Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Monday 18th June 2007, 23:00   #51
ARTHUR BISHOP

One of the little muggers

The poor Blackbirds dont stand a chance when these get together.

Peter I wish I could paint water like you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spar.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	90115  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th June 2007, 01:54   #52
birdpotter

Tim, the terns are my favorite too.
Woody, you have made a snipe look majestic with that portrait---all the other sketches are really lovely too.
Peter, I love the light in both of these pieces.
Arthur, for some reason I really like the sparrow with his back turned towards us.

I swear to all of you I will get some mediocre sketches posted soon...I am kind of floundering in packing materials right now.
Everytime I visit this thread I get antsy and itchy for some serious sketch/art time for myself.

Best to all
Elizabeth

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th June 2007, 07:34   #53
timwootton

Have just commented in the Gallery that the reflected light from the water on the ducks is a stroke of a master, and the sparrow is a beautiful painting full of character - great work Peter. Arthur, you're constantly surpassing yourself - another brilliant page of sketches (and I know what Elizabeth means - it's the fact that we all see birds in this pose, but few are brave or talented enough to draw them inthis way - wonderful).
Hi Elizabeth - concentrate on getting the move completed, there'll be time enough fo art once you're relocated. (Won't let you off the hook so easily once you are, mind you! )
Hey VB - how was the South America trip (get any drawing done or was it just too amazing to just look?) Glad to hear you're back - post a report (if you haven't already).
Old Tuesday 19th June 2007, 20:06   #54
peter mathios

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments regarding the two paintings.

Arthur you really captured the personality of your sparrow and seem to have it in every sketch on the page. I really like that page:-)
Old Tuesday 19th June 2007, 20:59   #55
ARTHUR BISHOP

Thankyou all.

I hadn't finished this last night, a follow up coloured pencil sketch to the little muggers second love a dust bath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spar1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	90229  

Old Tuesday 19th June 2007, 21:21   #56
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Hey VB - how was the South America trip (get any drawing done or was it just too amazing to just look?) Glad to hear you're back - post a report (if you haven't already).
Absolutely fantastic, thanks Tim. There's a report posted under Vacational Trip Reports. I didn't manage to do anything as regards drawing, I was too busy looking!
Old Wednesday 20th June 2007, 12:38   #57
birdpotter

Arthur, you have really captured these guys! Tim put it better than I about the sparrow position from your first sketch...so, what he said applies, I think also to this piece.

Old Wednesday 20th June 2007, 22:09   #58
ARTHUR BISHOP

Thankyou Elizabeth I'me pleased you like.

Old Friday 22nd June 2007, 23:11   #59
timwootton

Hey VB - just been on your Equador trip and left a slightly more detailed message - but effing good stuff with cracking pics via the blog - brilliant.
Address for all who haven't been there
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=85765
Old Saturday 23rd June 2007, 01:20   #60
peter mathios

More Mallards

I've been painting mallards for a competition so here is a second piece -still in progress - of some more mallards. (The first was finished and posted in the gallery already, but I am getting an itch to make a couple of slight changes to it.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mallard group1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	90725  
Old Saturday 23rd June 2007, 09:52   #61
timwootton

Lovely atmosphere Peter and the collection of birds is totally convincing (I like the use of changing light effects on the drake's head which reflects blue, where the others are green - clever stuff).
Incidentally, you may have missed on my thread but I had a lovely couple from the States to do some birding with me this week. Discussing things in the car it transpires their son is a wildfowl fanatic. "I wonder if he's heard of Peter Mathios?" I asked them. "Whoa!!!! He's just the best - he's our favourite, too!!!!" came the reply.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2007, 10:12   #62
ARTHUR BISHOP

Lovely work Peter as always

Old Saturday 23rd June 2007, 17:58   #63
peter mathios

Quote:
Incidentally, you may have missed on my thread but I had a lovely couple from the States to do some birding with me this week. Discussing things in the car it transpires their son is a wildfowl fanatic. "I wonder if he's heard of Peter Mathios?" I asked them. "Whoa!!!! He's just the best - he's our favourite, too!!!!" came the reply.
Small World! Do you remember their names?
Old Saturday 23rd June 2007, 19:25   #64
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Hey VB - just been on your Equador trip and left a slightly more detailed message - but effing good stuff with cracking pics via the blog - brilliant.
Address for all who haven't been there
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=85765

Cheers Tim!
Old Sunday 24th June 2007, 11:27   #65
Dave B

I originally put this on Nick's new blog thread, but, as Tim suggested, perhaps it would be better here.

I'd like to recommend another sketching blog, recently set up by my cousin, Rich, who's a Scot, emigrated to Canada and now working as a 'news combat artist' in Afghanistan.

http://communities.canada.com/nation...l/default.aspx

No birds, but I'm sure you'll appreciate his art and text. Anyway, I'm dead proud to call him my cousin!

Cheers

Dave
Old Sunday 24th June 2007, 11:52   #66
timwootton

Just had a longer look at his blog, Dave - a very talented draughtsman - family trait, obviously!!! His lifework is stunning and adds a different dimension to the images of conflict. send my regards, please.
Old Sunday 24th June 2007, 12:06   #67
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
At last, we get to see one of your bird paintings! So now I know that you can do it! Let's address some of those points.

1) Lack of talent - you have got to be joking, you are very talented. You may confuse finding a way of incorporating birds as subject matter into your methods as a lack of talent, because the results won't at first be what you want. You'll find your way, lose your way, change direction and get frustrated but also you'll learn new things, see new things, surprise yourself, shock yourself etc etc. My advice is paint, worry later!

2) Photography is a cop out. No, I don't agree. Photography is a valid form of art, and your photos are beautiful. Painting birds wouldn't mean that photos are now obsolete, you would simply be adding another string to your bow.

3) Lack of patience. I don't think you need patience especially, often it's useful, but rarely necessary. I hardly have any patience for painting, I have an image in my head, and I want it on the paper straight away. Find shortcuts, birds feathers are rarely convincing if treated individually, they form masses and patterns.
You make some good points there Nick. I get assailed by the same self-doubts as Psilo does and I get discouraged and hacked off fairly quickly. I am also not blessed with the greatest amount of patience in the world, either moving on to something else within a minute or two or just being easily distracted.
For example, I have started sketching the garden birds this morning, now I am typing away on the computer and the sketchbook is still in the kitchen! I have a 'butterfly mind' in some ways and it irritates the hell out of me, yet I can't seem to break out of it. It's why I am less than prolific, months go by without so much as a single sketch finding it's way onto paper.
Old Sunday 24th June 2007, 12:15   #68
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

The important thing is you started, you can go back to it later. I had all day to paint and do everything yesterday and instead I spent all day drinking wine because I was fed up and finding old friends on facebook, when I did start to paint, it was gone midnight. I always put things off to the last minute.

We all get discouraged and hacked off with our artwork, other people are the only ones that will appreciate your work for what it is, and then you won't agree with them. Sometimes I wonder what the whole painting thing is all about, it seems more destructive than creative, but then artists have always been a strange bunch! :-)
Old Sunday 24th June 2007, 13:35   #69
birdpotter

I think it is important for all of us to recognize that we aren't out there alone in bouts of self-doubt.

I am always relieved to hear that others can be as scattered, or get as frustrated as I do.
Maybe it takes time and practice in the ritual of art; Maybe it is society who doesn't put value on making a living as an artist that instills our feelings that the work that we do isn't as significant as it should be.

All I know is, it is really good to have strong encouraging people such as you all willing to support each other.

Old Thursday 28th June 2007, 07:04   #70
Phil Davis

Hi all, I thought I was the only one who went through the self doubt trip. Good to know the rest of you do as sometimes your work looks so confident its hard to believe. I am part of a joint exhibition (not birds) opening on Friday and I am beset by doubt and worried that everyone else will sell out and I wont sell any! Everybody on this forum is amazingly supportive .
Phil.
Old Thursday 28th June 2007, 08:14   #71
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davis View Post
Hi all, I thought I was the only one who went through the self doubt trip. Good to know the rest of you do as sometimes your work looks so confident its hard to believe. I am part of a joint exhibition (not birds) opening on Friday and I am beset by doubt and worried that everyone else will sell out and I wont sell any! Everybody on this forum is amazingly supportive .
Phil.
My confidence comes and goes in sometimes quite alarming waves. Right now I think it's on the wane again but hopefully I'll work through it. It happens to us all I guess. Good luck with the exhibition.

Woody
Old Thursday 28th June 2007, 09:08   #72
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Part of my problem, I think, (*self-analysis time*), is that, as a teenager I drew and painted all the time but my mum and stepdad were of the sort who, instead of being encouraging, were inclined to say - 'You're not *that* good' (art) and 'You'll never amount to much' (everything else).

I know it sounds daft, but that has had a knock on effect my whole life.

Sooooo... this is why BF and the Wildlife art sub forum is so good, encouragement and help from fellow and aspiring artists. Cheers!

Last edited by Vectis Birder : Thursday 28th June 2007 at 09:21. Reason: Addition
Old Thursday 28th June 2007, 16:48   #73
ARTHUR BISHOP

Goodluck in the exhibition Phill

Old Friday 29th June 2007, 02:28   #74
birdpotter

VB, I had a similar experience growing up, but it was more along the lines of 'since you're a girl, do your little arty stuff and marry a fine man who will support you and all the children you should have'. Supportive, but not inspiring as far as self-worth goes.

Good luck Phil!

Old Friday 29th June 2007, 07:12   #75
Phil Davis

Hi all,

many thanks for the good wishes

Phil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: