• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skomer (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Planning a short trip to Skomer Island in a couple of weeks - I've googled but been unable to find out if there is any accommodation on the island?

Anyone know please?

D

The accomodation is in the old farmhouse in the centre of the island - an amazing experience to stay there overnight, the skies fill with Manx Shearwaters once dark and the paths each way from the farm have them crashing in all night. A short walk from there will be one of the world's most memorable - every chance a shearwater will crash into you! I stayed there for four weeks, mind-blowing.

Since then has been upgraded and, if renovation finished, offers a bit of luxury too. Went back last year as a day visitor, every bit as fantastic as it was last time I visited, but a day visitor only sees half the story. Last year the accomodation was being renovated and closed, I think now open, though you;ll be lucky to get a vacancy for May to June I would guess

Thanks Jos

You're right - they're full for May and June unfortunately. So my brother's now planning the YHA on the mainland - talking to him as I write this LOL

Isn't modern communication wonderfulo:D

D

We're staying for two nights next week.

Any advice on where and when on the island one should be for the best experience? Is a scope a good idea, or are the birds too close? I'd love to see Short-Eared Owl - am I in with a good chance?

I will be there next week as well. I am staying for a week as a volunteer warden from the 9th to the 16th. I will be wearing my BF badge, so any BF members visiting next week be sure to say hi if you see me.

We're staying for two nights next week.

Any advice on where and when on the island one should be for the best experience? Is a scope a good idea, or are the birds too close? I'd love to see Short-Eared Owl - am I in with a good chance?

You should see Short-eared Owl - their preferred area in the low damp valley just behind the farmhouse (where accomodation is). Scope useful for some things, eg close looking at The Wick, etc, but not vital. Up to you.

We're planning to stay a couple of nights near Marloes.

If the worst happens and the boat doesn't sail, where are other good birding spots near there, please?

D

We're planning to stay a couple of nights near Marloes.

If the worst happens and the boat doesn't sail, where are other good birding spots near there, please?

D

You could try Marloes Mere- there is a hide there. Also the coast and estuary on the approach to Dale is worth a visit. Sorry forgot the name.I was on Skomer a couple of weeks ago - fabulous- lots of puffins and we had a terrific view of a little owl. It sat on a wall fairly close to the farmhouse for about 15mins. Got some good photos and even a sketch. have a great time and be there in very good time for the boat!

Dryslwyn

Wow! What an experience that was. Walking around in the dark with Manxies flying all around was amazing. Even having one fly, full speed, into the side of my head was a thrill! Hope to get together a proper trip report in the next few days.

Wow! What an experience that was. Walking around in the dark with Manxies flying all around was amazing. Even having one fly, full speed, into the side of my head was a thrill! Hope to get together a proper trip report in the next few days.

Do you have a headache, Frank?:'D

I've been thinking about you and Didi and wondered how the trip went....will look forward to the report.

Joanne

Frank, I am soo jealous. Drove down on the 19th, had a great evening ovelooking Skomer watching 7/8 porpoise in a feeding frenzy in Jack Sound with masses of Mankies flying in, and looking forward to the night on Skomer, only to wake up next morning to a howling gale and no ferry at all that day, so drove home p***d off.
Ah well better luck next year.
David

Frank, I am soo jealous. Drove down on the 19th, had a great evening ovelooking Skomer watching 7/8 porpoise in a feeding frenzy in Jack Sound with masses of Mankies flying in, and looking forward to the night on Skomer, only to wake up next morning to a howling gale and no ferry at all that day, so drove home p***d off.
Ah well better luck next year.
David
Oh wow! That really was my biggest fear beforehand. I wouldn't have minded getting stuck on the island, but to be so close, yet so far away must be extremely annoying.

Just to make you feel worse - you can read my trip report here

You could try Marloes Mere- there is a hide there. Also the coast and estuary on the approach to Dale is worth a visit. Sorry forgot the name.I was on Skomer a couple of weeks ago - fabulous- lots of puffins and we had a terrific view of a little owl. It sat on a wall fairly close to the farmhouse for about 15mins. Got some good photos and even a sketch. have a great time and be there in very good time for the boat!

Dryslwyn

Sadly one of the Marloes hides had been burnt down when I visited April 2007

Can anyone tell me the best time to visit Skomer please to see young puffin emerging, although I realise there is no guarantee of this any time?

cheers

dave

i was there July 29 this year and was a bit late for the young puffins. only saw a couple of adults walking allong the paths and still feeding in burrows on the land. the sea was full of them. had an amazing view of a short eared owl quartering the field near the accomodation block for several minutes, it flew within 30 yards of us. i have already booked to go back and stay again twice next year. accomodation is simple but fine, you take all your own supplies. I took my scope and did use it several times. would be a shame to make all that effort and not have that one piece of kit when you need it.

EDITED to add that is is well worth a walk along the cliffs just at the top of and near to the track down to the bay where the ferry to skomer departs. sorry i do not know the name of the clump.
dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back