Trinivid has immediaely become my favorite, even over newer (and visually brighter) products from Zeiss, Leica and Swaro...one of those instances where the combination of all ergonomic and optical characteristics just seem to blend and produce a superb (total) package... at least for some people.

Thank you,
Bill

Last edited by WmCCO-5 : Friday 25th May 2007 at 16:54.
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 21:47   #6
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmCCO-5 View Post
...the combination of all ergonomic and optical characteristics just seem to blend and produce a superb (total) package... at least for some people. ..
I could never befriend myself with the ribs. Other than that, I fully agree. I had tried to file some of those ribs down, but that was a definite mistake. The feeling is now much worse with a rough surface that can't be smoothed.
!
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 14:10   #7
WmCCO-5

Hello Robert,

I do like/prefer ribs...especially with BBQ sauce. Seriously, if they were mine, I'd return the BN's to Leica for new factory armor....ideally, you would have 'em back in 2-3 weeks looking new. I would assume/hope that it is an easy job for them.

Bill

Last edited by WmCCO-5 : Saturday 26th May 2007 at 16:22.
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 20:34   #8
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmCCO-5 View Post
Hello Robert,

I do like/prefer ribs...especially with BBQ sauce. Seriously, if they were mine, I'd return the BN's to Leica for new factory armor....ideally, you would have 'em back in 2-3 weeks looking new. I would assume/hope that it is an easy job for them.

Bill
My main binoculars these days are the Zeiss 8x42 FL (I don't mind those ribs, or should I say their ribbing), thus the handy Leicas have been relegated to second in line. I don't feel like investing money into them as they still serve there present purpose very well. There is also a major scratch in the eyepiece lens, but it does not visibly affect the excellent view.
!
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: