Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 8th June 2007, 15:19   #1
Steven Astley

Black Grouse, World's End

Like to know the place or places to go to see them lekking in North Wales, there is meant to be a hide and also they can be seen from the road is this true and whereabouts is it. Also the general area for a chance of seeing Crossbills would be nice.
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 09:37   #2
Rob Smallwood

The car park at World's End held about 20 Crossbill a couple of weeks ago so should still be a good bet.

There is a hide nearby and "Lek" walks are arranged - but I haven't got the details to hand - they run from a nearby information centre I think.

Black Grouse are about a 70% chance at WE, although early birds tend to score highest due to the amount of disturbance from walkers, birders, mountain bikers and the like.

It's a beautiful spot on a nice day anyway, I'd recommend walking back up the hill behind the car park and scanning the opposite hillside, take a flask and some butties and just enjoy!
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 14:57   #3
Kezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smallwood View Post

..........."Lek" walks are arranged - but I haven't got the details to hand - they run from a nearby information centre I think.

Just thought I'd mention; The RSPB leaflet I was given last week says the walks only run from 1 April till 3 June.
BF Supporter 2007
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 15:49   #4
Rob Smallwood

Makes sense as they'll not lek much outside that period.
BF Supporter 2010
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 20:12   #5
Lichfield Birder
...should've been here 5 minutes ago, mate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Astley View Post
Like to know the place or places to go to see them lekking in North Wales, there is meant to be a hide and also they can be seen from the road is this true and whereabouts is it. Also the general area for a chance of seeing Crossbills would be nice.
Black Grouse lekking here in March this year. Please note this was easily visibly from the road with no disturbance to the birds.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

Crossbills anywhere here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

I went in March early one morning and saw 3 flying to right of yellow road and 5 lekking where top arrow is. Hope this helps.

Alan
"it's the dips that make you hungry for more...."

Last edited by Lichfield Birder : Sunday 10th June 2007 at 10:37.
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 21:26   #6
Rob Smallwood

Please don't disturb lekking Black Grouse here, or anywhere else, use the organised watches, or view from a distance please.
BF Supporter 2010
Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 21:59   #7
Steven Astley

Thanks for everybody's help, unfortunately I went early this morning could hear what I thought was Black Grouse but couldn't see anything so gave up having seen Crossbills at where Alan has pointed out on the map I decided to head up the hill on a designated footpath hoping I might catch a glimpse of one and seeing what else was about
Unfortunately it looks like I flushed a lek of about 12 males with 2 remaining only just viewable in the long vegetation, so I left them to it and went back down.
Also saw 2 cuckoos in 1 tree duelling with their songs and 5 Whinchats. Very nice area, ashame about the flushing. As Rob says I would recommend people go to the hide to avoid disturbance or else be very careful.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: